• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Alot of these "analysts" just need to do their homework

gorillamilitia13

Made my daily trip to NFL.com and came across this gem of a mock draft by Lance Zierlein. He has us taking Cam Robinson with our pick and his reasoning for it is:

Cam Robinson - OT, Alabama: Robinson at No. 8 would be way too early for my taste, but he has tremendous size and power as a run blocker, and the Panthers might feel they have to reach a bit to find help for Cam Newton.

Hmm not too long ago Dave Gettleman came out and specifically said that he wasn't going to reach in this draft and that he wasn't impressed with the linemen in this class either.

This guy also has Fournette going at 12, so, yeah. Hey NFL.com, I could sure use a job.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000780638/article/lance-zierlein-mock-draft-10-browns-get-garrett-fournette

19 minutes ago, CarolinaNCSU said:

While I don't think Cam Robinson will be the pick, and is a "reach" to us...one thing to remember.  We have ZERO clue what DG's draft board looks like. A reach to us, could be value to him. 

I agree but combining what he said about how he's not going to reach to take a tackle, and the fact that a lot of people have been saying that Cam Robinson is underwhelming makes me confident that we aren't going to be going that direction. 

I have listened to Pat Kirwin a lot on Sirius who was a GM with the Jets years ago and is now a radio personality. He said that much of the reach conversation often makes little sense. He says if you pick at 8 and again at 40 and you are certain your guy won't be there at 40 and you want him, then it isn't a reach if you get him at 8 because he won't be there when you pick again. 

Of course that assumes you don't trade picks up or down and the guy you pick is really the guy you want not one of a half dozen guys rated equally. Plus you have to feel you can't get an equally talented player further down the draft. Sure some caveats there but that is the logic.

1 hour ago, panthers55 said:

I have listened to Pat Kirwin a lot on Sirius who was a GM with the Jets years ago and is now a radio personality. He said that much of the reach conversation often makes little sense. He says if you pick at 8 and again at 40 and you are certain your guy won't be there at 40 and you want him, then it isn't a reach if you get him at 8 because he won't be there when you pick again. 

Of course that assumes you don't trade picks up or down and the guy you pick is really the guy you want not one of a half dozen guys rated equally. Plus you have to feel you can't get an equally talented player further down the draft. Sure some caveats there but that is the logic.

You mean that guy who sounds lazy and uninterested in football? Who said last year, "I'm not sure what this keep pounding drum is. Sounds like something they stole from Seattle"

2 hours ago, PandaPancake said:

You mean that guy who sounds lazy and uninterested in football? Who said last year, "I'm not sure what this keep pounding drum is. Sounds like something they stole from Seattle"

No, I mean the guy who wrote a really good book called how to watch football by taking your eye off the ball.  He is very knowledgeable and understands the game on many.levels.

16 hours ago, panthers55 said:

No, I mean the guy who wrote a really good book called how to watch football by taking your eye off the ball.  He is very knowledgeable and understands the game on many.levels.

Doesn't make up for his poor presentation on the radio. And his lack of knowledge. Take a drink every time he says he doesn't know. He always goes against Cam on everything. 

"Cam has discovered a cure for cancer"

And douche would say, "I don't know if he did or not because I'm lazy and uninterested"

They say great minds think alike...

Anyway, if you follow this stuff for years, you pretty much know that analysts generally don't have the time to research the minutiae of every team as pertaining to the draft, so they largely do these things based upon their own perception of a team's needs, or just simply parrot the consensus. Moreover, in the grand scheme of things, Gettleman is still new(ish), so it may still take them a little time to learn---and believe---his draft philosophy. Frankly, it's not a bad thing for hardcore fans to "teach" analysts (but only if they listen) because it will hopefully make for better analysis in the future.

Honestly, mocks are probably not the highest on the totem pole in regards to their job responsibilities because it's largely a crap shoot anyway that's not to be taken too seriously. Only the really foolish fans live and die by what a mock says. They are a trivial guessing game---largely space eaters and fillers---until the real thing.

5 hours ago, PandaPancake said:

Doesn't make up for his poor presentation on the radio. And his lack of knowledge. Take a drink every time he says he doesn't know. He always goes against Cam on everything. 

"Cam has discovered a cure for cancer"

And douche would say, "I don't know if he did or not because I'm lazy and uninterested"

He definitely knows football. But unfortunately if the criteria for being stupid or lazy was not liking Cam, there would be a long list of folks as Cam is polarizing just like guys like Tom Brady. You love him or hate him with little middle ground

Archived