• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Our first round pick: this CB?

JawnyBlaze

William Jackson III showed out at the combine, did very well at pretty much everything.  Some here have mentioned him as a potential high pick for us, probably a 1st rounder to someone.  I don't know much about him, haven't studied his breakdowns yet, but I will soon and add them to my CB prospects post.  What would you guys think about it?  I say if Ogbah and Dodd are gone and unless some great prospect at another position of at least marginal need falls to us, I'd be all about drafting this guy if he's there.

I don't love how he tackles. I feel like if we take a corner in round 1, it will be Alexander. It's more likely to me tho that we take DL early and draft a guy who understands zone concepts and plays with his eyes like Cyrus Jones, DJ White, or Sean Davis in the mid rounds.

Honestly I don't like Alexander or Apple.  Alexander gets lost in coverage when a WR makes a move, reminded me of Capt Munnerlyn when he was playing out wide in the breakdown games I watched.  Apple is worse than Deion when it comes to making a tackle.  He is scared to death of contact.  And he doesn't have Deion's other gifts to make up for that flaw.

I haven't watched Jackson's breakdowns yet, but I probably will tonight or tomorrow night.  I'll know then whether or not I think he'd be a good pick in the 1st.

The latest mock draft at Walter Football (March 1) is running.

Has us taking CB Mackensie Alexander in the 1st and DT Austin Johnson in the 2nd.   Tons of good DEs flew off the board in the 1st round...  (especially since both Spence & Nkemdiche dropped down into the low 40s due to their bad combines.)  if it's at all close to reality, could make it hard to find the DE we're looking for in the 1st, making the possibility of a CB stronger.

If Nkemdiche is there when we pick in the first we gotta take him. His "character issues" aren't even a big deal. The legality of spice is still questionable in a lot of places (dunno about Mississippi) and as long as it's not a continuing problem, who cares. From what I heard he supposedly interviewed pretty well. He's not like Spence, who reportedly did NOT interview well, and is without a real position.  Definitely no position on our 4-3 defense. 

I just don't see us going with a DB early. One more 1st or 2nd round pick at DE and our entire starting front 7 would be top 64 picks. Meanwhile our starting CBs are 5th rounders, and our presumed starters at safety are a 4th and a career journeyman. Could be wrong, just doesn't seem like we'd go DB until maybe the 3rd.

7 hours ago, jdpanther5 said:

I just don't see us going with a DB early. One more 1st or 2nd round pick at DE and our entire starting front 7 would be top 64 picks. Meanwhile our starting CBs are 5th rounders, and our presumed starters at safety are a 4th and a career journeyman. Could be wrong, just doesn't seem like we'd go DB until maybe the 3rd.

I tend to agree.  From the mocks I've done, it seems like some decent 2nd tier DBs will be around in the 3rd or 4th,  (especially if we're mostly looking for Nickels) whereas almost all the decent DEs would be long gone.

On 3/1/2016 at 3:49 AM, The Lone Panther said:

I would be very surprised if we took a corner in the 1st.  Still think we take a DE. 

Don't be. Gentleman doesn't ever draft for need. BPA all day every day.

And believe it or not, corner is one of our biggest needs, even if we sign Josh to a deal.

I'm not hot on Jackson yet, but I love him a lot. Fwiw, I felt the same way about Shaq last year.

Pros is he'd fit us like a damn glove. Zone cover DB who plays loose and has very good movement in his hips. Ball hawk who often makes plays on the ball. And he's very fast with good size.

Cons are Jesus this man cannot tackle. He plays very undisciplined trying to tackle and often bounces off of people. Can get out physicaled at the top of routes at times. Not sure he'd be ready to start anytime soon.

On 3/1/2016 at 5:34 PM, JawnyBlaze said:

If Nkemdiche is there when we pick in the first we gotta take him. His "character issues" aren't even a big deal. The legality of spice is still questionable in a lot of places (dunno about Mississippi) and as long as it's not a continuing problem, who cares. From what I heard he supposedly interviewed pretty well. He's not like Spence, who reportedly did NOT interview well, and is without a real position.  Definitely no position on our 4-3 defense. 

Talent-wise nkemdiche should be a top 5 lock and go before bosa.

There where HUGE questions before his drunken\high swan drive. Old saying incoming- birds of a feather flock together. When all of your crew are turds and your right-hand /brother/best friend is a turd, well your a turd too. Even if you where not, hanging out with turds slowly you start to smell and start having turd ideas thoughts.

Now the last thing you want to do is give a turd&crew millions of dollars, why? Cause now you have a bigger turd.

If you overlook that, hes still a weird, aloof, strange dude. In his mind, Hes a victim. rather than than showing accountability or willingness to change. I hope this doesn't come off wrong, but he showed up to the biggest job interview with stupid/crazy hair. Plus his choice of language, tone, and word choice was awful as well. Not saying he should removed all tattoos (maybe the dumb ones....), get a short hair cut, and put on his best white guy voice...... But change your appearance when they're questions of your saneness or turd factor.

Now if he convinced me he loved football more than anything and other of my trusted people believe he wouldn't be a problem off-field... Thus growup. I'd be open to drafting him, but he's a higgggh risk 1st. You cannot play if suspended, doesn't matter if you average 5 sacks a game.

On March 1, 2016 at 5:34 PM, JawnyBlaze said:

I agree if he is there then you run and get that card in after that I hope for that center from Alabama to drop to the 2nd then I see us taking a CB in the 3rd

Archived