• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coleman extended per rappaport*updated*

I know when we were talking Coleman and resigning him people kept talking he wasnt worth 10 million but many of the rest of us were saying it wold likely be around 6 million and he was worth every penny of that.  Seems Gettleman agrees.  Now if he will get on board with KK and pay him the 13 he deserves, the defense will be a beast for the next 5 years as  least.  And before everyone says he wants 17 or more, I believe I said earlier that Coleman would be good with 6 or 7 and I think KK would be good with 13 or 14 at this point.  I dont know anything for sure but I get the feeling folks want to play for us just not for free.

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

If DG gets him for 13, he's a god. The biggest issue with Short for me is his age. A four year deal would be awesome but he's going to want more. He's turning 28 during the playoffs this year, so you can have him for his 28/29, 29/30, 30/31 and 31/32. Even at 15, that's not bad. The last two years at 32/33 and 33/34 are worrisome. That said, I guess the guaranteed money just gets you the first 3/4 years anyway  

Does anyone with better knowledge know when the typical DT age drop off begins? Short is like Norman, older than a typical rookie. 

DTs can play for quite some time actually. Drop off from what I've seen starts around 32-33 for the truly talented ones. 

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

If DG gets him for 13, he's a god. The biggest issue with Short for me is his age. A four year deal would be awesome but he's going to want more. He's turning 28 during the playoffs this year, so you can have him for his 28/29, 29/30, 30/31 and 31/32. Even at 15, that's not bad. The last two years at 32/33 and 33/34 are worrisome. That said, I guess the guaranteed money just gets you the first 3/4 years anyway  

Does anyone with better knowledge know when the typical DT age drop off begins? Short is like Norman, older than a typical rookie. 

I figure he can give him a 6 year contract if he wants for an average of 16 so he can show a total contract of 96 million.  For that matter make it 17 and break the 100 million dollar amount.  The reality is as long as it is backloaded and the guaranteed money is all accounted for by year 3, the last 3 years years don't matter really.  It then becomes a 3 year contract with the option to keep him as long as we pay the ongoing salary but the dead cap hit would only the prorated signing bonus that is left.  So we could part ways if he struggles or get a serious injury with little consequence as long as we make it through the initial window.

And if it is backloaded we wont have paid out more that roughly 14 million a year and his cap hit for 2017 and 2018 will be pretty manageable.

40 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins PhD said:

That is a serious steal.  5.6 mil per year.  

Makes him the 16th highest paid safety in the league looking at average per year. 

I was expecting 6.5 million per season easy.  

1 Eric Berry

Eric Berry

FREE SAFETY
$10,806,000
2 Harrison Smith

Harrison Smith

FREE SAFETY
$10,250,000
3 Earl Thomas

Earl Thomas

FREE SAFETY
$10,000,000
4 Devin McCourty

Devin McCourty

FREE SAFETY
$9,500,000
5 Jairus Byrd

Jairus Byrd

FREE SAFETY
$9,000,000
6 Malcolm Jenkins

Malcolm Jenkins

FREE SAFETY
$8,750,000
7 Tashaun Gipson

Tashaun Gipson

FREE SAFETY
$7,200,000
8 Reshad Jones

Reshad Jones

STRONG SAFETY
$7,003,000
9 Kam Chancellor

Kam Chancellor

STRONG SAFETY
$7,000,502
10 Rodney McLeod

Rodney McLeod

FREE SAFETY
$7,000,000
11 Aaron Williams

Aaron Williams

STRONG SAFETY
$6,501,961
12 Eric Weddle

Eric Weddle

FREE SAFETY
$6,500,000
13 Morgan Burnett

Morgan Burnett

STRONG SAFETY
$6,187,500
14 George Iloka

George Iloka

STRONG SAFETY
$6,000,000
15 Da'Norris Searcy

Da'Norris Searcy

STRONG SAFETY
$5,937,500
16 Kurt Coleman

Kurt Coleman

FREE SAFETY
$5,666,667
17 T.J. Ward

T.J. Ward

STRONG SAFETY
$5,625,000
18 Marcus Gilchrist

Marcus Gilchrist

STRONG SAFETY
$5,500,000
19 Antoine Bethea

Antoine Bethea

STRONG SAFETY
$5,250,000
20 Shawn Williams

Shawn Williams

FREE SAFETY
$5,046,250
21 Ron Parker

Ron Parker

STRONG SAFETY
$5,000,000
22 Mike Mitchell

Mike Mitchell

FREE SAFETY
$5,000,000
23 Glover Quin

Glover Quin

FREE SAFETY
$4,700,000
24 Reggie Nelson

Reggie Nelson

FREE SAFETY
$4,250,000
25 Isa Abdul-Quddus

Isa Abdul-Quddus

FREE SAFETY
$4,250,000
26 Corey Graham

Corey Graham

FREE SAFETY
$4,075,000
27 Andrew Sendejo

Andrew Sendejo

STRONG SAFETY
$4,000,000
28 Tyvon Branch

Tyvon Branch

STRONG SAFETY
$4,000,000
29 David Bruton

David Bruton

STRONG SAFETY
$3,050,000
30 Nate Allen

Nate Allen

FREE SAFETY

Lmao Byrd at 5th highest paid

9 hours ago, KSpan said:

That's why the offense runs so smoothly when Stewart is out.

In all seriousness, I'm not saying that we have to have a top-paid RB at all times, but I think Panther fans have been a bit spoiled by the RB talent we've had for years now. It's not as difficult to find as an LT or DE but not quite as easy as plug and play any guy off the street.

Case in point:  In 2014 we were terrible when we were trying to plug and play RBs off the street due to all the injuries.  I forget how many RBs we burned through.... it seemed like a new RB a week for awhile there...

32 minutes ago, Floppinsucksdick said:

Someone hasn't been a fan long enough to remember 2004-2005 with the running back injurys... I mean jeeeeez. Nick Goings!

Indeed, I am a fairly recent fan...  I've tried to learn a lot about the earlier years, but nothing substitutes for having closely followed the team in those seasons, so I never mind being corrected by those who've been fans much longer than I.

27 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

Indeed, I am a fairly recent fan...  

As am I.

Its weird... in college football "how long have you been a fan" means very little.  For instance, in an Auburn forum, the subject of "how many games have you been to" came up.  I came up with 175 Auburn games for me personally.  I've never, ever thought that makes me a better fan than someone who has never attended a game.

But in pro football, "when did you become a fan", at least for some, is a major marker.  "I was there from the beginning."  Thats fantastic.  I'm actually a little jealous of that (though even when Carolina wasn't "my" team, I always like them cuz my boy Kevin Greene was one of their better players in the early years).  But, for some (and its probably a smaller percentage of the fan population) if you don't AGREE with them, then if you can't satisfy their checklist of fandom, then you are a "lesser" fan.

5 hours ago, tondi said:

DG would sign KK for 13 million a year right now if that was an option but he wants a lot more than that.

A lot of times the deal isnt about the average amount which can be adjusted to any number, it is the guaranteed amount and signing bonus. Those are the two elements which comprise risk and can result in dead cap space.

If it was only making it average 17 a year,  it would be done already.

Archived