• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Daryl Worley: Improvement Indeed

Saca312

I just read a clickbaity article of Voth, and I have to admit it was worthwile (EDIT: to notice one particularly nice improvement by Worley). Talks about Worley's improvement, and it really is huge in this one example:

http://blackandbluereview.com/daryl-worley-developing-faster-josh-norman-panthers/

I'll summarize some eye opening points:

Check out this play from the Cardinals game:

None animated GIF

Worley effectively doesn't switch out with Kurt Coleman, a big rookie mistake. Communication issues were present here, and Cards got a free touchdown.

Now fast forward to the San Diego game:

None animated GIF

Now look at that. Same scenario, except Worley stays disciplined enough to go after that free receiver this time, preventing a two point conversion. He already knows Coleman has his man, and he stops HoF'er Antonio Gates from a reception.

That's really encouraging. Bradberry is already a stud, and with Worley improving, gosh will we actually have a feared secondary?

Add in a Bears loss and Atlanta win this sunday (destroying all our playoff chances) and hit me up on the S Adams bandwagon, and we may have the best fugging secondary in the NFL next year.

15 minutes ago, PantherPhann89 said:

Our young CB's are playing better and so has our front seven as of late. The Atlanta game will again be a great test of our young CB's and McD...

Possibly.  But, by then Atlanta could know if they have to sit their starters or not.  So, that's still up in the air.  

4 minutes ago, nctarheel0619 said:

Best secondary in the NFL?  Jesus.  You're way too big of a homer for me.  

Yes, bit of a stretch, but we may not have a half bad of a secondary if we get a good safety to complement these corners.

Adams in the first, Foreman in the second if we don't get Eric Berry and I'm completely satisfied.

27 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

gosh will we actually have a feared secondary?

Feared secondaries don't get targeted in the run and pass game on 80% of the offensive play calls by the opponents.

Feared secondaries do not allow easy 1st downs.

Feared secondaries do not have CBs without multiple interceptions  when they a targeted the most any player on the defense.

The Panthers have one of the least feared secondaries in the NFL. At least with Kurt Coleman at FS playing off Josh Norman and Peanut Tillman at CB, you could make the assertion that the secondary could easily take away most of the field and all the offense had to go after was a small pocket in the seam over the LBs with the nickel and dime CB.

Norman, Tillman, and Coleman were a secondary a QB had to be careful of breaking on a route they thought was open. Bradberry, Worley, and Boston are easy pitch and catch without having to worry about any of them surprising the QB.

1 minute ago, GoobyPls said:

One good game.....

Let see what he does the rest of the season.

He's had more than "one good game."

When Crabtree targeted him, he only got around 30 yards, and that's including a should-be push-off call that gained him most of that yardage.

He's beginning to gel out. 

the reason the Panthers lead the NFL is sacks now is b/c the secondary has greatly improved. I would say half of the sacks by our front 4 in the last few games have been coverage sacks. 

give credit where credits due. It was a shitshow to begin the season, but the secondary is finally coming into their own, and we'll again be a top 5 defense next year. 

The future is bright. Very very bright. 

Archived