• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"McCaffery at 8 would be a reach and waste of a pick."

Rags

Just now, steven8989 said:

They are not trading up to get Fournette. Gettleman will not give up 1st Rd picks for a couple years not happening lmao. U better hope he drops to 8 or McCaffrey it is!!!

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

nah we wont put ourselves in that position to not get the guy we want. We'll go up and get the guy we want. It's not like were moving up from 28, were moving from 8, we wont be in the position for some time

40 minutes ago, nctarheel0619 said:

I mean, with Shula's track record, I don't have to.  Cam's had one really great season under Shula, and after that season he regressed inexplicably, and he still hasn't fixed Cam's issues throwing.  Plus, he never utilizes dump down passes which are McCaffrey's bread and butter.  

Shula has failed pretty much every place he's been including Alabama.  Do you know how hard it is to fail at Alabama?  It's inexplicably difficult to fail at Alabama.  And he did that.  

It's not hating when there's actual facts to back up my thoughts.  Shula would find a way to f uck this up, as he's done before.  Cam should be a top 5 QB in the NFL right now, and mostly because of Shula in everyone's opinion he isn't.  Simple as that.  

So...sounds like hating...you have nothing about his use of this type of player.

26 minutes ago, Gin and Juice said:

The problem with that thought process (and many share it) is you are making the assumption that picking a Pro Bowl Player is guaranteed. The objective is to win games and McCaffery increases our odds of doing that when used correctly! We would be getting the Best WR and arguably 3rd best running back in one player. He is Wes Welker and DeAngelo Williams sharing the same body

No assumption that a pro bowler is guaranteed.  I'm going off the fact that I think LF, Adams, Solomon Thomas, all have a much higher probability of having more successful individual careers than CM.  Also, the GM that we fired took one of the best LB in history at pick 9 in 2012.  With that said, I would damn sure hope we can assume we get a pro bowler at 8.. Not every first pick is 2012 but that would be pretty comparatively awful.

1 hour ago, nctarheel0619 said:

I mean, with Shula's track record, I don't have to.  Cam's had one really great season under Shula, and after that season he regressed inexplicably, and he still hasn't fixed Cam's issues throwing.  Plus, he never utilizes dump down passes which are McCaffrey's bread and butter.  

Shula has failed pretty much every place he's been including Alabama.  Do you know how hard it is to fail at Alabama?  It's inexplicably difficult to fail at Alabama.  And he did that.  

It's not hating when there's actual facts to back up my thoughts.  Shula would find a way to f uck this up, as he's done before.  Cam should be a top 5 QB in the NFL right now, and mostly because of Shula in everyone's opinion he isn't.  Simple as that.  

Nothing you have said is a fact. It is all opinion and rather biased at that.  Fact- 3 out of the 11 draft picks under Gettleman in the first three rounds have been offensive picks. In fact we have traded away more picks (5) in the first 3 rounds under Gettleman than have gone to offense. Although in fairness one third round trade was for Olsen and another was to trade up for Funchess. Opinion:  Still the large majority of draft picks have gone to the defense and neither Cam or Shula have gotten the picks they need to build depth on this offense.

I really can't believe I'm warming up to this guy...I'm shocked honestly...

So his ceiling is Marshall Faulk lite. Not as transcendent, but similar skills. 

His floor is James White: Darren Sproils, Reggie Rush type. 

His best comp seems to be in the middle. A player like Brian Westbrook that played for the Eagles, if that's who he is, then I have no problem with the pick assuming Adams, Hooker, Fournette, and Thomas are gone. Cmac would 5. OJ Howard 5b.

1 minute ago, backINblack28 said:

No assumption that a pro bowler is guaranteed.  I'm going off the fact that I think LF, Adams, Solomon Thomas, all have a much higher probability of having more successful individual careers than CM.  Also, the GM that we fired took one of the best LB in history at pick 9 in 2012.  With that said, I would damn sure hope we can assume we get a pro bowler at 8.. Not every first pick is 2012 but that would be pretty comparatively awful.

LF I give you. I think he becomes very AP-like and that's prolly why I don't want him. As much as I would love to rub their son on the wound of beating them, I feel like bringing in a player that gives us so many different dimensions allows us to win now! Let's face it, our WR corps isn't scaring no one yet. That said, I would prolly still take LF if available and hope like hell him and cam don't fight over being the Face of the offense.

I like Thomas but I don't see him being the difference maker McCaffery will be in terms of winning games.

I'm just not high on any secondary player in consideration for top 20 pick in this draft as far as significantly improving our chances at winning games

1 hour ago, backINblack28 said:

what team uses a #8 pick on james white? i get you're arguing he would be a better version, but even a danny woodhead, shane vereen, ryan matthews, sproles type back?

i don't disagree with the progression of starting to like the idea of having him more in our offense, and i've had the same transition, but i still don't think his value is 8th overall.  he is one of those players that has climbed perception since he's been off of a college field from like round 2-4 to top 10.  and he hasn't done anything on a field really to warrant that...so it's strange for me to now look at him differently.

i just don't think there's anyway we take mccaffrey with either thomas, LF, or adams still on the board. if none of the aforementioned players are there, and we traded down and got him, that'd be another thing.

Oh yeah definitely, there's players that I'd take over McCaffery, all of which you mentioned and s few others, save Thomas. 

That being said, McCaffery is much better version of all those HBs you mentioned. Unlinke those guys, McCaffery is a physical runner who can run between the tackles. Sure he won't run anyone over, but he's strong. 

Archived