• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The DE Position

Woodie

Ok, I'm on record for not being 100% sold on the Butler pick.  I feel he is somewhat redundant, and I do have some reservations of him as a player.  With that said, I trust Gettleman, and bow to his superior knowledge.  So, I will give him a fair shot.

With that said, many feel that DE is a major position of need for us, and can't believe that if we went DL that it wasn't one of the DE's.  But, what if the team likes the guys already on the team as much if not more than what was available to us.  What if they don't see it as the major need that many fans and media think?

While we believe guys like Dodd or Ogbah could be CJ's replacement, Gettleman may see guys like Miley and Cox as the answer.  He may not think DE is the absolute must pick that many of us do.  We already have one solid starting DE and some solid depth, but what if the team truly believes that the answer really is on the roster? 

I think we need to be patient and wait and see how the 2016 team is put together.  By the time the season starts, we all may be saying "Dodd who" "Ogbah who."  After all, I remember thinking that if Cox can produce like he did in preseason in regular season games that we could have a special pass rusher on our hands.  And Gettleman singled out Miley as someone already on the roster that he really likes.  So, who knows, we may find a surprise in our stocking come September.   

8 minutes ago, Nate Dogg said:

We have 5 more picks man.

True, but many felt DE was a bigger need than DT in the 1st, and my point was that while that may seem to be the case, Gettleman may not see it as big of a need as some fans.  It's not about us being able to fill a need, but is there really a major need to fill.

4 minutes ago, Woodie said:

True, but many felt DE was a bigger need than DT in the 1st, and my point was that while that may seem to be the case, Gettleman may not see it as big of a need as some fans.  It's not about us being able to fill a need, but is there really a major need to fill.

Gettleman does not draft for need. He's said it over and over. You can disagree with that but he does what he says.

1 minute ago, csx said:

Gettleman does not draft for need. He's said it over and over. You can disagree with that but he does what he says.

But that has nothing to do with what I'm saying.  I'm trying to make the point (and obviously doing a poor job of it) of saying that Gettleman may really like the young guys already on our roster.  And that despite what many fans and media think, DE may not be a big need. 

It's more about how Gettleman sees the potential of Delaire, Cox, Miley, etc., than anything else.   

Here's a thought on it.  Guys you draft "have" to be, or will become, better than those guys on your roster.  I think as Gettleman looks at players, he's constantly debating them versus what he already has.  While it's easy for the media to say what they want, like why we didn't draft Dodd or someone, Gettleman has done a great job of roster building his way.  It could be that there wasn't a huge difference between these late first guys and 4th rounders in their evaluation.  And that our guys have the traits to be better than those guys.

I don't know, I'm full of it!

1 minute ago, Woodie said:

But that has nothing to do with what I'm saying.  I'm trying to make the point (and obviously doing a poor job of it) of saying that Gettleman may really like the young guys already on our roster.  And that despite what many fans and media think, DE may not be a big need. 

It's more about how Gettleman sees the potential of Delaire, Cox, Miley, etc., than anything else.   

It's more about viewing Butler as having much higher potential in the system than any other player available 

15 minutes ago, csx said:

Everyone drafts with their own basis of bias, preference and need.

Gentlemen does too.  

His entire hogmolly pledge from day one shows he has a bias/slant that influences who he picks

again, I don't dislike Dave or his pick.  Dave still has time to make everything right....but given he has gone overboard at DT he has some extra work IMO left before he gets the thumbs up on the pick 

17 minutes ago, Castavar said:

I can't believe people are totally dismissing Delaire. I still think he will be something special. I also heard he was playing injured last year.

There's reason to be somewhat cautious on the Delaire hype. His breakout game came against the Bucs rookie OT who sucked and there was no tape of Delaire at the time. Then he got some good pressure the following game against Seattle's terrible OL. Then there was enough tape on him and he basically disappeared for the rest of the season. I think he's solid and will get better. He's got the athleticism but he needs plenty of work. If he turns into Mario Addison then I will be thrilled.

If you draft for need and reach. You often get less talent from your selection. Unless your picking in the top 15 having a need and BPA be the the same player is very rare. You have to trust your scouts and draft board you spent so much time making. If a player is left at the top of your board you take him regardless of position. 

Archived