• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Kony Ealy the next great Panthers defensive end?

Jeremy Igo

I sure think he's got a great chance, but I caution against assuming one great game in a big moment means future dominance. Larry Brown, Ricky Manning Jr, Chris Matthews and Malcolm Smith all come to mind. Not to say it means nothing because Malcolm Butler and Justin Tuck both went on to become stars after big moments in the Super Bowl.

Looking at his entire body of work from the 2015 season is what leads me to believe he is on his way to becoming a stud rather than a MVP-like performance in the Super Bowl, but it is easy to get caught up in the hype since he was our only real bright spot from Sunday.

• Pie 2

This morning on WFNZ on the MaC Attack, Ron Rivera was being interviewed and said "to be honest, I wasn't as high on Kony Ealy as Dave Gettleman, but he said,  Ron, this is your next Josh Norman. Ron thinks it is starting to click with Ealy and he believes he is poised to do great things next season." I thought it was interesting at how honest Ron was when talking about a player.

• Pie 7

3 minutes ago, Bartin said:

I sure think he's got a great chance, but I caution against assuming one great game in a big moment means future dominance. Larry Brown, Ricky Manning Jr, Chris Matthews and Malcolm Smith all come to mind. Not to say it means nothing because Malcolm Butler and Justin Tuck both went on to become stars after big moments in the Super Bowl.

Looking at his entire body of work from the 2015 season is what leads me to believe he is on his way to becoming a stud rather than a MVP-like performance in the Super Bowl, but it is easy to get caught up in the hype since he was our only real bright spot from Sunday.

You read the first line and stopped, huh

• Pie 6

22 minutes ago, Zaximus said:

I think Ealy could have had 10 sacks or more this year if playing time wasn't poached from him when the vets had to "get their time".  

Unfortunately I think this is true or he would have had close to it anyway. 

It it would be interesting to know # of snaps between the three in each year. 

• Pie 4

5 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

You read the first line and stopped, huh

I read the whole thing. I guess I made it sound like I was disagreeing with you which wasn't really my intent. I'd just been wanting to say that because it seems like people are getting caught up in the hype of his monster game and this felt like the right place to say it.

• Pie 1

Also DG said in his presser that Norman and Ealy are hardheaded types of people. I think that speaks to them being hard to coach. He said Ron and his staff really had to get those two to believe that the coaching staff wanted the best from them on and off the field. It was a trust thing, I guess.

i do think we will see a jump from Ealy. I'm not talking about 15 sacks or anything but you will see him flash more as the game slows down for him. Getting more reps as a starter won't hurt either.

• Pie 3

32 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

After a Superbowl MVP type performance, there is a major buzz around Panthers defensive end Kony Ealy. 

Any chance you have some pics of him in his rookie camp vs the Super Bowl? From what I can tell, he's literally grown into this role. His weight on nfl.com only lists his as two pounds heavier this year than 2014, but I don't believe it. 

Funchess is another guy who is really going to benefit from world class weight room and trainers. 

• Pie 1

Just now, dldove77 said:

Any chance you have some pics of him in his rookie camp vs the Super Bowl? From what I can tell, he's literally grown into this role. His weight on nfl.com only lists his as two pounds heavier this year than 2014, but I don't believe it. 

Funchess is another guy who is really going to benefit from world class weight room and trainers. 

Listed weights pretty much never change from the players rookie years. Cam is still listed at 245 and he's at least 260 now.

• Pie 2

17 minutes ago, Louie said:

This morning on WFNZ on the MaC Attack, Ron Rivera was being interviewed and said "to be honest, I wasn't as high on Kony Ealy as Dave Gettleman, but he said,  Ron, this is your next Josh Norman. Ron thinks it is starting to click with Ealy and he believes he is poised to do great things next season." I thought it was interesting at how honest Ron was when talking about a player.

How the Giants, Chiefs and Browns passed over Gettleman boggles my mind, the guy has one of the best eyes for talent I've seen in a long time.

• Pie 2