• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Setting the Record Straight on McCaffrey

XClown1986

I posted in another thread about how I have gone back and forth on McCaffrey. Admittedly, I was swayed by the naysayers and the pundits without really watching the kid on the field as much. Well let me first off state that I was wrong to doubt him. And so are many of you out there. This kid is not what he is perceived to be by the outsiders. And should he be there at 8 and we draft him, we should all be thrilled that he is going to wear the Panther uniform on Sundays.

First of all, he isn't Fournette, but he runs with enough power and leverage to get it done. Stanford has a power running scheme, lets get that out of the way for those of you that didn't realize this. But also, McCaffrey dominated in this scheme. 

Below: McCaffrey vs. Oregon

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/christian-mccaffrey-vs-oregon-2016/

Just watch the first 2 minutes of the video and you see what this kid is capable of. He pass blocks well, he finds a crease and drags 2 defenders for 8 yards, then on the next play jukes and pulls away from everyone for a long touchdown, etc.

Below: McCaffrey vs. Washington

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/christian-mccaffrey-vs-washington-2016/

This is where the naysayers start their naysaying. Obviously this was not Stanford's best game and it wasn't McCaffrey's either. But upon a 2nd viewing, that Washington defense is badass. I mean they FLY to the football. 

Also, Stanford had a quarterback controversy going into the 2016 season between Ryan Burns (senior) and Keller Chryst (highly touted out of highschool, but not yet developed junior). David Shaw went with the senior, Burns, which was a huge mistake. In 7 starts Burns threw for 1100 yards, 5 touchdowns, and 7 interceptions, and was sacked 23 times. 23! In 7 games!

He was finally benched for Keller Chryst and Chryst threw for 900 yards, 10 touchdowns, and 2 interceptions, and was sacked 11 times in 6 starts (He started the Sun Bowl but got hurt, but more on that later). 

In the 7 starts made by Burns, McCaffrey started 6 games and ran for 612 yards at 4.9 per carry and 4 total touchdowns. And he also got hurt against Washington, which hobbled him for only 8 carries the next week against Washington State, and then he sat out because of injury the next week at Notre Dame, and then only ran for 92 yards against Colorado.

But then David Shaw wised up, benched Burns, and started Chryst. In Keller Chryst's 5 starts (can't include Sun Bowl, because McCaffrey didn't play) McCaffrey ran for 991 yards at 7.48 per carry and had 12 total touchdowns. 

Do you see what I am getting at here? Teams knew to stack the box because Burns was garbage. He was a one read, tuck, and run type QB. And Stanford suffered for it. Once they got a QB in there that could move the chains, they had to play him honest. 

This truly is a team game, but for the 1st half of 2016 it was McCaffrey vs. ________________ every week. And he still put up respectable figures. He just got MUCH better once the QB play improved.

So TL;DNR:  McCaffrey is a stud, and he fits everything we do on the field. We would be lucky to have him.

P.S. I said I would get back to the Sun Bowl. Chryst only threw 6 passes in the Sunbowl. Completed half for 68 yards and a TD (QBR of 95.6). Once he got hurt, Burns came in and threw 11 times for 86 yards (QBR of 22.9). Imagine if Chryst had been able to play the whole game. The game could have been a whole lot uglier for Trubisky if good ol' Ryan Burns hadn't kept the game close with his hot garbage play.

Just now, mjligon said:

I get sick of people comparing player A to player B.

Why can't McCaffrey just be Christian McCaffrey? 

It's called Context.  McCaffrey and Reggie Bush have the same strengths and weaknesses.  Their games are very very similar.  Great Return game, catching out of the backfield, smaller stature, so will not be able to run between tackles as effectively as college.  Similar speed and agility, etc. 

1 minute ago, Lout said:

It's called Context.  McCaffrey and Reggie Bush have the same strengths and weaknesses.  Their games are very very similar.  Great Return game, catching out of the backfield, smaller stature, so will not be able to run between tackles as effectively as college.  Similar speed and agility, etc. 

Just saying- one player's success or failure does not correlate to another player. 

Every one is different. Different drive, drifferent work ethic, etc. 

I get it, but it just seems lazy to try and determine another persons success or failure rate based on what someone else has done that might be similar to him.

He is bigger and faster than Emmitt Smith and Walter Payton, and is a better receiver than both.  They lead the NFL in all time rushing, and we are arguing that he is too small.  His skill set makes us change the offense, and isn't that what we have all been saying that we want?  If he is the pick, then I'm happy to call him a Panther and look forward to many years of offensive highlight plays.

Mccaffrey doesn't fit our team at all, we are not all of a sudden gonna turn into the patriots or saints and start using a RB as a primary receiver. He can't run in between the tackles, he doesn't break a lot of tackles, he's not as fast as people are claiming. Stanford O-line makes everyone look great 

7 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

Mccaffrey doesn't fit our team at all, we are not all of a sudden gonna turn into the patriots or saints and start using a RB as a primary receiver. He can't run in between the tackles, he doesn't break a lot of tackles, he's not as fast as people are claiming. Stanford O-line makes everyone look great 

Can you use your time machine to tell us who we are going to draft?

12 minutes ago, bobcat91 said:

He is bigger and faster than Emmitt Smith and Walter Payton, and is a better receiver than both.  They lead the NFL in all time rushing, and we are arguing that he is too small.  His skill set makes us change the offense, and isn't that what we have all been saying that we want?  If he is the pick, then I'm happy to call him a Panther and look forward to many years of offensive highlight plays.

He's not bigger than emmitt. Emmitt was a few pounds bigger and much shorter. Compact is better for a RB. Emmitt wasn't skinny and considered small because he was compact and built. McCaffrey isn't. 

11 minutes ago, bobcat91 said:

Every other player is bigger and faster nowadays. McCaffery wouldn't be able to take the hits as an every down back. Why would you want to draft a Danny Woodhead copy at #8? We already have Fozzy for 3rd down situations 

Archived