• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers NFL Draft Wide Receiver Prospects

Jeremy Igo

9 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Shepard has far more college production.  He had almost 1300 receiving yards last season.  Dorsett never had a 900 yard season at Miami.

Dorsett came from a pro style offense, Shepard is from a crazy college offense that played in the Big 12. So I doubt he gets drafted as high as Dorsett

16 hours ago, davos said:

Haven't gotten a chance to check out this Listenbee guy.  A lot of good discussion has been had about Shepard though...he's been one to keep an eye on for a while now.  Has been consistently ranked in top-45 on big boards for what it's worth.   

Listenbee is a track star who plays football and that is evident when you watch him play. Fast as all hell but it really doesn't look like he has any idea what he's doing and he is pretty bad at finding the ball on deep routes. 4th or 5th rounder who needs some work, but has some solid potential. His hands and size aren't a big concern which is different than most pure track guys,

19 minutes ago, rodeo said:

I would love to have Cooper. Immediate Brown upgrade and eventual Ginn upgrade. A shifty burner in the slot with KB and Funchess outside. Would be a killer.

In fairness, Cooper isn't really a burner.  He's a great fit for the slot role but he's not going to take the top off of a defense like Ginn.  He will make his money catching balls over the middle and generating YAC

I really like Cooper and think he would be a great fit for the team, just don't expect that type of speed out of him.  Byrd (another former gamecock receiver who is on the practice squad) has that type of speed but I'm not sure he's big enough or skilled enough to make the league.

Edited by uscgamecocks

21 minutes ago, uscgamecocks said:

In fairness, Cooper isn't really a burner.  He's a great fit for the slot role but he's not going to take the top off of a defense like Ginn.  He will make his money catching balls over the middle and generating YAC

I really like Cooper and think he would be a great fit for the team, just don't expect that type of speed out of him.  Byrd (another former gamecock receiver who is on the practice squad) has that type of speed but I'm not sure he's big enough or skilled enough to make the league.

Yeah I don't watch college football, so whoever fits the mold I described is who I want.

4 hours ago, uscgamecocks said:

We'll see come TC. Byrd had a decent preseason

21 minutes ago, beastson said:

We'll see come TC. Byrd had a decent preseason

Trust me, I'm rooting for him as my screen name would imply.  He could be money in this offense with the way Cam improved his deep ball last year.  His best chance to make the roster is probably the 2017 season, once Ginn's contract expires.  He's got the speed to fill that role if he can develop his route running and consistency.  Dude is fast.

31 minutes ago, The Lobo said:

Don't know when it was, but on Twitter I saw we had a private workout with Will Fuller. 

I think all these workouts with 1st/2nd round receivers means WR is definitely in play at 30. 

They've taken a close look at all of the top receivers, and most of them are not expected to make it to our 2nd round pick.  So, I do think they are seriously considering a receiver in the 1st.  Of course, a pass rusher or someone they have highly rated unexpectedly dropping would probably trump receiver, but despite some people dismissing it as a possibility, it very well could happen.  I believe the Super Bowl exposed our receiving corps a bit and I think lost some of the team's confidence in them for big games.  As a result, I expect a minor overhaul (Cotch already gone, and Ginn & Brown having diminished roles).   

57 minutes ago, The Lobo said:

Don't know when it was, but on Twitter I saw we had a private workout with Will Fuller. 

"Will Fuller workout Panthers" search on twitter only brings back results from 2014 talking about Kyle Fuller so I'm inclined to say you're misremembering.

Something to take note of: Having prospects in for visits doesn't always mean what you think.  The staff could maybe see a guy that definitely looks interesting but has some question marks they want to check about---the interview could result in the FO either really wanting said prospect or slide them down the draft board.