• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Article (Bill Voth): Who Saw This Coming? Pretty Much Everyone

CPantherKing

I imagine we will be seeing 2 weeks of these articles. Changes are coming, and accountability is what we as fans and the media should seek.

Who Saw This Coming? Pretty Much Everyone - Bill Voth

"It's what we have," Carolina's coach said Friday. "We've got to line up and play, so we'll show up and play. There's nothing we can do about that."

"... general manager Dave Gettleman is ultimately in charge of putting together the 53-man roster. Even with the James Bradberry turf toe excuse, through six games, it's nearly impossible to defend how the secondary of the NFC's defending champs is constructed."

So, who is going to take accountability for possibly the greatest failure in NFL history?

Seriously, Gettleman better thank sweet jesus that he's made so many decent moves before this season because by all accounts he's failed so hard on the personel decisions going into the season that if he had been a GM for 80% of the teams in the NFL, his ass would be fired today.  Put in perspective, I went searching for a team that started as awful as we have following a superbowl run and the only team that I've found that is in the same situation...2004 Carolina Panthers who started 1-7.

Finally someone who gets that Gettleman is responsible for personnel decisions, and not trying to lay this fiasco of a secondary at Rivera's feet. And I don't care about long term as has been suggested by some, this season is pretty much wasted. And that's a shame.

I still don't get panthers fans. yes Dave is to blame for this season but the majority is on Ron and the coaches. this is nothing new under Ron we always get off to a slow start and play bad at the start of the season. we lost 3 games by 3 points and you can make a strong case that it was because of the coaches lack of management skills situational skills and adjustments. Ron M.O is his defensive mind why can't  he scheme around the players on defense ? Every team has weakness. Belichick is winning with a second and third string qb a sub-par oline no running game and sup-bar WR and a DB that's on pace to give up over 100 catches and 1500 yards. Ron only has 2 winning season out of 5 years and all of his success and best two years came under Dave. 

At the end of the day the personnel issue is on Gettleman.  Rivera and the other coaches are there to coach and play the guys Gettleman has assembled for the team.  Our team lacking in talent at certain positions, having zero depth or sufficient backups ready to go in encase of injury is on Gettleman.  His penny pinching tactics were overshadowed by our success last year but this year it's a glaring issue and biting him in the ass.  

Hindsight is a powerful tool, especially when it backs up your opinion.  Kudos to those who are "winning" the argument.

I think many of us figured we would improve as a team, and have to cover the weakness of a very young secondary.  Lots of folks said that Boston was ready to step up and become a big time player.  Many thought the Super Bowl was Kony Ealy's coming out party and he was going to become a top flight pass rusher.  We also thought KK Short would pick right back up where he left off.  We thought Coleman would be fine because it was the same system he played in last year.  We saw zero holes in our offense, only the addition of KB.  This was my thought process as the season started.

Now we see the hubris of our expectations.  We've had some people get hurt, forcing other players to play, and we've seen the OMG moments far too often.  After week three, nothing should be super surprising.  Every week reinforces that the incorrect decisions were made regarding FA and the draft.  Do I blame Gettleman for not breaking the bank for a premiere pass rusher?  Josh Norman?  Offensive Line depth? We can until we're blue in the face, but it's not going to change this season.

The important lesson for Dave Gettleman is pretty apparent.  Don't let your strength become a weakness.  It did.  There weren't enough vets brought in to really compete for jobs.  I'm not sure how much Ron and Co can do with the players they currently have.  It's not like the current street FA list looks chock full of talent either.  They have to make do, and in some cases, this is what we're going to have to deal with.

1 hour ago, CPantherKing said:

I imagine we will be seeing 2 weeks of these articles. Changes are coming, and accountability is what we as fans and the media should seek.

So, who is going to take accountability for possibly the greatest failure in NFL history?

@Mr. Scot you owe this man an apology.  You were a dick to him all offseason and were completely wrong per usual.  So, Mr. "Football Historian" it's time to take that L and apologize for being a dick to the man when he was clearly right.  

Think about this: In their first 339 games as a franchise, the most passing yards the Panthers allowed were to Trent Green, who totaled 431 for the Rams on Feb. 5, 2000. Now, in just 15 days, the Panthers have given up 503 yards to Atlanta's Matt Ryan and 465 to Brees. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, it's the first time in NFL history a team's allowed two 450-yard passers in a three-game span.

top ten draft pick here we come

22 minutes ago, nctarheel0619 said:

@Mr. Scot you owe this man an apology.  You were a dick to him all offseason and were completely wrong per usual.  So, Mr. "Football Historian" it's time to take that L and apologize for being a dick to the man when he was clearly right.  

He just called it the biggest failure in football history. You can't be serious with that poo. The guy is in love with hurney and has been begging for us to be bad so he can blame it on gettleman, and you aren't far behind.  What kind of fans are you? Wanting the team to be bad so you can bitch and complain and rub it in people's faces on a message board. 

Just now, uncfan888 said:

He just called it the biggest failure in football history. You can't be serious with that poo. The guy is in love with hurney and has been begging for us to be bad so he can blame it on gettleman, and you aren't far behind.  What kind of fans are you? Wanting the team to be bad so you can bitch and complain and rub it in people's faces on a message board. 

Nope, I'm just pointing out that Scot was wrong per usual.  I want this team to win, but when they're not.  It's pretty obvious who's fault it is.  I don't even like Rivera and I can't blame him for this mess.  It's all on front.jpg?v=2016-09-19-04-15

I don't think it's the greatest failure in football history.  But, it's pretty fuging terrible by BAE.  

1 hour ago, Carolina Cajun said:

Seriously, Gettleman better thank sweet jesus that he's made so many decent moves before this season because by all accounts he's failed so hard on the personel decisions going into the season that if he had been a GM for 80% of the teams in the NFL, his ass would be fired today.  Put in perspective, I went searching for a team that started as awful as we have following a superbowl run and the only team that I've found that is in the same situation...2004 Carolina Panthers who started 1-7.

I was just as pissed in 2004!!! We did nothing to improve. Dave Gettleman wasn't here but results were the same.

It's Jerry

2 hours ago, CPantherKing said:

The players. That's how things work in this organization. Ron isn't because he's already said this is what he has to work with. Dave definitely isn't, because he hasn't even attempted to fix it. So that leaves the players to take the fall. 

Archived