• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hot takes from San Fran's DC

B_Eazi

You guys are going up against two very good receivers, Carolina Panthers WR Kelvin Benjamin and Carolina Panthers TE Greg Olsen. In your cover three scheme, one way to attack the cover three is down the seams. How much emphasis are you putting in the free safety to know what to look for in pre-snap recognition so he can make the proper decision if both players beat their respective coverages?

“The way the defense is structured we feel pretty good about the way teams run seams against us and how we defend it. The free safety always has the freedom to roam in our coverage to be able to handle, I mean, he is a no seams no post safety. So, he’s got to take care of them. But, structurally, the way the defense is designed, seams is not a problem for us.”

Are you guys going to have to key on Carolina Panthers QB Cam Newton to make sure he doesn’t get loose running the ball?

“We’ll see. Cam is unbelievable. He’s an unbelievable talent. So, trying to handle him and all that stuff with our rush and the way we operate, again, it’s going to be one of those deals where we’ll have a plan for him, but how big of a plan is--.”

You’ll be prepared for him to run, but are you expecting him to do a lot of runs?

“I expect him to be Cam. I’m sure he’s 100-percent and he’s going to be rolling like he normally does.”

I know you’re familiar with Carolina Panthers RB Christian McCaffrey but there’s no way to know exactly how Carolina plans to use him. How do you prepare to defend him? How do you game plan this week for him?

“You never want to chase ghosts. We have an idea of what they’re going to do. Again, we’ll keep everything within the structure of the defense. It always comes back to us. Will they use him? I’ll be a lot of money they’re going to use him in many creative ways. It’s our job to understand that it’s not about the player that’s performing. It’s about the structure of the defense and how we defend the entire field.”

I would assume they didn’t show anything in the preseason that really popped out about how they use him?

“No.”

As a coach, does the season opener make you a little more nervous, just because you don’t have that one game of film from this year to kind of study, you guess a little bit?

“No. Like I said, it always comes back to us and trying to represent the style that we are on defense. It doesn’t matter what a team throws. They’re going to throw wrenches. They get paid. So, they are going to gain yards. They might score a point. But, it always comes back to us and how much of a dog do you want to be on the football field. And you keep coming and keep coming until that whistle blows at the end of the fourth quarter. It’s our will versus theirs. How far are you willing to go further than your opponent. That’s our mindset. That’s the way we operate. We understand the way the game works. We understand they’ll have wrenches. We understand that they have an unbelievable football team. Two years ago they were the number one scoring offense in football. It’s just our mindset and our will to go further than they’re willing to. That’s the way we’re created on defense.”

Which players on your defense have the quicks and bursts to cover McCaffrey man to man?

“I feel like all of them do. It’s kind of a cliché answer, but [LB] Reuben [Foster] can, [LB NaVorro] Bowman can. Like I said, it’s not about him, it’s about us and the way we operate defensively and the things that we can do to put ourselves in a position to be successful.”

I know you’re not focused on Carolina Panthers LB Luke Kuechly and Carolina Panthers LB Thomas Davis, but as a defensive guy do you have an appreciation for their inside linebacker talent that’ll be on the field?

“Heck yeah. Heck yeah. I like ours better though.”

In the draft there was talk that Carolina Panthers WR Curtis Samuel could do sort of the same things as sort of a quasi-wide receiver-running back. Have they done anything like that with him in the preseason? Do you have to be cognizant of him as well as McCaffrey in those dual roles?

“I’m sure they’ll have something for him. I’m sure they’re going to want to feature all their guys at some point in the game. Again, it goes back to us. We’re not concerned with who they do it with. They are going to do it and we’ve got to be sound defensively.”

McCaffrey, he’s just known for his shiftiness, just quick cuts. How do you tell your guys to tackle that? Are they watching his hips, his shoulders? He has the ability to just cut so quickly.

“He is, he’s shifty. He’s a shifty little sucker. We have our tackling plan. We feel like we do a great job with the way we tackle. Our plan has been relayed. I won’t get into it, but we’re comfortable with what we showed the players and the plan for Sunday.”

Full Interview

https://www.ninersnation.com/2017/9/7/16271600/robert-saleh-transcript-christian-mccaffrey-free-safety-49ers-vs-panthers

5 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

Lol, he thinks bowman or foster can cover him?  Yet, the best LBing duo in the NFL demonstrated that impossibility in camp.  It's hard to admit you're about to lose.

If he didn't believe his guys could cover a player, he should probably retire from coaching.  

7 minutes ago, rainwater said:

If he didn't believe his guys could cover a player, he should probably retire from coaching.  

No, if he didn't SAY that, he should probably retire.  He KNOWS his guys will not be able to win that matchup, but he can't acknowledge that.

1 hour ago, B_Eazi said:

He’s a shifty little sucker.

There's that "little" reference again. I've even heard talking heads refer to him as 'short', at 5'11". Hell, CAP only has 10 lbs. on him, at about the same height. I guess teams thinking he'll be easy to take down is a good thing. 

6 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

If they think for a second that Navarro and Foster have the "quicks" to hang with CMC theyre going to be sorely disappointed.  

Reuben Foster is a stud. He very well could end up DROY. Now can he hang with CMC? Who knows? But he will be a very good player for them. I expect him to be anyways.

4 minutes ago, Moorgan said:

Reuben Foster is a stud. He very well could end up DROY. Now can he hang with CMC? Who knows? But he will be a very good player for them. I expect him to be anyways.

Maybe I need to clarify...in space...neither will touch him.  These to LBs are good at filling gaps and going sideline to sideline but if CMC gets out in space, it's over.

1 hour ago, caatfan said:

There's that "little" reference again. I've even heard talking heads refer to him as 'short', at 5'11". Hell, CAP only has 10 lbs. on him, at about the same height. I guess teams thinking he'll be easy to take down is a good thing. 

Just another slick way to tear down the white RB.  QB or Safety and nobody flinches, RB?  Oh lawd, little whitey gon get brained out there!

Archived