• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Let's get this out of the way, to be a Panther you have to WANT to be a Panther

Addition by Subtraction.

3 years ago it was Jon Beason, 2 years ago it was Smitty and Greg Hardy, last year it was Deangello and this year its Josh Norman.

5 pro-bowl/all-pro/even borderline hall of fame players. Gettleman let them all walk away because they were asked to do certain things to fit this new Panthers team. In some cases it was accept a level of pay that would help us build a team rather than reward one player, in other cases it was taking reduced snaps or even take a mentoring role rather than be the shining star in the locker room.  

In all of these cases GMan proved that to build a team you sometimes have to remove guys with agendas other than coming in and wanting to be the best teammate they can be. It doesn't matter how talented you are, you can always be replaced by someone who just wants to be a part of this organisation more than you.

It leaves you with people like Greg Olsen, Thomas Davis, Luke Keuchly and Ryan Kalil. Guys that would rather play one more snap in a Panthers uniform instead of being the highest paid player at their position. Guys like Kawaan Short, Mike Remmers, Andrew Norwell and Bene Benwickere, who don't need to have flashy social media presences or "Look at me" personalities.

Most importantly it leaves you with a DRAMA FREE locker room and if you don't understand how important that is just read what 10 year veterans like Jared Allen, Roman Harper and Charles Tillman said about the locker room last year.

Being a Panther is finally becoming a privilege instead of a right. Gman is not just the anit-Hurney in the way he determines the value of players and rewards them, but he has also made sure that the guys that remain on the team truly want to be here.

Everyone says that a drama free lockerroom is great but I think you need that tension at times. Cam and Josh fighting in training camp elevated the the team's play. I don't think anyone can deny that. And I think if we had a little more tension going into the superbowl, we would have performed better. 

One thing that no one can take away from Josh is that he gave his all out there on the field, I'd never heard of clashing with his teammates besides Rivera's mysterious dog house his first few years. I'll definitely miss that character and play making ability.

But it's far from the end.

4 minutes ago, PantherBoy95 said:

Eh while I agree to an extent, there is a difference between a guy being a distraction and wanting what he perceives to be his worth.

There's a difference to being a distraction and wanting something else (in this case more money) ahead of being on the team. When Luke's contract negotiations started do you think he was thinking "I reckon I need 11m a year to be considered in the same league as Willis and Bowman" or when the next gym session was planned for the week?

3 minutes ago, IGSaint said:

Everyone says that a drama free lockerroom is great but I think you need that tension at times. Cam and Josh fighting in training camp elevated the the team's play. I don't think anyone can deny that. And I think if we had a little more tension going into the superbowl, we would have performed better. 

Competition and tension between the defence and offence on the field is a very different thing to drama in the locker room.

2 minutes ago, London Loves Luke said:

There's a difference to being a distraction and wanting something else (in this case more money) ahead of being on the team. When Luke's contract negotiations started do you think he was thinking "I reckon I need 11m a year to be considered in the same league as Willis and Bowman" or when the next gym session was planned for the week?

Well Luke was made the highest paid MLB in the league so he really didn't have to worry about that.

I WANT to be a Panther! And I am a Panther! And if the GettleFather makes a move, I've bought in, and I agree with him.  Although Norman was great for our Defense and entertaining to watch.  When it came down to putting team before himself we see the result.  In Gettleman I trust!  Panthers4Life!  PSL since 97! Lets go baby! Bring on the Draft and bring on those ponies!

None of those players were let go because they didn't want to be a Panther. Beason loved this organization like it was an extension of his being, but looked washed up. Smith had become a spiteful dweeb. Hardy wanted to stay here, and Deangelo had become of far less value than the contract he was receiving. Norman very clearly wanted to be here.

This is a silly revisionist post trying to think of a credible reason for cutting a good player by tossing out something seemingly intangible that can't be disputed but failing horribly because literally everyone knows how badly players like Jon Beason and Josh Norman love this organization.

11 minutes ago, Growl said:

None of those players were let go because they didn't want to be a Panther. Beason loved this organization like it was an extension of his being, but looked washed up. Smith had become a spiteful dweeb. Hardy wanted to stay here, and Deangelo had become of far less value than the contract he was receiving. Norman very clearly wanted to be here.

This is a silly revisionist post trying to think of a credible reason for cutting a good player by tossing out something seemingly intangible that can't be disputed but failing horribly because literally everyone knows how badly players like Jon Beason and Josh Norman love this organization.

Not hard to guess who would have a hard time understanding this thread. You've just given 4 excuses for people who "loved" this organisation BUT.... I'm sure there are lots of people that would like to be part of the Panthers but not necessarily enough to put their pride to one side.

If you think I'm making these intangibles up then go and have a look at what some of the vets that were with us last year said about the locker room last year. Heck even the year before when we went through all the adversity but still managed to stay together as a team and turn it around. This team has functioned best without distractions and individuals who put themselves driving their own agendas. If you can't see that you haven't been paying attention.

3 minutes ago, carolina-chuck2 said:

Can we talk about Olivier Vernon? 

Could we have pursue him if we had just let Norman walk in the first place??? :)

I'm sure we could have, but I'm still hedging bets that either way, that money will be used for KK.  I just think now, it will be sooner, rather than later.

Archived