• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cap savings IF we cut Stewart, Gano, and Dickson

panther4life

Folks. First, get the numbers right. 

If JStew is cut, he will be designate a June 1 cut. Which means his dead cap is only 2M this year.(1.5M in 2018). That's 6.2M added to this year. Then offer him 2.5M for this year, which is as much or more than he would get on the open market.  Now you have the same RB situation, and an extra 3.75M to help that OL get better. And we can draft LF if there, or another RB later.  No reason whatsoever that he doesn't do something with that cap space. This organization has paid quite well. Too well. He can take it, or you can get a replacement and a draft pick and save the same amount. 

1 hour ago, SCP said:

Cap schmap.  The Saints stay $100 million over the cap but keep signing dudes.  The cap is all bullshit.

But they also let people go.  They do that to create cap space at the expense of dead money.  They had over $30m in dead money last year.  

Their cap spending on active players was only $108m, where as a team like the Broncos had cap spending over $140m http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space.

The fact is past spending has hurt them, just like it did us.  Only difference is we are pretty much out of it.

As far as Stewart and Dickson goes, I really don't see those 2 being cut anytime soon.  I might be in the minority here but I still think Stewart is an above average RB in the league all things being equal (namely Oline).  How many running backs in the league do people honestly think would have done better then him last year?

Everyone wants to complain about Cam not having any protection but then you get rid of a really good blocking RB? After FA and the draft this might change but you don't get rid of good players until you have their replacement lined up.

Two years ago I would have bet money they would have cut Stewart this ya but I really have my doubts now. They might try to force him into a pay cut but that would be risky.  We have enough holes on this team not to be creating new ones.

The same holds true for Dickson to a degree.  Contrary to what people want to believe around here you aren't going to replace Dickson with just anybody off of the street.  Look at all the guys we have brought in the past few years at the TE position.

35 minutes ago, pantherphan96 said:

Gano has the 6 highest cap hit but was 26th in FG% and 25th in XP%.

Dickson is basically worthless as a blocker and receiver.

Stew, Oher and Lee should all be kept.

Plenty of options in FA or in the draft to replace a kicker and a 2nd string TE.

Sure buddy, is that where were going to find that All Pro left tackle sitting at home waiting to take vet minimum?

2 hours ago, SCP said:

Cap schmap.  The Saints stay $100 million over the cap but keep signing dudes.  The cap is all bullshit.

Saints have been getting a new credit card to pay off the "new" one form last year, that they got to pay off the old one form paying off the old that pays off the older one. Only the overall cap increase has saved them, last year they had around 30 in dead money. They will have more once they cut the giant failure of bryds' contract too. They have nothing to roll over, just push the problemS til next year. Soon or later you have to address the problems, saints be like- 

201701_0638_ffccb_sm.jpg

18 minutes ago, csx said:

DWe have tons of space and Stewart has one more year. I don't see any benefit to cutting or restructuring him.

If we end up with a surplus in a cap we can roll it no next year. Every penny will count if we want to retain our own young players moving forward plus truly start living DG's motto of using free agency to fill crucial needs to avoid feeling pressured to reach in the draft. 

Archived