• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why does DG get cute in last 2 rounds?

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I always get a kick out of when anyone who doesn't work in an NFL front office talks about "my board" like it actually fuging matters. Stop using industry lingo and just spout your useless opinion on prospects.

/rant off

says the guy that bitched about every fuging pick

A) I love that we picked up a FB, and if Dave this this guy is a better option than that FB that got picked after, I'm gonna trust him. Armah is a biiig, athletic dude who looks like he can move people better than Rogers. 

B) I love that we picked a Kicker.  We've needed one for years now and an argument could be made that Gano's game losing miss in week one set the tone for the whole year. Was this the K Dave wanted or did Gonzalez get snapped up right before we were going to take him?  Dunno, either way I'm glad Dave grabbed a kicker cuz they're such a craps shoot we could have ended up with the best one anyway. If we got the best K available to Dave, I'm glad we spent the pick on him. Better to throw a 7th at him than just hoping he'll sign with us as an UDFA. 

Ok maybe Hodges bad example but why not take a flyer on a safety like Xavier Woods or Desmond King who would play corner or convert to safety?   

And if you look back on DG's last two rounds you'll see water football has been right about his picks along with the ones after his picks in last two round.

From my limited understanding, 6th and 7th round picks have a low chance in even making the team. If the FO has unsigned vet FAs in mind at a position, they aren't going to draft that player (safety and TE). However, if they can find someone who they can put on the PS in a low risk/high reward with a low chance of them getting picked off by another team, it's a win for the team. It might seem "cute" but what's the point in drafting someone who may end up on another team because he couldn't hide on the PS for 1-2 years? Keep in mind that we still have preseason cuts. Papa G has a history of picking off value vets cuts during the preseason roster shakedown so expect us to fill our depth/holes in the last few weeks before week one.

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

11 minutes ago, Daddy_Uncle said:

says the guy that bitched about every fuging pick

Bitched about every fuging pick, huh?

Please find anything negative I've said about McCaffrey.

No, I didn't like the Samuel pick. I'm tired of us drafting project WRs. I'd prefer we targeted someone who's a better route runner and overall more polished WR. But, he's a Panther now and I'll root like hell for him.

Torn on Moton. Not sure he's an OT and never a fan of small school OL, but "bitched" about him?

Hell, I was even mocking Daeshon Hall to the Panthers...

3/38: Daeshon Hall - DE, Texas A&M

A measurables pick. He's the prototype 4-3 DE. 6'6" 260# with very good athleticism. Definitely worth the risk at the bottom of the 3rd and even with taking Walker in the 2nd, DE is still a need. With this lineup, there's gonna be two rookie DEs in the two deep.

Corn...

Not sure I even voiced an opinion on the Armah pick.

Butker...

Out of seven picks, you can fairly claim that I "bitched about" one of them. One out of seven.

Stop trying to put words in other people's mouths to try to make a snarky point that doesn't exist. It makes you look like a dumbass.

Everyone complains about our kicker but don't want to try to improve. I love both of these   one things for sure. The kicker will have a lot of pressure on him. He will either crumble in to dust or become a diamond. He has to kick  very well to win the spot.

I think Hood's future position in the NFL - if he sticks - is as a Fullback. He's a good blocker and can be of use in short yardage situations. If we wanted a diamond in the rough FB, he would have been my choice. Armah  may end up panning out, but I can't remember too many success stories that started with a guy drafted to play a completely new position.

I'm fine with the kicker. I trust our front office's ability to scout kickers (who have been playing kicker) over Walter - whoever he is.

It's pretty dumb to use any media as a source to judge the pros who scout years of play  in person and on tape, go to combines and pro dayss, and bring in players for tests and interviews. Not only that but they are looking for fits not just generic rankings to fill content.

13 minutes ago, #PanthersKing said:

I really hope that Armah makes it bc we need a FB badly. It's just really tough to see Armah making that transition from being a defender in college to FB overnight in the NFL. Last time he played FB was in HS. You're asking a lot. He's a developmental project. If he doesn't show much of anything in camp, I think he's gone. Really don't know why Dave didn't grab a vet FB. This was the year to do so. 

He played both ways in college. He was all-conference on both offense and defense.

There is a reason why rounds 4-7 are on day three.  There is a reason you have 5 minutes to make a choice.

OP is doing nothing more than being creative and bashing Gettleman.

I love how he throws up Gaffney as part of his justification.  I guess he forgot the New England snatched him up.  

I think the value we got with Hall was worth giving up 5.

OP clearly didn't listen to the post draft news conference. Armah has a great potential to be molded into a great FB. He might take a year to learn but he has all the tools necessary.  Gettleman mentioned his hands two or three times.   At least the professionals that get paid to evaluate these guys believe so.

As far as the kicker goes OP didn't listen to that either.  Had we not drafted the kicker we may not have had a good one for competition because the kicker could have gone to whichever team tried to pick him up.

These second guessing Gettleman threads get old after awhile.

I find it funny that guys that spend about 15 minutes a week evaluating players think they know more than the guys that do it day in and day out for the entire year.

Archived