• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What is it About Bersin and Pre Season

chknwing

The only thing Bersin ever did "wrong" is fumble a punt in a playoff game- but that's not his natural position. 

Bersin will never be our most talented WR, but he is reliable and damn I respect him for working his ass off to be a contributing NFL player. 

7 hours ago, O-Ther said:

He was getting Huddle heat even tho it was apparent he was the 3rd string returner. Purely a break glass in case of emergency option. But when he performed to what we knew he was, the Huddle threw him to the wolves for being who he is. We know Byrd can be much better than that, so the bar needs to be higher for the level of acceptable play from him on returns

Issue was Bersin wasn't being auditioned as an emergency 3rd returner. No one one of cared.  He returned a lot of kicks that season as well.

again, bar can be higher for Byrd.  Even with a higher bar Byrd doesn't get that yet.  Bersin wouldn't have got the treatment off of just one preseason muff either

Bersin's upside is limited, that's why his game time has been limited, but I have said in the past that he has always been our most sure-handed wide receiver. If he was faster and more versatile, he'd likely get more playing time. 

As far as the game, I think he did what he always does, which is look decent in August, but the coaches just don't add him to the 53 in September.

I think the biggest gripe on Bersin is he doesn't have potential or any kind of ceiling and we know it.  At least with most project wr's they are still very gifted and have the possibility of moving up the depth chart.  He's just wasting a space where we could groom someone so you better be a damn monster on ST which hes not

1 hour ago, JawnyBlaze said:

Bersin had a great game for a preseason game last night, but this rhetoric about him being clutch in real games is greatly exaggerated. He had a whopping 9 catches last year and 13 the year before that. Some were third down catches, but none won us a game or anything. He has one career TD... Even putting aside his utter ineptitude as a returner, his performance as a WR (22 catches, 270 yards, one TD, three fumbles) would not even warrant a PS spot on the vast majority of teams. You can't have more receiving fumbles than TDs and be considered clutch. I can only guess it's the novelty of a white WR that keeps his little fan club going. 

You need to go look up other team's no. 5 WR, and compare them to BB.  He would absolutely be on another teams 53 if we let him walk.

Also, when looking at the other no. 5 WR, please notice if they are a run first or pass first offense.  Take peek at the Vikings no. 5, or any other run heavy team.

I'm not sitting here saying that BB is a great WR, or that he "deserves" a roster spot....but he isn't nearly as bad as many make him out, and certainly not for a no. 5.

12 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

You need to go look up other team's no. 5 WR, and compare them to BB.  He would absolutely be on another teams 53 if we let him walk.

Also, when looking at the other no. 5 WR, please notice if they are a run first or pass first offense.  Take peek at the Vikings no. 5, or any other run heavy team.

I'm not sitting here saying that BB is a great WR, or that he "deserves" a roster spot....but he isn't nearly as bad as many make him out, and certainly not for a no. 5.

I did say majority, not all. Even Minnesota, a team that should be even more run focused than us because they have worse WRs, worse QB and better RB, their #5 WR last year had the same number of catches and a few more yards.

3 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

I did say majority, not all. Even Minnesota, a team that should be even more run focused than us because they have worse WRs, worse QB and better RB, their #5 WR last year had the same number of catches and a few more yards.

That was just an example.  Look at all the teams no. 5 out there....very few have you ever heard of, much less seen making plays on TV.

And by the way, you said that he wouldn't make the vast majority of others teams practice squads....meaning he wouldn't/shouldn't be on many, if any active rosters.

He is a 5th WR with good hands, doesn't cause drama, or get suspended, and shows up when his number is called...nothing wrong with him rounding out your 53.

4 minutes ago, Darvinsun said:

Bersin miffed punts came in a counted game..last time I checked preseason game is what is called before it counts. Now if he does this in regular season then it comes.

Bersin showed in preseason he should never even be asked to fair catch a ball.  The fact he was in real games doing it was a coaching fault 

15 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

You can't go buy strictly amount of receptions though since offenses operate under different philosophies.

Last year, with 9 catches, Bersin was the 10th leading receiver for Carolina (counting TEs and RBs) in number of receptions.  Carolina attempted 501 passes last year, that gives Bersin 1.8% of Carolina's pass receptions.

The following is are the percentages for the top 5 passing team's (in passes attempted) 10th leading receiver in number of receptions:

Baltimore - 18/676 (receptions by 10th leading receiver/team pass attempts) = 2.7%

New Orleans - 12/667 = 1.8

San Diego - 13/667 = 1.9

Detroit - 7/632 = 1.1

New England - 13/629 = 2.1

I'd say Bersin's numbers, considering the job he's asked to do as a WR way down on the depth chart, is comparable to any WR on that place on the depth chart in the league.  The quick numbers above find that he's comparable.

4 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

You can't go buy strictly amount of receptions though since offenses operate under different philosophies.

Last year, with 9 catches, Bersin was the 10th leading receiver for Carolina (counting TEs and RBs) in number of receptions.  Carolina attempted 501 passes last year, that gives Bersin 1.8% of Carolina's pass receptions.

The following is are the percentages for the top 5 passing team's (in passes attempted) 10th leading receiver in number of receptions:

Baltimore - 18/676 (receptions by 10th leading receiver/team pass attempts) = 2.7%

New Orleans - 12/667 = 1.8

San Diego - 13/667 = 1.9

Detroit - 7/632 = 1.1

New England - 13/629 = 2.1

I'd say Bersin's numbers, considering the job he's asked to do as a WR way down on the depth chart, is comparable to any WR on that place on the depth chart in the league.  The quick numbers above find that he's comparable.

You're counting RBs and TEs.  We're talking WRs. Your numbers are a legit part of the argument, but certainly not the whole picture.  Just comparing those teams you listed, the #5 WRs are:

Ravens: some guy I've never heard of, give him a wash with Bersin

Patriots: Aaron Dobson, I'd rather have Dobson.

Saints: only had four WRs listed on pro football reference.  Last WR is Brandon Coleman, I'd much rather have Coleman. 

Detroit: another guy I never heard of, give Bersin the edge (however they had megatron and golden Tate playing very well, they aren't a "spread the ball around" type of offense, very superstar centric)

Chargers: Malcolm Floyd.  I'd defiantly take Floyd, and even their sixth WR, who I've never heard of, had 24 catches for almost 200 yards.

I could go through all 31 other teams and I'd be surprised if there were 10 who I'd take Bersin over their #5.  Last thing I have to say about this is everybody is entitled to have "their guys" who don't actually validate the admiration. I was a big fan of Gettis and Swolebones, even though neither of them panned out in the end. I'm a fan of Wegher now, even though Bersin has actually done (a little) more in real games than him.  All the guys I liked showed great potential.  I just don't get the infatuation some have for a guy that has done next to nothing and shows no potential to do any more.  To those who are Bersin fans, to each his own. 

Just now, JawnyBlaze said:

You're counting RBs and TEs.  We're talking WRs. Your numbers are a legit part of the argument, but certainly not the whole picture.  Just comparing those teams you listed, the #5 WRs are:

Ravens: some guy I've never heard of, give him a wash with Bersin

Patriots: Aaron Dobson, I'd rather have Dobson.

Saints: only had four WRs listed on pro football reference.  Last WR is Brandon Coleman, I'd much rather have Coleman. 

Detroit: another guy I never heard of, give Bersin the edge (however they had megatron and golden Tate playing very well, they aren't a "spread the ball around" type of offense, very superstar centric)

Chargers: Malcolm Floyd.  I'd defiantly take Floyd, and even their sixth WR, who I've never heard of, had 24 catches for almost 200 yards.

I could go through all 31 other teams and I'd be surprised if there were 10 who I'd take Bersin over their #5.  Last thing I have to say about this is everybody is entitled to have "their guys" who don't actually validate the admiration. I was a big fan of Gettis and Swolebones, even though neither of them panned out in the end. I'm a fan of Wegher now, even though Bersin has actually done (a little) more in real games than him.  All the guys I liked showed great potential.  I just don't get the infatuation some have for a guy that has done next to nothing and shows no potential to do any more.  To those who are Bersin fans, to each his own. 

Again, you are going off of active rosters when you said that he wouldn't make that vast majority of practice squads....just admit that he is an average no. 5 WR in the league....one that costs us very little, and produces when called upon.

Archived