• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ricky Proehl retiring?

SCP

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

LOL, this might be the worst analogy I've ever heard. First of all, your "proof" in the case against Gettleman is 0. You didn't come home and find Gettleman throwing Proehl out of the house shouting that he's fired.

Here's a better analogy for what you are doing:

You came home and found your woman. Kind of a weird way to put it, assuming you have no woman since you'd most likely say girlfriend or wife, but anyway. You found your woman in bed reading 50 shades of grey. You yell at her saying she must have cheated on you because she's reading that book and she has to be banging someone else if she's interested in that. That's bias.

Ignoring what Proehl said which ties out in content as well as timing with the UNC/Stanford game and ignoring what reporters also confirmed that he indeed did retire is the definition of bias because you are ignoring all that and assuming the big bad boogeyman forced him out and gave him 5 minutes to concoct a crazy story about wanting to be around his kids more.

ok.. first i appreciate the personal attack in a otherwise intellectual discussion.. secondly, go fug yourself for aforementioned personal attack.. thirdly,. i'm going to end this discussion by saying that just because i have a dissenting viewpoint of you on a particular topic doesn't exactly mean i'm wrong or you're right, based on the fact that neither of our "opinions"  can be proved or disproved..   the CEO of this message board you like to frequent admits that I MAY have a point, so for you to say that i'm biased is a cop out to the fact that you can't fathom the idea of something you in your "safe place" being questioned..  ill stop the proehl conversation for the sole sake of not desiring to procreate with a brick wall.. good day sir.

43 minutes ago, Devin said:

ok.. first i appreciate the personal attack in a otherwise intellectual discussion.. secondly, go fug yourself for aforementioned personal attack.. thirdly,. i'm going to end this discussion by saying that just because i have a dissenting viewpoint of you on a particular topic doesn't exactly mean i'm wrong or you're right, based on the fact that neither of our "opinions"  can be proved or disproved..   the CEO of this message board you like to frequent admits that I MAY have a point, so for you to say that i'm biased is a cop out to the fact that you can't fathom the idea of something you in your "safe place" being questioned..  ill stop the proehl conversation for the sole sake of not desiring to procreate with a brick wall.. good day sir.

If you're basing all your credibility on one statement from Igo, you'd do well to remember that Igo's speculation came before the statements from Proehl himself were made.

Since that time, Proehl has explained why he was stepping down, praised the organization, stated that he was excited for our future at receiver and made some very moving statements about his sons.

Throw in that it was detailed that he met with the coach, GM and owner today explaining his decision. When they're telling you you're gone, they don't give you the grand tour on the way out the door. They just tell you where not to let the doorknob hit you.

Fast forward to now, and seeing as Proehl is still speaking positively about the Panthers, how exactly does that fit the narrative that he was shoved out the door? What do they have a gun to his head telling him to act like it was no big deal?  Did they also force him to make up a lie about promising to be there for his sons?

The whole notion is such a ridiculous crock of s--t that it's positively comical.

Proehl left for his family. It happens. If you feel the need to read more into it, that's your issue.

Just be aware that given the public statements of all involved, continuing down that path looks pretty stupid.

I am not the one to jump on the bandwagon to trash a  good coach.

I believe there is a learning issue not a coaching issue.  You don't play 17 years in the league because you are an average player.  You are fundamentally sound and know how to get open.   You know how to play the position.  If your students aren't grasping the information than maybe it is the student not the teacher.

Maybe it is KB.  Maybe KB is bringing the group down. We saw what he did last year with the group we had.  That was amazing coaching.  

Either Way..... Good Luck Ricky

11 hours ago, outlaw4 said:

I'm mixed on this. I felt that he was okay but not as great as some have claimed. Always liked him, though. His "We ain't got no wideouts!" will stay a classic one-liner.

Seriously, that line is one of the highlights from the 2015 season.  So amazing that our despair over KB's torn ACL turned into a magical 15-1 season & trip to the SB... 

What Ricky did with Ginn, Cotch, Brown, Funch & crew in 2015 will always have my respect.

I tend to believe this probably was Proehl's decision.  He seems like that kind of guy to put his boys first.  That said however, it could be a good thing to bring in new blood.  Shake up KB & Funch, bring an outside perspective, see their strengths & weaknesses with new eyes.  Fresh eyes to evaluate Byrd, Brown, figure out how to best use them.  

Our WR corps definitely has room for improvement.  As long as we get a decent guy, I think new coaching can only help.

Seems like a really good guy, was a great WR in his role, but I think he's overrated by this fan base.   I just don't see anything he has really done.   KB is KB from college, big and uses his size too often instead of learning how to run routes and work on hands.  Funchess is still Michigan Funchess.    Ginn is Ginn, it's just that we accept his drops and his downfalls more than other teams and think he's worth having out there.   Also he fits Cam's deep ball.    Philly is really the best thing he's done but even then, he wouldn't be on most teams.    It's probably time to get someone new.

We have crap WRs you can easily see the rest of the league for comparison...even the Browns have better WRs.
It's Proehls fault KB keeps getting stupid penalties and quits on his routes lol. 

Another person leaves more hate from the Panther only watching crew from the Huddle.

It's very easy to compare our WRs to other teams....ours suck and it's not hard to see or compare. Funny how Olsen who's actually good has no issues and Ginn of all people can play here.

That said I could believe he was asked to step down...this franchise is hilarious that way....Shula still on the team? Doesn't matter anyway. Rivera has yet to take any responsibility for anything that's gone awry in his tenure as well.

The narrative is Cam has no weapons but our WR coach leaves and he was to blame....always good for a laugh this place.

Sorenson says....

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/tom-sorensen-blog/article127188399.html

Another of Carolina’s most respected coaches is leaving. Ricky Proehl, who coaches the Panthers’ wide receivers, wants the time to watch his sons Austin (North Carolina) and Blake (East Carolina) play.

That’s admirable yet, for Panther fans, sad. Proehl, 48, has the talent, drive and charisma to someday be a coordinator and, after that, a head coach. If he’s interested, I hope he gets a chance.

Watch him on the practice field with Kelvin Benjamin or Ted Ginn Jr., with Devin Funchess or, in the old days, Steve Smith. The players listen to his directives, and like to be around the man.

Why wouldn’t they? Proehl, who played at Wake Forest, was an NFL receiver for 17 seasons. How does a compact receiver such as Proehl last 17 seasons? When the ball comes to him he catches it.

But how does he free himself to be in position to catch it? Proehl came to Carolina in 2003, and played three seasons. I’d sometimes train binoculars on him in a game. You hear commentators talk about running a lazy route.

Proehl didn’t. His routes were so crisp it was as if he ran along a straight edge only he could see. The turns he made were so precise you could have cut your hand on them. You ever drive a car that goes exactly where you direct it? That’s how Proehl ran routes.

He’s able to impart what he knows. You know the tale of Ginn. There was nothing special about him in San Francisco before he came to the Panthers, and there was nothing special about him in Arizona the season he left.

Yet as a Panther, Ginn thrived. Proehl refused to take credit. He said he was perplexed and even upset that other teams didn’t utilize him. Proehl never saw Ginn as a fast man who played receiver. He saw him as a receiver who was fast.

Ginn told me that he loved going to the wide receiver’s room. He said he didn’t see Proehl as a coach. He saw him as an older brother.

12 hours ago, arbnranger said:

Bang, sniper shot, 1200 meters. 

you uncfan888 and stbugs in some sort of circle jerk or something?  Ya'll don't even know me.  Call your mother's sometime. 

Respect to Mr. Scot for disagreeing without being a prepubescent cockbag 

44 minutes ago, Devin said:

you uncfan888 and stbugs in some sort of circle jerk or something?  Ya'll don't even know me.  Call your mother's sometime. 

Respect to Mr. Scot for disagreeing without being a prepubescent cockbag 

Not at all. Just thought it was a nice dart over the interwebs. Pretty witty and funny, nothing personal brosef. 

Archived