• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who's closer to returning, us or ATL?

MVPccaffrey

Despite the epic choke ATL still has almost no free agents of note going forward, and a young defense that looked great before they got gassed, and is only going to get better going forward.  They do lose their OC who implemented that historically good offense but despite that they still have Julio, Freeman, Sanu, Coleman, that offensive line, and Ryan.

On the other hand, we have questions about our offensive line including our tackle situation, and our All-pro center's health going forward.  Jstew is probably going to be playing his last year for us and we don't know whether he'll be healthy, and a question mark at the RB situation besides him.  Benjamin and Funchess look somewhat promising but it remains to be seen if any of the two will ever evolve into a true #1.  Greg is a cornerstone but he is going to be 32 next season so who knows how many seasons we have left in them.  TD is probably on his last season or close to it.  The good news however is we have a secondary group that took its lumps last season but looks to have at least an emerging star in Bradberry, and Butler had his moments to on the D-line, and Star/KK are still as good as ever.  And of course we have Cam/Luke on both sides of the ball, but we do have the wrinkle of head injuries to both that does introduce at least some level of uncertainty.  

This will be G-man's most important offseason ever, obviously.  And I do think you have to build around stopping Atlanta, because we're not competing for Lombardis if we're not even winning our division.  Once New England finally started getting to Matty Ice he melted down as usual.  Adams, Berry, w/e, get a premier safety so we don't get dominated by Julio over the top and find some star pass-rushers.  I think that has to be priority #1.  Get back to the seasons of old where we harassed Ryan so much their stadium started leaking poo.  I don't see us having the disastrous luck with 80% of the offensive line going down again and at least the Kalil/Norwell/Turner/Williams we know is as good as we're going to get, with Oher's future obviously in doubt.  Continue to build to our strengths; this team is sooooooo close I believe to having an all time great defense, if the aforementioned safety and edge rusher spots are filled.  

30 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Roster-wise, Atlanta has fewer holes to fill (as you note) though OC is a big one. Psyche-wise though...will be very interesting to watch them as the season begins.

Agreed, but I will argue that we have a lot fewer holes if you assume our current roster is now 100% healthy.

Just now, shaqattaq said:

Agreed, but I will argue that we have a lot fewer holes if you assume our current roster is now 100% healthy.

Still two massive holes at LT and RT.  Unless the staff thinks Daryl can be the future at RT.  Also massive holes at DE, and one at safety, and that we have to take care of now at RB with Stews injury plagued past.  

Pretty good question.  I have noticed sometimes teams that have really good offensive years (out of the blue kind of) take a step back the next year after they have been scouted good.  With that said Atlantas defense has improved.  

Carolina has got to add some pieces, not sure how you prioritize but we need to get back to just working hard and taking nothing for granted.  Its also important to note how different the schdules will be next year.  We get to play Philly and the Eagles compared to them playing Seattle and Dallas.  

2 minutes ago, nctarheel0619 said:

Still two massive holes at LT and RT.  Unless the staff thinks Daryl can be the future at RT.  Also massive holes at DE, and one at safety, and that we have to take care of now at RB with Stews injury plagued past.  

Absolutely, I was just pointing out that we stumbled into December on our 3rd string center, our back up RT plating LT, and our probowl  guard at RT. If they all get healthy (who knows what's up with Oher), we're a whole new team. It's not like Atl doesn't have some pretty glaring needs as well.

Obviously there are a lot of areas that need improving (RB, TE2, Oline) or stright up replaced (SS, FB, DE).

4 minutes ago, Randolph Panther said:

Pretty good question.  I have noticed sometimes teams that have really good offensive years (out of the blue kind of) take a step back the next year after they have been scouted good.  With that said Atlantas defense has improved.  

Carolina has got to add some pieces, not sure how you prioritize but we need to get back to just working hard and taking nothing for granted.  Its also important to note how different the schdules will be next year.  We get to play Philly and the Eagles compared to them playing Seattle and Dallas.  

Philly AND the eagles??

1 minute ago, shaqattaq said:

Absolutely, I was just pointing out that we stumbled into December on our 3rd string center, our back up RT plating LT, and our probowl  guard at RT. If they all get healthy (who knows what's up with Oher), we're a whole new team. It's not like Atl doesn't have some pretty glaring needs as well.

Obviously there are a lot of areas that need improving (RB, TE2, Oline) or stright up replaced (SS, FB, DE).

I would rather not see Mike Remmers anymore, unless it's absolutely a must.  

4 minutes ago, Snake said:

I much rather had been screwed by the NFL. At least you know you belong and were robbed. ATL will lose there OC and will have to deal with the fact they were so bad they gave up 20 points in the Superbowl.

Now if only we could lose our OC!

Archived