• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Shula

Pantherxtreme

12 minutes ago, top dawg said:

This thread, other than the on-point sarcasm makes little sense.

It's preseason. Shula is trying to get certain players in on certain play calls, not game-planning for a regular game. Yeah "winning" is nice. Moral victories can mean something, I guess, but preseason is more about the evaluation of execution by personnel. 

I'm not saying that coaches like it when the game is a stinker and players look terrible, but when it's preseason I think that they sometime take advantage of the situation and see how personnel react and respond. (Hell, I would). Can learn a lot from a loss.  Personally I think some things of the backup guys really pushed it hard today.  

Not to worry, we'll have plenty of opportunities to excoriate Shula during the regular season. 

My bad. I may have been just a tad harsh being that you have different levels of knowledge about this stuff.

You have to realize that a preseason game is a glorified practice. Just because a play doesn't work in preseason, against one competitor, in a certain situation, doesn't mean that it won't work in an entirely different situation during the regular season, against a different or the same opponent, when the OC is actually strategizing and counterpunching as opposed to trying to simply evaluate.

1 hour ago, Pantherxtreme said:

What does Shula not letting Mccaffery carry the ball into the 2nd quarter have to do with the starters playing the whole game? Why don't you look at some more film and come back and tell us how much you think KB sucks and Russell Shepard is destined to make the probowl.

You better get use to it, Stewart is still gonna get the majority of the carries 

15 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

Um, CMC lining out wide isn't a sound strategy?

Since I'm writing on this very topic, I'll show you how exactly CMC lining out wide is very effective.

CMC1x.gif.72b2280299ddb25875a00f260864fe33.gif

CMC lining out wide basically frees up the slot. There's more space for the slot receiver to work with and allows him to go one on one against the corner inside. As seen above, KB beats his man on the line and takes advantage of the matchup for a good gain.

So yes, lining up CMC wide IS a very sound strategy.

Well I would like to read it Saca I actually enjoy reading posters who talk football and personally try to stay away from all the soap opera drama.

But I also remember Shula lining Tolbert out wide and thought the same thing then. But Christian is a totally different athlete so we'll see.

i am far from any fan of shula. never liked him. never liked the idea of hiring as a QB coach. REALLY didn't like his getting promoted to OC.

that said....i'm not going to hold his (lack of) game plan or play calling in a preseason game against him because preseason games are for one purpose and one purpose only (at least as far as panthers and most teams are concerned): evaluation of your own players.

part of it may have been to see the effect lining CMC out wide has on defenders, but for the most part it's only for evaluation purposes.

now where the titans are concerned....they treated this as an actual game and were playing for pride that we had striped away from them in real games. patriots did that a couple years ago which resulted in basically a broken back for cam.

that's not how it should be and it's not how we play in preseason. it's all about deciding on that roster.

21 minutes ago, rayzor said:

that said....i'm not going to hold his (lack of) game plan or play calling in a preseason game against him because preseason games are for one purpose and one purpose only (at least as far as panthers and most teams are concerned): evaluation of your own players.

Well... as @Jeremy Igo has repeatedly said (and I have repeatedly agreed), we say this same thing every year then, when the regular season comes, VOILA!  It looks like what he was doing in preseason.

MAYBE THIS TIME IT'LL BE DIFFERENT!!!! YEAH, THAT'S THE TICKET!!! :P

59 minutes ago, Pantherxtreme said:

I understand there is no game planning, I just thought the ideal of lining CMC out wide was just not sound strategy and I hope they weren't practicing it to use it when the games really count because it didn't look effective, as opposed to Tennessee offensive scheme  despite it being preseason looked effective.  So I made a thread about it, if it got you guys all in a bunch you can delete it geez. 

So the first game CMC mainly ran because that is what we installed first. He was mostly a receiver thos time because that is what we worked on and installed this week. Maybe we will do more screens and put him in the slot because that is what we work on next week.  

See the pattern? We install the offense as we go and run the plays we worked on. You can't install everything at once, it doesn't work that way. So Shula is running what we installed not the complete offense.

3 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

Well... as @Jeremy Igo has repeatedly said (and I have repeatedly agreed), we say this same thing every year then, when the regular season comes, VOILA!  It looks like what he was doing in preseason.

lol probably so. i'll give him the benefit of the doubt in preseason, but he always proves he's deserving of every bit of that doubt when the season starts.

6 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

Yeah we never change things up Like in 2015 when KB went down in preseason and we revamped the whole run game to make up for the loss...........

Oh wait......

31 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Yeah we never change things up Like in 2015 when KB went down in preseason and we revamped the whole run game to make up for the loss...........

Oh wait......

So... tell me if I'm wrong... what you are saying is that it takes a catastrophic injury to a key player to move Shula out of his preferred comfort-zone?

14 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

So... tell me if I'm wrong... what you are saying is that it takes a catastrophic injury of a player to move Shula out of his preferred comfort-zone?

Nope I am saying we are one season removed from having the highest scoring offense in the league and there is every hope that as long as Cam is healthy, we are going to have a great year.  I think the scheme was never the issue, it was having personnel who can execute. Look at how McCaffrey made that screen look like a great play call yet if Tolbert or Stewart had run it we might have gotten 5 yards. Was it the call or the execution? Great players make an OC look amazing while poor or injured ones make him look clueless. Shula has the weapons but it still rests on Cam being healthy as the whole offense is built for and around him. The fact that Webb looks so much better than Anderson is that our scheme favors Webb's skill sets better than it does Anderson. Webb has come on like gangbusters and really looks good. He is very athletic and elusive in the pocket.

Archived