• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Met Steve Smith today

JawnyBlaze

2 hours ago, bleedsgreenandgold said:

Classic case of a great person taking business a little too personal.

I'm sure if your boss fired you and publicly told everyone you are too old and a disruption in the workplace you might not be too keen to see him again for a while.

Gentleman has learned his lesson from that and treated subsequent cuts with more respect. It's a lesson he had to learn. Steve will come back, but on his own schedule - not ours.

24 minutes ago, TN05 said:

I'm sure if your boss fired you and publicly told everyone you are too old and a disruption in the workplace you might not be too keen to see him again for a while.

Gentleman has learned his lesson from that and treated subsequent cuts with more respect. It's a lesson he had to learn. Steve will come back, but on his own schedule - not ours.

He did not say he was a disruption.  He did say nobody can play forever or something like that.

11 minutes ago, csx said:

He did not say he was a disruption.  He did say nobody can play forever or something like that.

Correct. The Panthers never made any such statement.

Bill Voth reported on what was going on behind the scenes, but neither Gettleman nor any other team official ever made any derogatory remarks about Smith.

The decision to cut Smith is the ultimate evidence as to why Gettleman is the top GM in the league right now. Who else would have had the balls to do that?  Maybe after he retires and puts in some film time 89 would, but he's going to be too busy behind the mic.

Sure, Gman did not say he was a distraction... but it got out.  Everyone knew the reason was it was Cam's time to lead the team and to keep Smith on the roster with Cam as the leader was just impossible.  Gman said all the right things but he didn't kiss the runner up ring from '03 and that slight will always keep him on the 89 hit list.

Is it possible to love both of them?

4 hours ago, JawnyBlaze said:

Some people would have preferred it was handled a little more ceremoniously than as if he were some practice squad guy that got let go. But that's not the point of this thread, I don't wanna get into an argument about old news.  I'm just happy I was able to shake the hand of my favorite player of all time and he was very nice to me and my daughter, standing out there shaking hands, taking pictures and signing autographs with a buncha people in the scorching heat after running a football camp for an hour or two.

I saw people with 25, 30, even 35+ years with my former company get dropped with no notice and told their belongings would be packed and shipped to them during the recession in '09. 

poo happens to everyone sometimes. 

Just now, Montsta said:

I saw people with 25, 30, even 35+ years with my former company get dropped with no notice and told their belongings would be packed and shipped to them during the recession in '09. 

yea, poo happens.  But I wouldn't hold it against those people to be a little bitter either, heh.

2 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

yea, poo happens.  But I wouldn't hold it against those people to be a little bitter either, heh.

Fair enough, but when you go into a relationship knowing that there is no loyalty either way, you can't be mad when the lack of loyalty rears its ugly head. 

7 minutes ago, Montsta said:

hell even in an NFL context some anonymous small school tryhard bouncing around the league until he suffers some kind of career ending injury and gets thrown out of the league like a load blown in a tissue and gets to deal with chronic pain for the rest of his life with no support system (as happens all the time) is a million times more tragic than what happened to zillionaire hall of famer steve smith.

i've never bought the sob story about his release.  when people say that "it should have been handled better" what they're actually saying is "it should have been handled in a way that made the fans feel better about it".

1 minute ago, The NFL Shield At Midfield said:

hell even in an NFL context some anonymous small school tryhard bouncing around the league until he suffers some kind of career ending injury and gets thrown out of the league like a load blown in a tissue and gets to deal with chronic pain for the rest of his life (as happens all the time) is a million times more tragic than what happened to zillionaire hall of famer steve smith.

i've never bought the sob story about his release.  when people say that "it should have been handled better" what they're actually saying is "it should have been handled in a way that made the fans feel better about it".

I doubt there's a team in the league that factors fan feelings into personnel decisions. And given how emotional fans are about players, they're wise not to.

Archived