• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Grading the Cho Drafts

bLACKpANTHER

Grading Cho drafts:
2011:
#7 - BIZ (traded up from 19)
#9 - Kemba
STILL ON BOARD: Klay Thompson, Kawhi Leonard, Nikola Vucevic, both Morris twins, Shumpert, (below 19) Tobias Harris, Kenneth Farried, Reggie Jackson, Jimmy Butler and Chandler Parsons

Breakdown: Kemba is obviously an Allstar.. it took him a fw years to get there but we could all see it in his rookie year.. no one knew Klay or Kawhi was going to be who they are now - but the fact that all that talent was still out there and we traded up to get BIZ when we could have stayed put at 19 and had Farried.. or moved up and taken Kemba at #7 and gotten Vucevic or one of the Morris' at #9 is devastating..
GRADE: B-                                                                                

2012:
#2 - MKG
STILL ON BOARD: Bradly Beal, Lillard, Drummond, Harrison Barnes

Breakdown: we passed on Beal.. i still can't believe it.. at the time I wanted Barnes but still.. we passed on Beal because we had Gerald Henderson.. unbelievable..
GRADE: D-                                                                                 

2013:
#4 - Zeller
STILL ON BOARD: Nerlens Noel, KCP, Shabazz Muhammad, Greek Freak

Breakdown: I hated the Zeller at the time but looking at that horrible draft - we came out alright - i would rather have Zeller than Noel, KCP or Shabazz right now.. no one knew Giannis was going to be what he is now.. but what if Cho was good at his job (evaluating the talent on the team and the talent in the Draft) and had the foresight and plucked him up.. imagine..
GRADE: B                                                                                 

2014:
#9 - Vonleh (turned into Batum via trade)
#26 - PJ Harriston (turned into Courtney Lee)
STILL ON BOARD: McDermott, Zach Lavine

Breakdown: I was happy when we got Vonleh because I was expecting us to be stuck taking Stauskas.. I was even happier when we moved him and Hendo for Batum.. Harriston was a low-cost gamble that didn't pay off and we fleeced Memphis to get Lee for half a season.. meh
GRADE: C+ (because of the Batum trade)                                 

2015:
#4 - Frank
STILL ON BOARD: Justice Winslow, Devin Booker, Kelly Oubre Jr. and a MEGA-trade offer from Boston

Breakdown: Still have to wait & see, but I am almost done forming my opinion. Winslow, Booker and Oubre would be better for us right now. The trade would have massively changed to outlook of our franchise because it would have given us a ton of ammo in trade possibilities and/or potential to reload our roster moving forward.
GRADE: D                                                                                  

At the end of the day, we have grown out of the ashes of the Bobcats franchise but stuck on the rung of the NBA Ladder that is "Barely Making/Missing the Playoffs".. IF you look over our recent past ^^^ and ONLY change 1 of the negatives and turn it into a positive - we would be set up to compete with the Torontos and Washingtons of the East.. as of right now we absolutely are not.. we need to play our best game every night to beat the competition..

but just think if we swapped MKG for Beal or Barnes and we are a different franchise for sure.. OR Zeller for Giannis = OMG.. OR Frank for Devin Booker..
Cho has got to go after this year.. even if we make the playoffs.. I'm tired of knowing that even before we make a pick - it will be the wrong one..

(Btw, I only focused on Cho's draft to spare us all from the Sean May, Adam Morrison and DJ Augustine selections.. do not go back and look at the remaining players on the board in those drafts..)

Honestly I wanted MKG and didn't hate the Zeller pick.  However, I was calling Frank "Monica" Kaminski before the draft and totally wanted Booker there.  Never felt bad at all passing on Winslow (he vanished for long stretches at Duke).  Biz is making WAY to much money now but he has value.  Definitely a reach however. 

Let me play a Game: After looking over the Bobcats 2011 roster, we had a bare cupboard except for Hendo.. the rest of the squad was as follows: DJ Augustine, Derrick Brown, Matt Carroll, Diop, Cory Higgins, Corey Maggette, Byron Mullens, Najera, Tyrus Thomas, DJ White, Reggie Williams.. So essentially we had NOTHING.. to start the franchise over, I do this:

In 2011: We take Klay at #7 and Kemba at #9.. Boom..!! Automatically we have a backcourt..
In 2012: We take Drummond because we really need a big man at this point..
In 2013: We somehow have the foresight to see Giannis as a diamond and take him..

PG - Kemba
SG - Klay
SF - Giannis
PF - sh!t, it doesn't matter..
C - Drummond

That is basically what Oklahoma City did in 3 years with KD, Westbrook, Ibaka and Harden..

It's easy to look back at drafts and grade them but at the time it always looks much different. Biz at the time was one of the most intriguing prospects that a lot of teams were interested in. 

So many experts were in love with MKG saying he had the highest ceiling in the draft and was completely worth the number 2 pick. Just imagine if we took Thomas Robinson. Harrison Barnes was thrown around but he had his question marks. Beal wasn't even considered by many to be an option for us.

The Zeller pick was an A+ pick if you look back at that draft. My god was it terrible. I don't even think the number one pick is even in the league anymore. 

Vonleh got us Batum so all is good even though I'm not the biggest fan of his.

Frank is the biggest question mark. Booker and Turner would have both been better picks at the time of the draft imo and now I don't think it's even a question that they are better players. Thank god we didn't take Winslow. I'll give Cho credit there. The Boston trade to me is a mystery. Still don't know how much validity there is to it. Apparently us and 5 other teams didn't give a poo about those picks so what ever.

The Marco deal so far has been a solid move no gripes there. 

All in all you guys need to stop bitching about players we didn't draft that just about half the NBA also passed on drafting. Maybe we will get lucky one of these drafts and find a stud in the middle of the draft. Can't help it we lost the Anthony Davis lottery, and even so we some how ended up the better team so it's not all bad. 

16 hours ago, Eazy-E said:

It's easy to look back at drafts and grade them but at the time it always looks much different. Biz at the time was one of the most intriguing prospects that a lot of teams were interested in. 

So many experts were in love with MKG saying he had the highest ceiling in the draft and was completely worth the number 2 pick. Just imagine if we took Thomas Robinson. Harrison Barnes was thrown around but he had his question marks. Beal wasn't even considered by many to be an option for us.

The Zeller pick was an A+ pick if you look back at that draft. My god was it terrible. I don't even think the number one pick is even in the league anymore. 

Frank is the biggest question mark. Booker and Turner would have both been better picks at the time of the draft imo and now I don't think it's even a question that they are better players. Thank god we didn't take Winslow. I'll give Cho credit there. The Boston trade to me is a mystery. Still don't know how much validity there is to it. Apparently us and 5 other teams didn't give a poo about those picks so what ever.

All in all you guys need to stop bitching about players we didn't draft that just about half the NBA also passed on drafting. Maybe we will get lucky one of these drafts and find a stud in the middle of the draft. Can't help it we lost the Anthony Davis lottery, and even so we some how ended up the better team so it's not all bad. 

fool me once - shame on you..
fool me twice - shame one me..
fool me eleven times (Okafor, Felton, May, Morrison, Hendo, Augustine, BIZ, MKG, Zeller, Vonleh, Frank).. shame on the GD franchise..
you can't constantly draft in the lottery (Top 10) and keep coming away with Role players, with 3 complete busts sprinkled in.. Kemba is the ONLY star we have ever gotten.. we have more 100% busts than stars in our history of drafting..

it's a trend dude.. if you want to put paint it something different & pretend like the problem isn't there and be happy with the mediocrity, go right ahead..

Perception of how good a player will be in the draft doesnt mean poo. It doesn't mean you have a good GM because he drafted someone that everyone thought would be good but ends up sucking instead. A good GM finds the diamonds in the rough. The middle round guy who becomes an all star or pro bowler.

The reason we have to sign mediocre players like batum to max deals is in part because our drafting is so terrible.

The management of this franchise is abysmal and will remain that way as long as cho is in charge.

Sent from my SM-N920V using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

You can play the retrospect game with any team in any sport. The recent drafts haven't been great, but look around the league, even at the top teams. Unless you consistently pick in the top 3 of the draft (i.e. are absolutely terrible) it's hard to impossible to find really good draft picks. Hell even that isn't enough sometimes, look at the Orlando Magic.

However with all that being said, the Frank Kaminsky pick did it for me. Some kind of change needs to happen with this team, and seeing as how Clifford is a top ten coach that obviously points right at the front office. 

Just now, pantherphan96 said:

I'd be more upset about passing on Lillard or Drummond than Beal. Beal is just a volume scorer.

Beal has been playing good lately, but Beal is also a locker room cancer and John Wall hates him apparently. This is all from friends of mine that are Wizards fans.

1 minute ago, AppHeel said:

Beal has been playing good lately, but Beal is also a locker room cancer and John Wall hates him apparently. This is all from friends of mine that are Wizards fans.

Just from watching Celtics-Wizards games I can see that Wall and Beal hate each other. Beal is definitely a good scorer but he does little else.

1 hour ago, Omega Atrocity said:

You can play the retrospect game with any team in any sport. The recent drafts haven't been great, but look around the league, even at the top teams. Unless you consistently pick in the top 3 of the draft (i.e. are absolutely terrible) it's hard to impossible to find really good draft picks. Hell even that isn't enough sometimes, look at the Orlando Magic.

However with all that being said, the Frank Kaminsky pick did it for me. Some kind of change needs to happen with this team, and seeing as how Clifford is a top ten coach that obviously points right at the front office. 

I especially agree with your last statement.. after the game last night - cliff seemed rly pissed.. he is screaming that we do not have the talent to compete in the league night in, night out..

Archived