• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Realistically fixing the Panthers next year.

Snake

44 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

OT has been a glaring need Cam's entire career. Yet, here we are still getting by with journeyman free agents.

Since our current journeyman free agent LT (and former first round pick) is not filling this glaring need who do you have in mind?

5 hours ago, Catufb85 said:

Here is my 2 cents:

1st:  Resign KK Short (or atleast Franchise Tag)

2a: Sign either LT Riley Reiff or LT Matt Kalil in FA (should get couple years out of one)

2b: Double dip at LT and draft in the 2nd-5th rounds:

Mike McGlinchey*, OT, Notre Dame

Ryan Ramcyzk*, OT, Wisconsin

Dion Dawkins, OT, Temple

Taylor Moton, OT/G, Western Michigan

Adam Bisnowaty, OT, Pittsburgh

3rd:  Draft either SS Jamal Adams or Dalvin Cook with first pick in the draft.

4. Sign DE Jason Pierre-Paul and CB Stephone Gilmore (SC Native)

5. Cut Tolbert and sign the meanness blocking Fullback to hit the market someone like FA Kyle Juszczyk Ravens

6. Draft a Slot WR in the middle to late rounds : WR Stacey Coley(Miami), WR Artavis Scott (Clem). KD Cannon (Baylor) Gabe Marks (WSU) Zay Jones (ECU)

7. Overall my thoughts are to Sign veteran LT in FA to secure one side of the line draft 2 tackles to let them transition to NFL.  I like Daryl Williams at RT.  Work on extending Norwell and Turner.  Tolbert’s contribution/style to our offense has worn out. Need to get back to smash mouth running game.  Need to draft a route running slot guy to help with Ginn/Brown/Funchess. 

8. If you go Jamal Adams in first round.  Draft in middle to late rounds a back up RB to JStew like:

Wayne Gallman*, RB, Clemson

Samaje Perine*, RB, Oklahoma

Kareem Hunt, RB, Toledo

Corey Clement, RB, Wisconsin

Marlon Mack, RB, South Florida

Love it or hate it just my opinion. 

I have similar ideas. I also admit that I have done about 30 minutes of total research.

1. We need to keep KK (tag at least) and Addison.

2. Ramcyck in the second (Garrett Bolles / Utah and Roderick Johnson / FS are also possible LT's). If Oher comes back healthy, no need to waste money on Kalil or Reiff. I think Reiff especially will cost more than G-man will spend. It's a sellers market for LT's with this shallow draft.

3. If Adams drops to us, he'll be not only a perfect fit and a position of desperate need, he'll be BPA.

4. as long as JPP works cheap. Also would like to draft a DE in the mid rounds Harold Landry, DE Boston, is 3-4 rounder that is a fast pass rusher.

Stephone Gilmore, someone mentioned Morris Claiborne from Dallas. Any pretty good CB that can be had without breaking the bank to put across from Bradberry is good. 

5. Ward, Rockhead, etc.

6. Throw Switzer (UNC) onto the list. He's also a PR and will be there for our comp or 4th rd pick.

7. OK

8. Most of these plus Chubb will be there in the 3rd. I personally lean towards Perine. If we get a too good to pass up RB in 2nd rd, pick best LT in the 3rd. 

Get the cowboys to trade us Tyron Smith for a conditional 7th, Steelers send us Antonio Brown and Le'veon Bell for a 6th, Aaron Donald for free, Khalil Mack for Tolbert, Harrison Smith for Bersin, Kam Chancellor and Sherman for Oher and all the team above cover the player salaries indefinitely, plus give us all their extra cap room.

27 minutes ago, Riverboat Ron said:

Get the cowboys to trade us Tyron Smith for a conditional 7th, Steelers send us Antonio Brown and Le'veon Bell for a 6th, Aaron Donald for free, Khalil Mack for Tolbert, Harrison Smith for Bersin, Kam Chancellor and Sherman for Oher and all the team above cover the player salaries indefinitely, plus give us all their extra cap room.

Think you missed the realistic part...

4 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Not giving up, simply planning for him to never be an impact player. I'm not calling to cut the guy, I'm simply calling for us to address the WR position as if Funchess will never live up to his draft status. If it clicks and he does, great. But if it doesn't, we've already planned for it.

Still seems premature IMO. Dude was catching passes from a stiff at Michigan just 2 years ago and I think he can definitely develop into a solid #2 WR.

19 hours ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

1) We're gonna tag KK.

2) Mayo still has 2 years left on his deal. Klein will get a big contract from another team and that's fine, he's expendable.

3) We will draft or sign a 3rd corner. Maybe Morris Claiborne could be an option here.

4) safety is possibly our biggest hole on this team. This will be dealt with with multiple additions.

And still no OT...? Falling further behind in other positions at the same time...

17 minutes ago, pantherphan96 said:

Still seems premature IMO. Dude was catching passes from a stiff at Michigan just 2 years ago and I think he can definitely develop into a solid #2 WR.

After two full years he still looks utterly out of place on an NFL field. Catch rate under 40%.

How long are you willing to keep waiting?

I'd feel differently if he actually looked like he'd made any progress at all. He doesn't.

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

After two full years he still looks utterly out of place on an NFL field. Catch rate under 40%.

How long are you willing to keep waiting?

I'd feel differently if he actually looked like he'd made any progress at all. He doesn't.

Catch rate is bad but also is a result of wayward passes and issues with Cam/OL. Drop rate has decreased from 6.4% to 5.2%. With all the other issues with this team I wouldn't spend a draft pick (at least until day 3) on WR. 

3 minutes ago, pantherphan96 said:

Catch rate is bad but also is a result of wayward passes and issues with Cam/OL. Drop rate has decreased from 6.4% to 5.2%. With all the other issues with this team I wouldn't spend a draft pick (at least until day 3) on WR. 

When your catch rate is significantly behind your teammates', a lot of the issue is on you.

Olsen - 62%, KB - 52%, Ginn - 57%, Brown - 50%

When Ginn is your second most reliable pass catcher, that's a problem. For some reason, Greg Olsen doesn't seem to have an issue being in the right place at the right time and catching the football.

Realistically fixing this team is quite simple. 

1st. Coaching change.

For all the gripes many have with our recievers (some vaild, a lot of it not) they would look like legit world beaters in a system tailored towards Cam and their strengths. 

2nd RB

Let's be honest here...our running game could have been explosive with another back to add with Stew. I know some, like me, was hoping Getts would draft D. Henry in the first or second. If you truly think about it (even with how chaotic the o-line was) if the Panthers had another back to mix in they could have had a better run game than last year. Getting Henry is obviously not happening, but they can still draft a RB with a 1st or 2nd.

3rd OT

This has to be addressed, like immediately!!! The Panthers have one of the best interior lines in the league, buy the tackles have been bad. Though Williams is showing signs of life, we still need more serviceable bodies for those rainy days. This could be addressed in the later half of the draft and mostly through FA....may have to do a trade.

4th Defense

To me the defense wasn't the main reason for this forgetful season. I put that mainly on the offense *cough Shula/injuries cough* and Riverboat Ron disappearing. So there were learning curves to be expected from the rookies, and I always thought Bene was better in the slot. Tre took a super step back, and Coleman has had a lot o bad moments. I aslo think the Panthers should have skyrocketed at the chance to trade for Clowney earlier in the season. The main thing will be for the defense to gel, that's it guys. Also it wouldn't be a bad idea to try Shaq at SS. He has the ability to play in space, and to play deep or close to the line. Just use him like Kam in Seattle. Other than that I see Getts just needing to add some pieces here and there. Would be greay for Ealy to find some fire too.

That's my opinion though

KEEP POUNDING!!!

Archived