• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

UPDATE: Some Teams Have Removed Ross Entirely From Boards Due To Absolutely "Terrible" Medicals

Saca312

10 minutes ago, Bronn said:

Honestly that is it, which is stupid.

He came up limping after that 40.

He ran mostly fades and streaks in college, and isn't great at separating or running other routes IMHO.

You're smarter than this.

Is there concern for injury with him? Of course but to say people only want him because of his 40 time... c'mon.

Ross is a game changer and more importantly he's a "touchdown scorer"

2 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

You're smarter than this.

Is there concern for injury with him? Of course but to say people only want him because of his 40 time... c'mon.

Ross is a game changer and more importantly he's a "touchdown scorer"

I disagree. I can rattle off tons of WRs in the past that, while not necessarily as fast, did just as many "game changing" things.

I've been haunted for my love of guys like Mardy Gilyard for a while now. He's probably the closest to Ross comparison I can come up with on the fly, but Gilyard was a better rounded WR. He was slower than Ross, obviously, because most people are. But Ross' tape is worse than Gilyard's, to me at least. Gilyard had way better cuts and hands, at least to me.

Where is Mardy Gilyard now? He was a 4th rounder, and now he's in the arena leagues. I still argue that he was/is better than John Ross, aside from timed speed.

5 minutes ago, Bronn said:

I disagree. I can rattle off tons of WRs in the past that, while not necessarily as fast, did just as many "game changing" things.

I've been haunted for my love of guys like Mardy Gilyard for a while now. He's probably the closest to Ross comparison I can come up with on the fly, but Gilyard was a better rounded WR. He was slower than Ross, obviously, because most people are. But Ross' tape is worse than Gilyard's, to me at least. Gilyard had way better cuts and hands, at least to me.

Where is Mardy Gilyard now? He was a 4th rounder, and now he's in the arena leagues. I still argue that he was/is better than John Ross, aside from timed speed.

I hear you, I think I took out my frustration on whiffing on Tavon Austin out on Brandin Cooks even though they were two completely different type of "little guys".

Since Austin I have been hesitant to like the small guys but me personally, if he can stay healthy I think Ross can be Desean Jackson.

But Ross staying healthy is obviously a big question mark and a big risk but the reward is worth the risk imo. If we slides into the 2nd I'd be all over that in a heartbeat. 

6 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

I hear you, I think I took out my frustration on whiffing on Tavon Austin out on Brandin Cooks even though they were two completely different type of "little guys".

Since Austin I have been hesitant to like the small guys but me personally, if he can stay healthy I think Ross can be Desean Jackson.

But Ross staying healthy is obviously a big question mark and a big risk but the reward is worth the risk imo. If we slides into the 2nd I'd be all over that in a heartbeat. 

FWIW I still love Tavon Austin.

If he wasn't on the Rams, I think he'd be bigger.

I watched a lot of live WVU games for Noel Devine, and came out liking Tavon Austin more and watching the games a year after Devine because of Austin.

Wouldn't be surprising at all if the report was true. Also wouldn't be surprising at all if it's complete bullshit. Who knows?

The thing is though that leaking info like this really won't impact his draft stock at all. Any team that's seriously considering drafting him will have done their own medical checks on those knees.

1 minute ago, *FreeFua* said:

Agree

I'd much rather send a 2nd round pick to the LAR for Tavon Austin than draft pretty much any WR in this draft outside of Williams and Davis... Then again, his contract is pretty bad IIRC.

33 minutes ago, Lumps said:

Why do people want Ross? His 4.22? What else?

A lot of places had him ranked as the third best receiver before the combine.  He is not some nobody who just showed up at the combine and ran a good time and now everyone is talking about him.  All the combine did was increase the number of people talking about him going before Williams or Davis.

12 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

How injured can he be if he can still run a 4.3. sure his history is a concern but I would think that time suggests the surgeries didn't impact his speed at least.

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

I don't think anybody is saying that his past medical problems have diminished his athletic ability, the combine was proof of that.  The history makes people nervous that he will get hurt again.  Medical history is one of those variables that some people might view as an indicator for future problems. 

Injuries are one of those things that lead to players being "bust".  Trying to predict them is difficult.  Past history is one of the few things teams can go by.

I'm actually a fan of him and think he could be a real difference maker for a team, I'm just not sure at what point you pick him.  In the top 10 there are probably other options that can help your team as much without the red flags.  Later in the first round that might not be the case.

Picking a player isn't just about what you think of that player in a vacuum, you have to look at your other options.  People like to talk about reward vs risk of picking players but it is also about the reward of said player vs other players you could pick at that same point.

At 8 you might feel like the reward of picking Ross isn't that much better than someone like Barnett (just using him as an example) for you take on the increased risk of the medical history.  At 20 though maybe you view the "reward" great enough over someone like Njoku(here again just an example) for you to pick him.

Either way I expect him to go in the 15-25 range so I'm not sure he is going to be in play for us.  I think our best chance for drafting a receiver in this draft is Jones at 40 or someone like Godwin, Taylor, or Henderson at 64.

Archived