• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Realistically fixing the Panthers next year.

Snake

So with the season about to close for the Panthers I would like to go over some ideas of returning to our greatness. Here are some of my realistic move we might be able to make in the off-season. 

While offense has been the focus this year honestly improving that unit drastically would require a good bit of luck or big money with risk. So while I would love to upgrade the line it's probably not going to happen. So here are my marginal improvements for offense. 

1.TE

While Greg is going to be a HOF TE we need another weapon and blocker for our mediocre oline. A TE that has good hands and can seal a edge once and a while. 

2. FB/H-back

Tolbert is as good as gone and we need a TE or FB who can catch and seal blocks for Stewart. 

3.WR

I look for the Panthers to draft another WR like Mike Williams to push KB and Funchess. FA might be a possibility as well with extra cash this year.  

OK so on to defense. This unit in 2016 took a 180 with the loss of leadership and injury bug taking its bite. While we might not be able to fix all the ailments it's important to fix as many as possible. 

1. Sign KK

While he totally disappeared in 2016 he is still a much needed defender and will come at a much lower price than in 2015.

2. Sign Kline and Mayo. 

With the uncertainty of keek we need to make sure Mike will be secured no matter what. 

3. CB

While Bradberry had a impressive year he was about the only CB that would be considered starting quality. With a good bunch of CBS hitting the FA market I would expect Dave to sure up this position. 

4. Saftey 

Safety had to be the weakest part of a weak chain in 2016. While Colman was bad, Tre Boston was worse and hopes of home grown talent disappeared. While the FA market on FS/SS looks thin expect the Panthers to draft early if available. 

Well there you have it guys. It's my reasonable list to get us back to glory. 

For those wanting a cornerback - you ain't getting one. Daryl Worley is already showing NFL starter quality play right now, and he's been silently improving while you guys aren't paying attention. 

James Bradberry needs no explanation.

As far as needs, the most glaring issue is safety. No depth behind Kurt = bad news. 

Tre Boston isn't starter caliber anymore. I would expect the Panthers to obtain a starter from the draft, such as Jamaal Adams, and go for a cheap FA for depth. Put Adams in at SS and Coleman at FS and we got a stout starting group in the secondary.

2nd TE is something I think the Panthers look into. Jordan Leggett in the 3rd round is likely, along with a project T if we indeed have our compensatory pick by then.

Another RB of the future may be taken in the second round. I believe the Panthers will go for RB D'onta Foreman, a Stewart-like player. Mocks have him going in the 2nd, most after the Panthers pick, but some saying teams may take him before the Panthers. Panthers may use the 3rd compensatory pick as bait to move up a few spots to grab him, and I wouldn't be surprised. 

WR probably will be taken care of in FA with them scavenging for a decent 3rd down receiver. 

Although our first pick may be defense, the rest should surely be offense. I see Gettleman going heavy on offense after going so hard on defense these past few drafts. With the right hits, I see the Panthers being very competitive next year.

11 minutes ago, Snake said:

So with the season about to close for the Panthers I would like to go over some ideas of returning to our greatness. Here are some of my realistic move we might be able to make in the off-season. 

While offense has been the focus this year honestly improving that unit drastically would require a good bit of luck or big money with risk. So while I would love to upgrade the line it's probably not going to happen. So here are my marginal improvements for offense. 

1.TE

While Greg is going to be a HOF TE we need another weapon and blocker for our mediocre oline. A TE that has good hands and can seal a edge once and a while. 

2. FB/H-back

Tolbert is as good as gone and we need a TE or FB who can catch and seal blocks for Stewart. 

3.WR

I look for the Panthers to draft another WR like Mike Williams to push KB and Funchess. FA might be a possibility as well with extra cash this year.  

OK so on to defense. This unit in 2016 took a 180 with the loss of leadership and injury bug taking its bite. While we might not be able to fix all the ailments it's important to fix as many as possible. 

1. Sign KK

While he totally disappeared in 2016 he is still a much needed defender and will come at a much lower price than in 2015.

2. Sign Kline and Mayo. 

With the uncertainty of keek we need to make sure Mike will be secured no matter what. 

3. CB

While Bradberry had a impressive year he was about the only CB that would be considered starting quality. With a good bunch of CBS hitting the FA market I would expect Dave to sure up this position. 

4. Saftey 

Safety had to be the weakest part of a weak chain in 2016. While Colman was bad, Tre Boston was worse and hopes of home grown talent disappeared. While the FA market on FS/SS looks thin expect the Panthers to draft early if available. 

1) We're gonna tag KK.

2) Mayo still has 2 years left on his deal. Klein will get a big contract from another team and that's fine, he's expendable.

3) We will draft or sign a 3rd corner. Maybe Morris Claiborne could be an option here.

4) safety is possibly our biggest hole on this team. This will be dealt with with multiple additions.

1 hour ago, Saca312 said:

For those wanting a cornerback - you ain't getting one. Daryl Worley is already showing NFL starter quality play right now, and he's been silently improving while you guys aren't paying attention. 

James Bradberry needs no explanation.

As far as needs, the most glaring issue is safety. No depth behind Kurt = bad news. 

Tre Boston isn't starter caliber anymore. I would expect the Panthers to obtain a starter from the draft, such as Jamaal Adams, and go for a cheap FA for depth. Put Adams in at SS and Coleman at FS and we got a stout starting group in the secondary.

2nd TE is something I think the Panthers look into. Jordan Leggett in the 3rd round is likely, along with a project T if we indeed have our compensatory pick by then.

Another RB of the future may be taken in the second round. I believe the Panthers will go for RB D'onta Foreman, a Stewart-like player. Mocks have him going in the 2nd, most after the Panthers pick, but some saying teams may take him before the Panthers. Panthers may use the 3rd compensatory pick as bait to move up a few spots to grab him, and I wouldn't be surprised. 

WR probably will be taken care of in FA with them scavenging for a decent 3rd down receiver. 

Although our first pick may be defense, the rest should surely be offense. I see Gettleman going heavy on offense after going so hard on defense these past few drafts. With the right hits, I see the Panthers being very competitive next year.

Completely agree on CB. If we get one it will be a vet I think just to be a backup. A safety and d end to me are must needs this offseason.

Offense:

1. OT

If we don't upgrade the OL - specifically OT - then it's probably all for moot. We can't let Cam keep getting hammered back there in the "pocket" that usually doesn't exist. Maybe the team already knows otherwise, but I'd be operating under the assumption that Oher is done. If that's the case, we HAVE to find a LT. Be it a free agent, swinging a trade, or a draft pick. But, we cannot, absolutely can the fug not, have Mike Remmers playing LT next year. Absolutely not. No. He's every bit as bad as Byron Bell was.

2. WR

Sorry, I'm done waiting on Funchess. He's a JAG. Need a legit starter. A legit starter with some SPEED.

3. RB

Stew is about to be on the wrong side of 30 and we all know his injury concerns. CAP can't even make the active roster. Fozzy is a change of pace back. We need to find another workhorse to groom.

4. TE

Greg is on the wrong side of 30 too and we have no one behind him. If he got hurt, our passing offense loses it's only elite receiver. Adding a legit #2 TE would also open up a world of possibilities with more two TE sets as well.

Defense:

1. DE

Yeah, I know we lead the NFL in sacks, but CJ while still a quality player is no longer a dominant pass rusher. He and Addison are also free agents. I'm fine with Ealy as a rotational LEFT DE but I've given up on him being a consistent starting caliber player. He's also a LEFT DE. Stop trying to play him on the right side.

2. Safety

Boston will never be reliable enough for me to feel comfortable with him starting. 

3. CB

Yeah, I know we just drafted three of them, but are we sure that Worley is the answer? I'm not. He's certainly improved over the course of the season, but I don't think it'd be hard to find an upgrade. Even if you do think he's the answer, who plays nickel? That's why Sanchez was drafted but he's terrible.

OK, I want to play. Because, IMO, fixing this team is as easy as one, two, three.

Get a legit Vet SS, and DE. Fix LT, and we can go to war.

A legit SS does two things. 1. He can help settle that secondary down. 2. He can make Coleman great again.

A legit DE to pair with Addison, teamed with our interior, could make for a formidable pass rush.

We should be able to fill those two holes with quality vets with relative ease. It is that pesky LT position where the floor drops out of any plan. Finding a LT capable of moving Remmers back to depth would not be cheap in FA, or even in a trade. Drafting one would be best case, but man, you really need to get lucky to actually draft a franchise LT at 9ish.

Fill those three spots before the draft, and go get you some talent. Like I said, easy peasy.

36 minutes ago, Snake said:

1.TE

2. FB/H-back

3.WR

1. Sign KK

2. Sign Kline and Mayo. 

3. CB

4. Saftey 

I agree with everything. I do feel we need another Tackle. Depending on Oher, either a starter or depth, I feel Wr is a priority as. Here's to hoping we sign DJax (we can all dream right). If we get a FB I feel like it's only because Shula is gone. Who knows what will happen there. A second TE would be great like you say. Please please please just get us a solid 3rd down wr

4 minutes ago, General_Purr said:

Athletic Olsen

Athletic Olsen? Have you seen Olsen play? The guy ran a 4.51 at the combine with a 36" vertical and 23 reps on the bench. He's a great athlete. If I was a betting man, I'd bet that Howard won't top any of those numbers.

If Howard was there in the 2nd round, I'd sprint to the podium with his name on the card as fast as I could run. But, he won't be. 

in a perfect world a top DE would fall or maybe one of the OTs is a secret stud LT straight out the gate that gettleman figures out.

second level, very good draft, would be a safety.

slightly above average would be an rb.

average/decent would be a TE.

however, we need at least 3 of these guys starting next year. i feel like we have good ammo to get some dudes.

a utility o-lineman with our comp pick would be tight.

would love a fb in the late rounds or udfa priority.

6 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I doubt KK is going to be markedly cheaper. He is still a top five DT in the league.

Right. If we weren't able to get a deal done last offseason, what will change this offseason?

Gman will tag him and let him walk after next year when he will be 28 and Vernon Butler will be ready to replace him.

Archived