• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Norv Turner Resigns

RumHam

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Rivera and Turner are close friends from their days with the Chargers. Rivera considers Turner a mentor.

Rivera actually tried to bring Turner aboard back before he chose to go with the Vikings (I forget in what role).

Is there a role for him now? I'm guessing it'd have to be a consultant type thing. Don't really see it but anything is possible.

Man, a few weeks ago the Vikes looked ready to conquer the world. How quickly things change.

He could defintely help the traditonal run game & playaction become more potent 

The people saying Norv and Shula are the same are out of their minds. They call similar systems, but the difference is Norv is infinitely better at knowing what play to call, and also at getting a fuging play called in before there are 7 seconds left.

14 minutes ago, rodeo said:

The people saying Norv and Shula are the same are out of their minds. They call similar systems, but the difference is Norv is infinitely better at knowing what play to call, and also at getting a fuging play called in before there are 7 seconds left.

Shula gets Cam.  Impossible to argue IMO. 

So the question isn't about simply who is a better pure OC.  Norv wins that.  OC however isn't an issue holding us back big picture right now.

16 minutes ago, rodeo said:

Started to make a point on twitter about Norv earlier, but work got in the way.

I would love to see him in a mentor/consultant to Shula right now.  We have a lot on this team that makes a Coryell tick...and I'm not convinced that Shula really knows how to bring it all together.

Big armed QB who can stand in the pocket and take a shot.

Downhill runner in Stew.

Premier catching TE.

Speed and Size, as well as downfield catching ability in the WR's.

Only major missing piece, a blocking fullback...but that can be negated with Tolberts ability to catch the ball and Cam ability on the ground.

I don't want Shula fired mid-season, but I do think that he needs help....as well as Proehl.

8 minutes ago, ThatSeattleBoy said:

Nope, the NFC does not need Cam Newton to be truly coached, that would be a problem. I like Shula getting him bashed around.

Cam is more football player than quarterback.  That is what makes him special.  Plenty of OC's wouldn't get that or want that.  Cam gets it.  Shula gets it.  That is why they work.

I don't Cam t wants to be a waterdown version of himself for the sake of playing an additional 3 years.   I think he would rather just dominate.

34 minutes ago, rodeo said:

Norv would be a massive gameday upgrade. 

2 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Don't agree.  Definitely wouldn't say it was asinine.  The argument that it is the same offense can be to his favor.  There wouldn't be much change as far as terminology.  What separates Norv from Shula is his game management.   He knows how to "in game" adjust and Shula doesn't.  Think of all the games we had last year where we came out on fire and then the 2nd half we held on for life while the other team came roaring back.    That is because the other team made defensive adjustments and Shula had no counter for it.  NONE.

Turner hasn't been around the game all these years because he sucks.   He and Rivera also have ties going back to the SD days.

We won't do it but I have always thought Norv would do amazing things with Cam at QB.

This!!!!!  We almost did it again on Sunday. We scored 6 points in the 2nd half

Here are a list of Turner's QB's since leaving the Chargers.

Brian Hoyer

Brandon Weeden

Matt Cassel

Christian Ponder

Teddy Bridgewater

Shaun Hill

Sam Bradford

Not only that, he's had to deal with injury after injury.  After injury.  Minnesota has had to do a lot with very, very little. 

This was mentioned previously, but the terminology in his offense may be similar to Shula but that's pretty much where it ends.  I would consider that a huge positive if hypothetically a change were made.  Outside of that, to call him and Shula the same is uninformed at best. 

I personally think Norv would go bananas with the guys we've got here.  

Archived