• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Article (Bill Voth): Who Saw This Coming? Pretty Much Everyone

CPantherKing

3 minutes ago, Growl said:

Rivera looks like he's sinking into full on Fox-style "I don't make the decisions, you'll have to ask management" mode. 

Frankly I don't blame him. Don't sign your name to this dumpster fire when it isn't your fault.

Do we know for certain that RR didn't tell DG that he could make it work without Norman?

Not saying he did, but he may be just as much to blame for this as DG.

5 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Do we know for certain that RR didn't tell DG that he could make it work without Norman?

Not saying he did, but he may be just as much to blame for this as DG.

That was very evidently seen to *not* be the case in Ron's presser after it happened. Isn't a very Rivera thing to do anyways.

As to the hindsight is 20/20 folks.....I'm guessing that many of you are probably under 25 or so years old.  Just a guess.

If you watch football long enough, you will notice things like this happening....it's just how it is.

We all knew that we had a couple of below average positions this season, mostly RT, and CB....many of us were nervous about the S play as well, but with Coleman, I was a little less worried.  That said, Every Single Team in the NFL has some weaknesses, we are no different.

I'm not one to do drastic changes on the fly, but I do think that we need to adjust a few things we are doing in the offseason...Shula can go, and while I wouldn't agree with it, if Ron won't fire him, Ron will have to go as well.  Cam is good enough, and has been in the league long enough that a new offensive system won't set him back too much...it may excite him...which we need.  Other than that, try to find a couple pass rushers, and some protection for Cam on the outside, even if you have to over pay....may need to pick up a FA S, and a vet corner as well.  

This team will be OK, but not this season.

4 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

As to the hindsight is 20/20 folks.....I'm guessing that many of you are probably under 25 or so years old.  Just a guess.

If you watch football long enough, you will notice things like this happening....it's just how it is.

We all knew that we had a couple of below average positions this season, mostly RT, and CB....many of us were nervous about the S play as well, but with Coleman, I was a little less worried.  That said, Every Single Team in the NFL has some weaknesses, we are no different.

I'm not one to do drastic changes on the fly, but I do think that we need to adjust a few things we are doing in the offseason...Shula can go, and while I wouldn't agree with it, if Ron won't fire him, Ron will have to go as well.  Cam is good enough, and has been in the league long enough that a new offensive system won't set him back too much...it may excite him...which we need.  Other than that, try to find a couple pass rushers, and some protection for Cam on the outside, even if you have to over pay....may need to pick up a FA S, and a vet corner as well.  

Actually, legit and well put.  But, do you believe Gettlemen is the answer?  

8 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

There is a difference in weakness and historically bad.  If Gettleman were a doctor or lawyer he would be getting sued for professional malpractice right now

6 minutes ago, nctarheel0619 said:

Actually, legit and well put.  But, do you believe Gettlemen is the answer?  

I believe that he is one of the better GM's in the league, but like all of the rest, he messes up....we just got accustomed to him being an above average "batter".  But yes, I'm pretty sure that he is good enough to keep us successful.....

That said, I am one of the weirdos that think that certain coaches are good for certain things.  I'm starting to think that Ron may be more Marty Schottenheimer than Jimmy Jones.  Certain coaches are good with building up a program, and others are good at winning big games.  At the moment, I have more faith in DG than RR..but we will see.

Honestly, we have had some really weird things happen this season so far...we also had a lot of weird things happen last season...the ball just bounced our way last year.

12 minutes ago, Growl said:

That was very evidently seen to *not* be the case in Ron's presser after it happened. Isn't a very Rivera thing to do anyways.

Ron was trying to keep Hardy too and so were many of his teammates. They get paid and evaluated on wins so of course they want to compete and want guys that can help them to win. 

Thanks for getting us here but it may be time for new ownership.

1 hour ago, uncfan888 said:

He just called it the biggest failure in football history. You can't be serious with that poo. The guy is in love with hurney and has been begging for us to be bad so he can blame it on gettleman, and you aren't far behind.  What kind of fans are you? Wanting the team to be bad so you can bitch and complain and rub it in people's faces on a message board. 

This is what you beautiful simple minded people don't understand. Somebody mentions Hurney with any sort of positive attachment and you think we want Hurney. No, he deserved to be fired the same way Gettleman deserves to be fired. I didn't like Hurney and I damn sure don't like Gettleman. They're two ends of the spectrum and ideally you want your GM to be somewhere in the middle. Hurney bent over in the negotiating room and Gettleman kicks everybody out faster than Martin did Pam. I want a GM that can negotiate and get deals done and put their ego aside when necessary. The best players on this team are still Hurney products. All of our captains are Hurney products. After four years on your job you still haven't established any consistency on this football team. 

Save the 3 straight playoff appearances, because it doesn't tell the story. The pattern is still good-bad-good-bad. Hell Hurney made it to the Super Bowl too so that alone doesn't make you a great GM or even good. Norman and Bene in our secondary with maybe another veteran and I guarantee you we would not be 1-5. That's on Gettleman. fug him and Hurney, but at least Hurney brought us Cam, Stew, Greg, and Kalil all of who are the staple of our offense. He also brought us Luke and without him we might be getting 100 dropped on us. 

39 minutes ago, Growl said:

Rivera looks like he's sinking into full on Fox-style "I don't make the decisions, you'll have to ask management" mode. 

Frankly I don't blame him. Don't sign your name to this dumpster fire when it isn't your fault.

Its not his fault ? he is the head coach its up to him to get this team mentally ready week in and out and that's not happening. Ron M.O is his defensive mind why can't he scheme around a FS that played like a pro bowler last year serviceable DB in Bene (who was here for the first 4 games) McClain and a 2nd and 3rd round DB? We are not talent less in the secondary. When you playing rookies one on one with elite WR that will never end will and its just not the secondary that's look out of sync its our whole defense and that's on the coaches.   

1 hour ago, nctarheel0619 said:

@Mr. Scot you owe this man an apology.  You were a dick to him all offseason and were completely wrong per usual.  So, Mr. "Football Historian" it's time to take that L and apologize for being a dick to the man when he was clearly right.  

Nah.

See, CPK is still a fraud who claimed to have inside access to vouch for s--t that he basically just made up. The season going bad doesn't erase that anymore than it invalidates the successful run we've had to this point. So unless you have a defense for that garbage then no, he's not owed a thing.

And I've yet to see you apologize for numerous instances of being a dick, so hey...

As to this season, yes mistakes were made, but that's far from all there is. Some of the vets we counted on got old overnight (including, sadly, Thomas Davis), some of the players we counted on showing up haven't, injuries are hitting us hard and so are coaching mistakes, the same coaching mistakes that have been made since the current regime got here.

Rivera wasn't my first choice for coach (Mike Zimmer was) and while I got on board with him before I'm no longer on board now. I'm not betting on there being a coaching change, but I'm increasingly of the mind there should be.

For the time being though, you and all the rest of the children who love misery and complaining can have all the fun you want. I'm not interested.

Archived