• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The most demorilizing part of all of this

KillaCamNewton

Is that we all (myself included) thought that even with the loss in the Super Bowl that this team had finally "got it" and turned the corner

Losing the Super Bowl sucked, obviously, but that night felt like we just werent quite ready for the moment and we would have plenty more chances to win. We had the best player in the league who was barely even entering his prime, a once in a generation leader on defense, a young core of starts mixed with seasoned veterans, a locker room that demanded accountability and excellence, a GM that had been there before and looked to be the mastermind of a dynasty, and a coaching staff that looked to have grown through the hard times and had it figured out. I know I wasn't the only one who thought after Super Bowl 50 that "it's okay, Cam is gonna get a couple before his career is over." After 20 years I truly believed the franchise had turned the corner and would be a dominant team for the next 10 years.

Fast forward 18 months and I'm convinced today was only the beginning of what's to come. We managed to let a homegrown superstar walk for nothing, we fired the only GM that breeded any sort of long term success, our HOF linebacker is a concussion away from possibly calling it quits, our coaching staff has only gotten worse since February 7th, 2016, and our franchise QB looks like his body will fail him if his mind isnt already checked out. 

Long story short, if there was any franchise that could take the best team in the league and turn it into a bottom 10 team within 2 years, it would be the Panthers, and it sucks that I thought it was gonna happen any other way

2 minutes ago, KillaCamNewton said:

We managed to let a homegrown superstar walk for nothing,

Assume you're speaking of Josh Norman? Then I'd point out we got a 3rd round compensatory and the 15 million dollars per year in cap space for the next 5 years we would have spent on JNO. That is far from nothing.

5 minutes ago, Kevin Greene said:

Assume you're speaking of Josh Norman? Then I'd point out we got a 3rd round compensatory and the 15 million dollars per year in cap space for the next 5 years we would have spent on JNO. That is far from nothing.

A pick we used on Daryl Worley who has shown to be as useful as Melvin White and cap space used to sign Matt Kalil, who looks to be even worse than the crap we used to toss out onto the field at tackle. Yeahhhh I think Id rather have Norman still here

10 minutes ago, thomas96 said:

If Gettleman came in and cleared house we may have won a Super Bowl by now. Sticking with Rivera was his fatal flaw. JR sucks.

Its sad because Ron is an easy guy to root for. Players respect him, he's a stand up guy, and he truly has a brilliant defensive mind. Unfortunately being a successful head coach requires a lot more

2 minutes ago, KillaCamNewton said:

Its sad because Ron is an easy guy to root for. Players respect him, he's a stand up guy, and he truly has a brilliant defensive mind. Unfortunately being a successful head coach requires a lot more

I really do like him and he'd be a great d coordinator, but he's underqualified to be a head coach in this league, and that has become painfully clear.

13 minutes ago, thomas96 said:

If Gettleman came in and cleared house we may have won a Super Bowl by now. Sticking with Rivera was his fatal flaw. JR sucks.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out that, at some point, JR made RR and the staff off limits from Gettleman. Dave just doesn't (didn't) seem like one to patiently tolerate mediocrity as a result of the same actions over and over again. 

That said, I'm just speculating like most anyone else.

Just now, KSpan said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out that, at some point, JR made RR and the staff off limits from Gettleman. Dave just doesn't (didn't) seem like one to patiently tolerate mediocrity as a result of the same actions over and over again. 

That said, I'm just speculating like most anyone else.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit either. I think it's very possible JR held DG back a ton. Which would make his accomplishments here even more amazing.

8 minutes ago, ludwig51 said:

Gettleman man sucked he screwed us just as much as hurney did bad drafts , signed Kalil  lets the best cb just walk that'sike Seattle letting Sherman just walk for nothing!!! He never fired rivera or Shula and he got himself wacked. Our seasons basically done if we don't make any changes and I know we won't make any changes so it's basically over Y

Yup. Whatcha gon do? Let's see shall we? 1st, you can just quit the Panthers', and find a team that is capable of meeting your expectations. 2nd, remain a Panther fan, and continue to...go a tad overboard with your posts. 3rd, remain a Panther fan, and tone it down to, oh, I don't know, to just complaining. 

A whine, is just a bitch, until you offer a solution. 

51 minutes ago, KillaCamNewton said:

Is that we all (myself included) thought that even with the loss in the Super Bowl that this team had finally "got it" and turned the corner

Losing the Super Bowl sucked, obviously, but that night felt like we just werent quite ready for the moment and we would have plenty more chances to win. We had the best player in the league who was barely even entering his prime, a once in a generation leader on defense, a young core of starts mixed with seasoned veterans, a locker room that demanded accountability and excellence, a GM that had been there before and looked to be the mastermind of a dynasty, and a coaching staff that looked to have grown through the hard times and had it figured out. I know I wasn't the only one who thought after Super Bowl 50 that "it's okay, Cam is gonna get a couple before his career is over." After 20 years I truly believed the franchise had turned the corner and would be a dominant team for the next 10 years.

Fast forward 18 months and I'm convinced today was only the beginning of what's to come. We managed to let a homegrown superstar walk for nothing, we fired the only GM that breeded any sort of long term success, our HOF linebacker is a concussion away from possibly calling it quits, our coaching staff has only gotten worse since February 7th, 2016, and our franchise QB looks like his body will fail him if his mind isnt already checked out. 

Long story short, if there was any franchise that could take the best team in the league and turn it into a bottom 10 team within 2 years, it would be the Panthers, and it sucks that I thought it was gonna happen any other way

Agreed.  This is how a lot of us felt.  Now we are just disappointed.  I don't know why people are throwing poo on your post, but it is true.  Good post.  

30 minutes ago, thomas96 said:

Wouldn't surprise me one bit either. I think it's very possible JR held DG back a ton. Which would make his accomplishments here even more amazing.

He did it's obvious and not even a secret anymore. Wouldn't surprise me at all like i've said that Gman probably wanted Shula gone too. His big mistake like yall said was letting RR stay...if Gman could have it back he'd have fired RR and his poo staff and brought in his own.

We can't even fully evaluate Gettleman as JR was meddling too much and the rumors at the time was that the new GM was stuck with RR and co. regardless because of JR...it really is as simple as our owner is the weakest link and that's saying something considering we have SHula.

Archived