• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who's closer to returning, us or ATL?

MVPccaffrey

The players in Atlanta are going to start crying for $$$$ and they will have issues with that just like everyone else-- shanahan leaving and the turnover they will have along with the hangover which is very real-- they are 2 seasons at least before they will come back.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

38 minutes ago, SOJA said:

There is ZERO guarantee either of us get back. It takes so much luck with your teams injuries + timing of playing well + injuries to other teams

Biggest key for us is being able to rush the passer better. When we were dominating Atlanta, we were hitting Matt Ryan. This year he had all day to throw and they made us pay

2 great points made here.  The salary cap makes it exceedingly hard to have quality depth in every position, especially once you have had success and are paying your elite players at the top-of-the-market rates.  Injuries are such an unknown and can really derail a season.  Atlanta was insanely healthy this year outside of losing Trufant, just like we were last year outside of KB.  Our lack of depth was evident to me in the preseason.  If there is anything to take from the preseason at all, it's how our backups perform straight up against other backups with no game planning.  In 2013 & 2014 I remember our guys looking much better.  Dropped off in 2015 but we stayed healthy and got even worse this year and it caught up with the injuries.

The only real tools to combat that are good drafting and good coaching.  Atlanta has had 2 incredible draft classes the past 2 years, especially on defense, and their offense has stayed healthy and had a good scheme.  I think last year proved our offensive scheme could maximize the unique talents of Cam, but it was predicated on a strong run game which we didn't have consistently this year.  I think our draft last year was good, but we definitely need to supplement with FA's to fill the holes we have.  That being said, we did not suddenly lose all the talent we had with Cam, Olsen, KK, Luke, TD and emerging guys like Bradberry.  We need to do well in the draft & FA, but we are not that far away by any stretch.

Our pass rush was certainly better the 2nd half of the year, but to the point yeah we definitely could not pressure Ryan either game and he made us pay.  Matt Ryan has played elite at 2 points in his career (this year & 2012).  However, both years he has had elite playmakers all around him (Gonzales, White, Jones, Turner) & (Freeman, Coleman, Jones, Sanu).  Ryan has been good but never elite when he didn't have that benefit.

But the pass rush has to be there to win.  We finished last year pretty well but have a lot of unknowns with CJ & Addison being FA's and Ealy underperforming.

If you look at the rosters I have to say Atl, their defense is young and fast and their offense is( at least with Kyle there) very potent.

Will have to wait and see what G-Man does this off-season to really make a decision, he has important holes to fill and if he goes on his annual trip to Wal-Mart we won't even be sniffing a wild card.

Just now, 15 said:

remember how great we thought we were going to be after losing the superbowl? with KB coming back? these kind of losses will drain you and discourage you. ATL was riding on momentum and that momentum is now dead. back to the drawing board.

buc's will be tough next year too. we play in the toughest division in football. whoever wins the south will probably be repping the NFC in SB52. 

The NFC South is no joke with the QB's and talent in the division.  4 legitimate franchise QB's.  Only division in the NFL like that.

14 minutes ago, mc52beast said:

If you look at the rosters I have to say Atl, their defense is young and fast and their offense is( at least with Kyle there) very potent.

Will have to wait and see what G-Man does this off-season to really make a decision, he has important holes to fill and if he goes on his annual trip to Wal-Mart we won't even be sniffing a wild card.

This is what scares me, when looking at the weaker units of both teams, in our case the offense, and in theirs the D.  Our offense is getting OLD at a lot of spots, and will need a big retooling soon.  Meanwhile they've drafted great on D and theirs is young and on the rise.  If not for the fact they played 90+ snaps we would have said in the last 6 weeks of the season their D was arguably one of the top 10 in the league.

34 minutes ago, Promethean Forerunner said:

Better GM? No. 

Better talent? Lulz

Stop. Quinn and Dimitroff drafted purely on speed. That seemed like a great idea... until the 4th quarter and overtime came around. Those speedy undersized guys got swallowed by the Patriots' bigger guys.

We still got the superior defense.

Kuechly, Star, Short, TD, Shaq, Bradberry > Neal, Beasley, Trufant, Jarrett, Alford, Jones

Definitely better GM Gettleman look at their free agents over the years and they actually address offense.

They have better- running backs, receivers, O-line and secondary players. The only thing we have over them is front 7.

You again are just blinded by fanboyism 

40 minutes ago, Promethean Forerunner said:

Better GM? No. 

Better talent? Lulz

Stop. Quinn and Dimitroff drafted purely on speed. That seemed like a great idea... until the 4th quarter and overtime came around. Those speedy undersized guys got swallowed by the Patriots' bigger guys.

We still got the superior defense.

Kuechly, Star, Short, TD, Shaq, Bradberry > Neal, Beasley, Trufant, Jarrett, Alford, Jones

I agree.  We did win 17 games only a year ago and have won the south 3 of 4 years. We have a better, younger player at the most important position.  Extra rest, playing @San Fran instead of @Seattle, extra cap space, a top 8 pick in every round plus Norman's comp 3rd, plus extra momentum and motivation and it's night night nurse.  This question will look silly in a year.

2 hours ago, thebigcat said:

Carolina.... A loss like this destroys you on the inside... they had been known as chokers in the past, they shook off the moniker for the most part this season then failed in the most epic stages... Matt Ryan won't be hoisting a Lombardi

I can not take anything you post seriously after that Brady selfie.

2 hours ago, Promethean Forerunner said:

Hahaha, dude Gettleman got us out of cap hell in just 3 years, found UDFA gems, and changed our culture. In addition, we won 3 straight division titles and went to the Superbowl. Don't be a little bitch because we didn't make it this season, you spoiled brat.

So what? Atlanta has always been about offense.

Stewart doesn't whiff on blocks nor does he slow down with more carries nor does he get arm tackled to the ground. I could care less how explosive Freeman is if he can't block or be a factor in the 4th quarter. By the by, you might want to check out Freeman's second half stats in the regular season too. Not good. 

Lulz, Alford had 3 holding calls (almost 4) last night and Poole had more missed tackles than Boston in a single game (responsible for 2 TDs). I'll give them Neal and Trufant but we got Bradberry and Worley. It's a push.

Grow up. Several Atlanta players overachieved due to drops, missed assignments, and horrible blocking. I'll bet you right now that their defense will be eaten alive next season. 

Gettleman hasn't lead anything, he's cheap and drafted a bunch of rotational players. Demitrioff has actually tried to help his franchise QB and hired coaches to mask weaknesses 

Oh and both Coleman and Freeman are better than Mr 3.8 ypc. Our pass defense is so terrible even when leading the league in sacks they get burned. Outside of Bradberry nobody on our secondary would start in Atlanta.

We over achieved more than Atlanta.If Gettleman keeps on this complacency path we will be right with Atlanta getting eaten alive.

54 minutes ago, Promethean Forerunner said:

Call it what you want, dumbass. We were on par with the Taints, and he got us out of it. Now we've got enough to keep most of our core players.

You mean, like spending money on a #2 like he's a #1? Yeah, that was a smart pick up despite Gabriel being more reliable and their offense not needing Sanu.

Dimitroff didn't hire Shanahan, you dingbat. Quinn did. As I recall, Quinn and Shanahan were both chastised last season. Now, they're geniuses lulz god you're an idiot

Oh yes, they're so good. I mean look how awesome they were when the blocking broke down. I'll take Mr. 3.8 since he can block and break tackles before even getting to the LOS.

Sorry, that's inaccurate Bradberry didn't get torched. Worley did but he's a rookie. So the fug what? He still has major upside and set the edge like no other CB in the league as a kid. Suck It.

We still are in par with the saints, congratulations we won the salary cap Super Bowl are reward was another losing season.

Quinn hired Shanahan? LOL.  Good god your a moron, Shanahan was hired before Quinn.

Ah yes a RB main duty is to block that's why Cam is constantly under pressure and stone hands Stewart is the worst receiving back in the league while averaging 3.8 ypc.

What edge? The getting torched edge? You delusional fanboyism is hilarious and pathetic at the same time 

The way they lost last night will hurt them at least as bad as our SB loss. As we showed last year, it will be very hard for ATL to go back a year after losing it.

I think we have much better talent than what we showed last year. If we get the holes plugged and get our minds right, we could make another run at it next year.

Archived