• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Mock Offseason

CatalystNX

My first attempt of the offseason...

RELEASE:
DE Charles Johnson
DE Jared Allen

FRANCHISE TAG:
CB Josh Norman

CONTRACT EXTENSIONS:
C Ryan Kalil (4 years)

RE-SIGN:
QB/WR/ST Joe Webb (2 years)
DT Kyle Love (2 years)
OG Amini Silatolu (2 years)
FB Mike Tolbert (1 year)
WR Brenton Bersin (1 year)

--------------------------

FREE AGENCY:
DE Mario Williams (3 years): He's widely expected to be cut by the Bills and despite being over 30, I think he's got enough left in the tank to offer a moderately sized 2-3 year deal to finally get the chance to play for a contender late in his career.

OT Matt Kalil (2 years): Word is he's likely to be cut by Minnesota after disappointing at the NFL level. The obvious fit here is that he could hopefully finally live up to some of that potential if paired with his brother on the Panthers OL. If not, we cut him loose.

DE Derrick Shelby (3 years): While Oliver Vernon is getting most of the attention (and rightfully so) Shelby also played well down the stretch for Miami and would be a much cheaper option for us as a solid rotational pass rusher.

CB Patrick Robinson (2 years): I know we were interested in him last offseason, but he signed with the Chargers instead. He's been inconsistent during his career, but is exactly the type of low risk/high reward bargain signing we've done well with under Dave Gettleman. He can play nickel, which is a big weakness for us right now. Ideally, we can move Bene' outside this year, where he's a better fit, IMO.

DT Akiem Hicks (2 years): He really seemed to come on strong after being traded to the Patriots and would be a good fit for our DL rotation behind Short and Star on a relatively cheap 2 year deal.

P Bryan Anger (3 years): Brad Nortman is a free agent and rather than re-signing him or investing another draft pick in a punter, I like the idea of signing Anger. He's always been known as the guy the Jags took over Russell Wilson, but he's got a big leg and would be an upgrade over Nortman for us.

OL Manuel Ramirez (1 year): A decent swing guard-center for depth purposes, Ramirez seems like a good fit on a cheap 1 year deal.

2016 DRAFT:
1st: Kevin Dodd, DE, Clemson:
Our pass rush was up and down last season, with the defensive end position being mostly responsible for that. In this scenario I have both Jared Allen and Charles Johnson being shown the door and while Mario Williams is the immediate upgrade in this scenario, Dodd would be the long-term solution.

2nd (TRADE UP): William Jackson III, CB, Houston: With Josh Norman receiving the franchise tag, we'll be looking for a long-term answer at the position and in this scenario we trade our 3rd rounder to move up into the early 2nd and grab Houston's William Jackson III to be that guy.

3rd: TRADED

4th: Jason Spriggs, OT, Indiana: Michael Oher will likely remain the starter at left tackle for 2016 and despite bringing in Matt Kalil in this scenario, we will double-down and draft a young tackle to groom in the event that the Kalil bros experiment is a failure.

5th: Glenn Gronkowski, FB, Kansas State: Mike Tolbert isn't getting any younger and in this scenario we bring him back on a 1-year deal. Gronk's little brother would be the long-term answer to replacing Tolbert in our offense.

6th: Antwaun Woods, DT, USC: It never hurts to keep your strengths strong and with a late-rounder we add some talent that will hopefully help keep our DT rotation strong.

7th: TRADED TO SEATTLE (Kevin Norwood)

1 hour ago, CatalystNX said:

RELEASE:
DE Charles Johnson
DE Jared Allen

FRANCHISE TAG:
CB Josh Norman

CONTRACT EXTENSIONS:
C Ryan Kalil (4 years)

RE-SIGN:
DT Kyle Love (2 years)
FB Mike Tolbert (1 year)

FREE AGENCY:
DE Mario Williams (3 years): He's widely expected to be cut by the Bills and despite being over 30, I think he's got enough left in the tank to offer a moderately sized 2-3 year deal to finally get the chance to play for a contender late in his career.

OT Matt Kalil (2 years): Word is he's likely to be cut by Minnesota after disappointing at the NFL level. The obvious fit here is that he could hopefully finally live up to some of that potential if paired with his brother on the Panthers OL. If not, we cut him loose.

DE Derrick Shelby (3 years): While Oliver Vernon is getting most of the attention (and rightfully so) Shelby also played well down the stretch for Miami and would be a much cheaper option for us as a solid rotational pass rusher.

CB Patrick Robinson (2 years): I know we were interested in him last offseason, but he signed with the Chargers instead. He's been inconsistent during his career, but is exactly the type of low risk/high reward bargain signing we've done well with under Dave Gettleman. He can play nickel, which is a big weakness for us right now. Ideally, we can move Bene' outside this year, where he's a better fit, IMO.

DT Akiem Hicks (2 years): He really seemed to come on strong after being traded to the Patriots and would be a good fit for our DL rotation behind Short and Star on a relatively cheap 2 year deal.

P Bryan Anger (3 years): Brad Nortman is a free agent and rather than re-signing him or investing another draft pick in a punter, I like the idea of signing Anger. He's always been known as the guy the Jags took over Russell Wilson, but he's got a big leg and would be an upgrade over Nortman for us.

OL Manuel Ramirez (1 year): A decent swing guard-center for depth purposes, Ramirez seems like a good fit on a cheap 1 year deal.

2016 DRAFT:
Our pass rush was up and down last season, with the defensive end position being mostly responsible for that. In this scenario I have both Jared Allen and Charles Johnson being shown the door and while Mario Williams is the immediate upgrade in this scenario, Dodd would be the long-term solution.

2nd (TRADE UP): William Jackson III, CB, Houston: With Josh Norman receiving the franchise tag, we'll be looking for a long-term answer at the position and in this scenario we trade our 3rd rounder to move up into the early 2nd and grab Houston's William Jackson III to be that guy.

4th: Jason Spriggs, OT, Indiana: Michael Oher will likely remain the starter at left tackle for 2016 and despite bringing in Matt Kalil in this scenario, we will double-down and draft a young tackle to groom in the event that the Kalil bros experiment is a failure.

5th: Glenn Gronkowski, FB, Kansas State: Mike Tolbert isn't getting any younger and in this scenario we bring him back on a 1-year deal. Gronk's little brother would be the long-term answer to replacing Tolbert in our offense.

6th: Antwaun Woods, DT, USC: It never hurts to keep your strengths strong and with a late-rounder we add some talent that will hopefully help keep our DT rotation strong.

Im putting this in every dumb FA thread I see

10611290_331298430414241_998565631_n.jpg

1 hour ago, CatalystNX said:

RELEASE:
DE Charles Johnson
DE Jared Allen

FRANCHISE TAG:
CB Josh Norman

CONTRACT EXTENSIONS:
C Ryan Kalil (4 years)

RE-SIGN:
DT Kyle Love (2 years)
FB Mike Tolbert (1 year)

FREE AGENCY:

2016 DRAFT:

OooWee 

Jason Spriggs would be a great addition but he is likely going late 1st-mid 2nd.

Dodd is the guy I like in the 1st as well. 

I also think Tolbert signing a 1-year deal, and allowing us to groom his replacement, is too good to be true for us. I'd imagine he is going to want a longer deal done before he gets any older. A 30-year old taking a one year deal when there is potential for a longer one out there is kinda dumb imo. But who knows...maybe he'd do it.

Archived