• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Film Room: Malik McDowell

Ricky Spanish

39 minutes ago, Manos said:

Short have a lot of the same concerns on effort coming out of Purdue and it turned out his effort issues were do to him being an overworked one man show.

Is that what is happening with this kid, and if so does that make him more appealing to people on here?

Sent from my XT1254 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

I think there are really two reasons why some folks think he underperformed. 1. Expectations for him were through the roof when the season started. He was in the discussion for All American, and All Big Ten honors. People were expecting big things from him. So when those expectations were not met, some folks went a little over board trying to pinpoint the reason.

2. He did play all over that DLine. So in essence he had no true position. Which in turn cut into his development. So it is probably true that he did not reach the level folks were expecting. It is also true that being the only stud on that line he did get extra attention. Which probably had something to do with his numbers being less than stellar.

He played on a pretty bad team, along side Fr. and So., and played in the Big Ten. So most fans don't know who he is, let alone how well he plays. When the Combine is over, a whole lot of people are going to know who he is. I tell ya what.

4 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

I think there are really two reasons why some folks think he underperformed. 1. Expectations for him were through the roof when the season started. He was in the discussion for All American, and All Big Ten honors. People were expecting big things from him. So when those expectations were not met, some folks went a little over board trying to pinpoint the reason.

2. He did play all over that DLine. So in essence he had no true position. Which in turn cut into his development. So it is probably true that he did not reach the level folks were expecting. It is also true that being the only stud on that line he did get extra attention. Which probably had something to do with his numbers being less than stellar.

He played on a pretty bad team, along side Fr. and So., and played in the Big Ten. So most fans don't know who he is, let alone how well he plays. When the Combine is over, a whole lot of people are going to know who he is. I tell ya what.

All over the DL by choice like Watt or the coaches moved him?

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

All over the DL by choice like Watt or the coaches moved him?

We had 2 Fr. DEs that they really like. So when they were in the game together, Malik would move inside. We had real problems pressuring the QB last year. So they were throwing kids in there trying to find one or two that could get the job done. So Malik was moved around in order to get other kids some playing time.

And Malik never said a bad word. Just went out and gave it his all. He was the leader of that unit, and those kids looked up to him. So yeah, you could say he had the respect of his teammates, as well as the coaching staff.

Even though Malik lost out on some development moving around like that. And it may just cost him some money. But that is the kind of kid he is. Team first, and always.

I would like to add that Malik was like a God last year. Every player looked up to him. So there was an opportunity for a primma donna attitude to come out. Yet it never once did. The kid has his head on right.

8 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

@iamhubby1 You're really convincing me. I love this kid's potential, but his "ethic" scared me at first.

If that isn't the issue, I'd love him.

If you are talking about what was posted earlier in this thread. That was from a scout. So there could be ulterior motives behind his statement.

I mean, I get it. When a player like Malik doesn't make the plays you expect him to make. Folks look for reasons. And for some, that reason seems to be because he is lazy, or takes plays off.

He played more snaps than any other DLman. so it is very possible that he would be gassed at times. And with a coach like Dantonio, who does not abide laziness, you have to believe that Malik only came off the field when he needed a blow.

If Malik had had any help whatsoever, his numbers would have been better. With better numbers, more people would be behind him. It is not his fault that he did not have the numbers folks are looking for.

If you can follow how I have drifted through on this. Believe me, it sounded better in my head.

8 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

No overly impressed with the DE portion of this tape.  One on One and got a little pressure but not sacks.  Against NFL talent he won't be that dominating.

Well, to be fair, this was his first time playing DE. Throw in the amount of time Coaches get with college players, or the lack of time I should say. And him being effective at all at DE is pretty amazing. It is all just natural talent, because he isn't getting a whole lot of coaching.

Let's be honest here. Back in the day, playing college football was a fulltime job. And it still took most players a few years to catch up to the pro game. Nowadays, college coaches barely get to know their players. Practices are shorter, and fewer. Players are coming out lacking in fundamentals. Which makes the transition to the NFL even harder.

You have to go on potential more than you did in the past. Can you coach the kid up? That is the main question coaches have with kids nowadays. Natural talent, and smarts are the new benchmark. Because even in the NFL, coaches don't have a ton of time to teach the kids the ropes.

With how the NFL is now. Players like Malik, you really only get a feel for them through interviews, and what their college coaches have to say. Background information is more important than ever.

Malik checks all the boxes. If you think he can become what you envision. Go for it.

I mean hellz bellz. I don't get to hype many State players. Can I at least have this one?

1 minute ago, iamhubby1 said:

Well, to be fair, this was his first time playing DE. Throw in the amount of time Coaches get with college players, or the lack of time I should say. And him being effective at all at DE is pretty amazing. It is all just natural talent, because he isn't getting a whole lot of coaching.

Let's be honest here. Back in the day, playing college football was a fulltime job. And it still took most players a few years to catch up to the pro game. Nowadays, college coaches barely get to know their players. Practices are shorter, and fewer. Players are coming out lacking in fundamentals. Which makes the transition to the NFL even harder.

You have to go on potential more than you did in the past. Can you coach the kid up? That is the main question coaches have with kids nowadays. Natural talent, and smarts are the new benchmark. Because even in the NFL, coaches don't have a ton of time to teach the kids the ropes.

With how the NFL is now. Players like Malik, you really only get a feel for them through interviews, and what their college coaches have to say. Background information is more important than ever.

Malik checks all the boxes. If you think he can become what you envision. Go for it.

I mean hellz bellz. I don't get to hype many State players. Can I at least have this one?

Fair point

8 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

No overly impressed with the DE portion of this tape.  One on One and got a little pressure but not sacks.  Against NFL talent he won't be that dominating.

He's not a natural pass rusher at best he's a Aaron Smith type. But that's best case scenario.

Notice the guy doing the breakdown only used the same 2 or 3 games, go look at his Wisconsin tape or Michigan tape invisible.

Unless he has a great combine I highly doubt he goes in the top 20

Archived