• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Some ''Non-Huddler'' Jaguars Opinions on Fournette

SetfreexX

With all the McCafferey threads popping up, and how he's the most versatile etc, etc. Many seem to have ultimately assumed Fournette will not be there and we are settling on the consolation prize options. I still personally believe McCafferey is not a ''Franchise'' caliber running back in the NFL, but more in the mold of guys like (Bush, Sproles, Woodhead) all effective in their own rights, but they aren't franchise caliber backs and at 8, that's what I'm hoping we are drafting if indeed the selection is a running back. 

So without further delay here's an interesting piece from (http://www.bigcatcountry.com)

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2017/4/19/15285856/making-the-case-leonard-fournette-jaguars - For the full read

Let’s add more economical logic to it: The Jaguars have guaranteed Chris Ivory, who they signed to a five year, $32 million contract in 2016, $10 million. While he certainly made some of those guarantees in 2016, putting both contracts together, Ivory and Fournette will have taken over $36 million in guaranteed money out of the Jaguars checkbook by the time their contracts run out/they are cut by the team (if Fournette is selected by the Jaguars). That’s just way too much money to hand to running backs.

2 minutes ago, nctarheel0619 said:

Why do you want that?  He needs to drop to us.  McCaffrey would be a monster mistake.  

He's a talent for sure but I don't want him at 8 and I'd rather he go to the AFC than go anywhere near the NFC or worse the NFCS. He's not very elusive and I'm not confident his upright running/bowl everyone over style will translate to the NFL. I want a fast elusive back added to our backfield. Not saying LF sucks and I won't bitch if we take him but it's just my point of view.

Way I look at it McCafferey doesn't work here because we don't feature HB's in the passing game, even our screen game is weak. It's just not Cam's strength as a passer, hitting those pop passes doesn't seem like a realistic option. 

And we're not gonna be running the kid down the field up the seams, from a receiver stand point, he comes across like an Amendola type of possession slot receiver, who can work the quick short space. That's not our offense, and if we're talking evolution, I think that is going to see us return to more under-center running, and featuring more 12 personnel. 

13 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

The Jags can basically cut Ivory after this year with how his contract is structured. 

Chris Ivory isn't a good enough reason to pass up on LF

Cutting Ivory this year would not be a smart move on the Jaguars part as it results in $7,000,000 in dead cap space. It's much more cap conscious to wait til 2018 where the hit is $3,000,000. 

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/jacksonville-jaguars/chris-ivory-7085/

They still have Yeldon who is young as well as Corey Grant, not to mention they still have a weak OL. You don't take the HB before the OL. If the consensus is that Elliot saw success due to DAL OL and he was taken 4th overall then drafting a HB 8th overall with one of the worst lines in the league further sets the offense back. 

Did you even read the article? If Jacksonville is interested in an additional runner, a day two or three investment makes more sense roster wise, and economically.

Personally, ive been vocal in my declining interest in Fournette.  He scares me, and not in a good way.  I think his career will be incredibly underwhelming and likely cut short due to injuries.

That being said, i'm just about equally skeptical about McCaffrey's pro prospects.  I think he will end up being a lot like Reggie Bush - jack of all trades, master of none, and too slight to be a featured back.  I also think he'll have trouble contributing on offense because of his lack of physicality and i think his fit here is even worse because his only hope of being truly great is playing under an offensive mind that can take advantage of the mismatches he creates in spots... that offensive mind is NOT Shula.

Archived