• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hornets interested in Dwight!!!

bLACKpANTHER

12 minutes ago, Zaximus said:

Hasn't Clifford worked with Howard before?  

Ewing coached him early in his career while Cliff was an assistant on the same team. These two guys know him well. IF this deal happens it's because of that comfort level. He'd need to be open to a long term contract to make it go though

6 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

Ewing coached him early in his career while Cliff was an assistant on the same team. These two guys know him well. IF this deal happens it's because of that comfort level. He'd need to be open to a long term contract to make it go though

Right that is what I was thinking.  

I know he's a risk, but I feel this team, with how terrible we draft, have to win like this.  

IMO, here is the case for Dwight:

Hornets expirings:

Jefferson, Batum, Lee, Williams, Lin (decline player option), Hansbrough, Zeller

All totaled that is a little bit more than Dwight's deal. Of those expirings, none are max guys and none are absolute must re-signs (unless you count Batum because of dealing Vonleh.)

For too long this team has tried to strike a balance between careful spending and youth to create flexibility. Unfortunately, the result is what we have seen for the last three years: a treadmill team with no clear direction and no talent to get them off of the cycle.

Dwight is that next level type of talent this franchise has never found, even if he isn't what he once was. His history leaves him as a scapegoat for a toxic situation in Houston even though all indications are he hasn't been a problem.

Trade for him, and all of a sudden Kemba-Batum-Dwight gets real interesting in the East down the stretch. If he doesn't re-sign, you easily just blow things up and start over with another rebuild for a franchise that has probably been avoiding the inevitable for awhile.

Win-win situation.

3 hours ago, cbarrier90 said:

IMO, here is the case for Dwight:

Hornets expirings:

Jefferson, Batum, Lee, Williams, Lin (decline player option), Hansbrough, Zeller

All totaled that is a little bit more than Dwight's deal. Of those expirings, none are max guys and none are absolute must re-signs (unless you count Batum because of dealing Vonleh.)

For too long this team has tried to strike a balance between careful spending and youth to create flexibility. Unfortunately, the result is what we have seen for the last three years: a treadmill team with no clear direction and no talent to get them off of the cycle.

Dwight is that next level type of talent this franchise has never found, even if he isn't what he once was. His history leaves him as a scapegoat for a toxic situation in Houston even though all indications are he hasn't been a problem.

Trade for him, and all of a sudden Kemba-Batum-Dwight gets real interesting in the East down the stretch. If he doesn't re-sign, you easily just blow things up and start over with another rebuild for a franchise that has probably been avoiding the inevitable for awhile.

Win-win situation.

I'm not big on DH but this post makes the most sense to me. Basically we don't have anything to lose with this current squad if he doesn't resign. 

What would we have to give up for Howard? Would Al, Hawes and a completely unprotected first rounder next year be enough? Could we get by with just this year's pick unprotected? I'd rather the team didn't give up Frank, Zeller or the flexibility of Marvin's expiring but not sure what Houston wants for him.

47 minutes ago, RoaringRiot said:

The first rounders we get picking 15-20 aren't any good anyway. Without being in position to pick a star then who cares really? 

Exactly. And that is where I think ultimately the negotiations broke down.

Morey is a smart guy, so while Cho and company probably have no problem parting with any expirings or that "useless" first this year, Morey probably wants a future first as well and Cho, knowing that both sides realize Dwight probably isn't re-signing here, wants to hang on to that first in the event the situation I presented ends up playing out.

We saw this type of trade happen years ago with Boston and Brooklyn and it will go down as one of the worst trades of all time.

The longer teams avoid making offers for Dwight, the better the leverage Charlotte has in this deal but i think another team will swoop in and get him.

With a free roster spot, Cho probably makes a deadline deal similar to the Lee trade and that will be that.

Archived