• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"Cam isn't good at the short, quick throws"

Jeremy Igo

One argument I have seen against changing up the offense a bit is that Cam isn't particularly good at short quick throws. 

Fug that. 

It might have something to do with Cam spending the entire OTA and training camp in a system that calls for him holding onto the ball for 4 seconds and throwing deep ball after deep ball. 

I have said since Cam was drafted every year in camp I am amazed about how long it takes for the plays to develop and Cam to throw the ball. It was not like that under the Fox regime. 

A new offensive coordinator is needed. One that can take an intelligent, physical freak like Cam Newton to the next level. Cam has hit his ceiling under the current regime, but personally he still has much more room to grow. 

There is no doubt in my mind that with a proper mentor, Newton could become that Aaron Rodgers type player. Deadly in the long game, deadly in the short game, and a threat to run. 

/rant

Just now, Jeremy Igo said:

Consistent mechanics require a coaching staff with a keen eye and the balls to speak up. 

Could be chicken or the egg thing here.

What if, the staff does not hold the opinion that he can excel in a quick hit offense and therefore goes to his strong suit which is the vertical passing attack?

You really think that an NFL coaching staff could not figure out things like this?  I know, quick and easy to say what we are not doing is what we should be doing and vice versa.  But, behind the scenes, is there a reason?

10 minutes ago, stirs said:

You really think that an NFL coaching staff could not figure out things like this?  I know, quick and easy to say what we are not doing is what we should be doing and vice versa.  But, behind the scenes, is there a reason?

Man, I would hope that an NFL coaching staff would be considerably smarter than us.  Then again, as we have seen year after year, they are very mortal!

You have to wonder is it a player limitation?  Or is it a pride thing from the coaches?  Or do they really see this playstyle as the best thing for him and the team?

I have a feeling there is a good bit of everything in our arguments.  It's going to take work on Cam's part, the OC (Shula or not), and the rest of the team to turn things around.  

The thing Cam needs to do is lighten up on those balls. If you look at guys like Rogers and Brady, they are able to almost float it to where the receivers are going to be on crossing routes every time. That takes reps, trust, and damn good accuracy. Cam on the other hand lasers his passes to the receivers whether it's 5 or 40 yards away. 

All I want to see Cam have a higher completion percentage by incorporating more crossing routes and 5-10 yard routes. Bad coaches try to fit their players into their schemes, and not mold their scheme around their talent. Our offensive line this year was not able to block like they did last year which greatly affected Cam's numbers. 

11 minutes ago, stirs said:

I don't give this coaching staff that much credit. Just look at the lack of halftime adjustments on both sides of the ball. Or the vanilla game plans week after week. 

I think a competent coaching staff could figure it out.   

Watching that Packers game last night was kind of depressing seeing the work Rodgers WR's put in for him.

Many times he just put it in reach for them, and they made a sick catch, and got good YAC.

We have such little room for error in our offense, and Cam has to put his passes in the absolute tightest windows to ensure completions.

Archived