• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bradberry VS Norman - Similar Play, Different Results

Saca312

I just wanted to say, there appears to be a huge difference in this one particular play between Norman and Josh.

Oh, in case you missed it, PFF has Bradberry ahead of Norman this week (again.)

Anyhow, let's get to what I'm looking at.

Take a look at the play where Ginn was wide open. 

giphy.gif

Just an FYI, Kelvin Benjamin had a short route, and Ginn was the only one in Josh Norman's vicinity, so don't give me that excuse JNo didn't have some fault in this.

Obviously, the safety messed up, and Norman never adjusted or noticed the fact Ginn was the only receiver in his vicinity, and could've easily made a play. He makes a half effort to go for the ball, but never worked out. 

Let's take a look at this beauty from Bradberry:

ezgif.com-1f910a9366.gif

Similar style. Kurt Coleman the safety is beat (though granted not as bad as that Skins safety) and it wasn't Bradberry's assignment. But Bradberry is able to quickly recognize the call, reach over to the receiver, and cause a pass breakup after Coleman got beat.

Sure, slightly different coverage and play, but Kurt and Redskins safety were in very similar situations. Josh Norman and Bradberry were too. In fact, heck, the only receiver that was near Norman was Ginn, while Bradberry had to worry about his own receiver. The difference is one reacted, and one just laid back and let the play happen.

Guess which one of these CBs made the difference between a TD and not? (Hint: He's not paid $15 million a year).

This guy is going to be a stud whether you like it or not.

This kid is developing nicely, #26 too. With a full off season the duo of Bradberry/ Worley should be one of the best in the league for the foreseeable future.  They have both progressed naturally as in game experience is the only way to truly get better.. with the exception of practice habits of course. The coverage is starting to get tight and they are both breaking on passes and breaking up passes. Both are way ahead of the curve as far as run support is concerned, i'll give Worley the slight edge in that aspect.

I have been VERY pleased with Bradberry. Especially for how well he has played as a rookie from a FBS school. Those guys generally have a steeper learning curve. It's a HUGE step up in competition for them.

I'm not gonna bash Norman. He was a helluva player for us and I wish he was still here. He's not and life moves on. We have a very promising rookie in his place and he's making a king's ransom in DC. Win/win. You could tell by his actions and our guys' actions after the game there's no hard feelings there. That's awesome to see.

15 minutes ago, CarolinaPride90 said:

This kid is developing nicely, #26 too. With a full off season the duo of Bradberry/ Worley should be one of the best in the league for the foreseeable future.  They have both progressed naturally as in game experience is the only way to truly get better.. with the exception of practice habits of course. The coverage is starting to get tight and they are both breaking on passes and breaking up passes. Both are way ahead of the curve as far as run support is concerned, i'll give Worley the slight edge in that aspect.

Really impressed with Worley's development. That guy looked lost early on. I was damn near ready to write him off. No way to sugarcoat it, he looked BAD. But, he's definitely showing promise in the second half of the season.

There are plenty of plays Bradberry didn't make that Norman would have made especially dating back to the beginning of the season. This is getting super old. i get it.. people still talk about this, but it's getting old. Bradberry is promising and despite how little people give Worley props, he is too. Norman and these rookie CB's have two different introductions to the game, to the team, two different situations. Norman did what he could in his circumstances here and so are these guys (the red haired step child Worley, also). I respect them both without this..but I guess some need these type of points to quit b**ching about our rookie CB's progressing well and performing decent from a small school and a lesser division in College Football. . 

1 minute ago, CLG said:

There are plenty of plays Bradberry didn't make that Norman would have made especially dating back to the beginning of the season. This is getting super old. i get it.. people still talk about this, but it's getting old. Bradberry is promising and despite how little people give Worley props, he is too. Norman and these rookie CB's have two different introductions to the game, to the team, two different situations. Norman did what he could in his circumstances here and so are these guys (the red haired step child Worley, also). I respect them both without this..but I guess some need these type of points to quit b**ching about our rookie CB's progressing well and performing decent from a small school and a lesser division in College Football. . 

No questioning Norman is good, but I'm pointing out how Bradberry is progressing and making some plays Norman doesn't, just like Norman probably has made plays Brad hasn't.

We'll be fine without Norman, and it won't be as huge of a loss in the future.

PFF is subjective poo.

Those are not the same routes. Norman has to sit over top the outside receiver in case he releases deep prior to the throw.

Learn to gauge the hash marks on the field to know how far the CB came over from their responsibility.

Stop going back to one game to find his one good play that is not even on the books for Bradberry. Put his highlight reel together, and let's see how many and the quality of the plays he has made this season in the run and the pass.

Norman is a much better CB that can make a game changing play on the ball and keeps offenses from going his way when they need a spark. Bradberry is a rookie making many errors that teams rely on to attack when they need to move the ball and come back in a game.

Bradberry made some major mistakes in the Redskins game, but I doubt you would highlight any of those. One was when he forgot who he was responsible for and came down to double cover a receiver in the flat allowing the deep zone he was responsible for to be free running for a very easy pitch and catch.

There is a reason the Panthers defense in 2016 has blown the most two score leads of any Panthers team in franchise history, and you can pin it on the secondary. The entire secondary.

You are going to keep pointing to the that play for a couple more seasons before Bradberry rounds out into a vet and proves he can be a career journeyman. He is and will never be a shut down corner, and he struggles in the zone system a good bit. He should be learning from Norman and Tillman this season and not be the #1 starter. He has no one to learn from and it shows. That will usually stunt a young CBs growth as well. Same goes for WR, and you can see that with KB and Funchess needing that vet WR to learn from.

49 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I don't get the stuff about his run support.

It is not just Bradberry's run support. It is every CB in run support this season. The Panthers have gone from #1 in stopping the run to the outside to last in the league for 2016 in stopping outside runs to the sideline.

They are also dead last in defending the screen pass, and they are last when it comes to stopping 1st downs with passes to the outside.

This has been the biggest reason for giving up the most 2 score leads in franchise history.

The Panthers did not give up a 2 score lead in 2014 or 2015. Now, they give up 2 score leads easy. The Panthers give up the most points in the 4th quarter league wide.

17 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Really impressed with Worley's development. That guy looked lost early on. I was damn near ready to write him off. No way to sugarcoat it, he looked BAD. But, he's definitely showing promise in the second half of the season.

Exactly what happens with rookies that start. Like Butler they do best when they can play behind a veteran instead of being thrown into the fire and getting toasted when they first start. Corner won't be an issue next year. D line and O line definitely need to be addressed. Safety too.

19 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Man hell yeah he did, was definitely looking like a dumb rook at first lol. Gettleman will end up looking like a genius for these 2 picks no doubt. 

I give up.

CPK says I can't show a good play from Bradberry and compare it to Norman because Brad is trash. 

Anyways, to answer why Norman is part to blame;

KB stopped way early, and had a man all over him, so Norman has no excuse because there was no one else he'd possibly cover after KB stopped abruptly at the position he was in. Granted, he might've been playing safe, but the guy on KB would no way let that ball loose.

Ginn was the only one who looked likely to be thrown too. He beat a safety, like that Saint WR did, and Norman missed it, while Bradberry got it.

Real simple.

Archived