• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Ewing Theory

PantherBrew

2 minutes ago, PhillyB said:

top 30?

top 50?

either way, if your QB coach can't coach your QB to distribute the ball and your OC can't design schemes to get different players on the field the problem is your coaching staff, not provable commodities at QB and WR.

this team is absolutely dysfunctional from the top down.

One of the biggest complaints here about KB was how we were "forcing" the ball to him. People also said the same thing about Steve Smith in his final few seasons. But many here are now advocating forcing it to CMC even more than we already are. Memories tend to get hazy around here.

1 minute ago, TheRed said:

One of the biggest complaints here about KB was how we were "forcing" the ball to him. People also said the same thing about Steve Smith in his final few seasons. But many here are now advocating forcing it to CMC even more than we already are. Memories tend to get hazy around here.

Funchess AND McCaffery both have more targets than KB this season.

Nothing is being forced to KB this year. Cam looks his way in tough spots because he can rely on him. Hazy and blindly join the group mentality around here because it’s “cool” to be part of the big group.

You think Funchess hangs onto that first down ball to seal the game in Detroit? Hell fugging no

This team is managed ass backwards. We get rid of players that we should, but we never have any replacement plan for them. We do things too late to the point where we force ourselves into a hole. This trade would've been spectacular if we also obtained Hilton. Now we have nothing.

People are really trying to dig up ways that you can justify such blind stupidity. This trade happened because other teams know that Hurney is a moron and would say yes, no other way around it. Reminds me of our first draft without him when teams were still calling our line to see if we would trade away our 1st round pick and GMan laughed at them

1 hour ago, PantherBrew said:

Would we have thought we had someone better in 2015 when KB went down? 

We did have something better.  A defense that lead the league in interceptions, an better oline, and we could actually run the ball.  Don't get me wrong, I thought we made the best out of a bad situation that year irt the receiver corps, but we shouldn't act like Benjamin being out was the reason we were 15-1.  I don't think the defense is going to start getting more interceptions or the run game will suddenly pick up because Benjamin is gone.  

The problem is that when we lost KB in 2015 we had Stewart averaging 4.9YPC in the first halves of games along with Olsen, Ginn and Cotchery.. Also a defense that led the league in turnovers and was great at scoring. 

Not saying they can't do it but the pieces they have to use are entirely different. It's just puzzling because, it should mean that they're confident in the WRs they have after KB. But there hasn't really been that much other than Funchess. Shepard is OK and we still don't know anything about Samuel the WR. 

Honestly above all this type of move is a risky one to take with a player like Cam. You have the other best teams in the NFC making moves to up the ante while Cam watches his friend and leading WR get traded when they're 5-3 and KB is playing reasonably well through an injury scare.

Superstars leave now a days, Jerry. Quit fuging around.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Now KB is Ewing and Anthony?

HFS, this KB hate is unbelievable. He’s a WR, he has way less impact on the game than he’s being given credit for here. Even when he was here and we were 5-3, we were spreading the ball around more than we did in 2015.

We have a WR in Shepard who is playing way worse than KB but swapping KB for him is somehow making the OL better and making us run Cam more? Offense is doing better without him <> the offense was worse because of him.

If Shula and Cam needed him gone to do better, that’s on them, no reason they couldn’t have done better with him. Until Shepard actually contributes positively to the scoreboard I’ll still rather have KB out there instead of him. 

I was simply giving an example of another player who fit the theory.  

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

Anthony does. KB has way less impact than both of those guys and doesn’t. Trying to link KB to our running game/OL improvement is just silly. If it was that easy no teams would want a top WR.

Is it though? 

When there is at least a threat of a WR going vertical and burning the defense.  The defense has to play differently. Their whole mindset changes.  

I liked KB, but damn the proof is in the pudding.  Like objectively look at Cam's numbers when he is not playing. 

9 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Now KB is Ewing and Anthony? Those two were perennial all stars and considered top players at their peaks. One is in the HOF and the other likely will be. Now KB is that level of player and impact on our team?

HFS, this KB hate is unbelievable. He’s a WR, he has way less impact on the game than he’s being given credit for here. Even when he was here and we were 5-3, we were spreading the ball around more than we did in 2015.

We have a WR in Shepard who is playing way worse than KB but swapping KB for him is somehow making the OL better and making us run Cam more? Offense is doing better without him <> the offense was worse because of him.

If Shula and Cam needed him gone to do better, that’s on them, no reason they couldn’t have done better with him. Until Shepard actually contributes positively to the scoreboard I’ll still rather have KB out there instead of him. 

I agree mostly.  If we are playing better without him, then it wasn't his fault.   

TBH, I think it was more of a Cam issue.  We all know his obvious friendship with KB.  It always seemed on 3rd downs he was focused on going to KB with the problem being everyone else knew it as well.  Last night was one of the first nights this year that Cam seemed to have been looking at the entire field. 

KB was like the chocolate cake when Cam was on a diet.  You had to throw it a way completely or the temptation was 2 great. 

After watching the last couple of games, I'm going to give a lot of credence to the stated reason KB was traded away: too much of the big, tall, slow receivers and not enough speed on the field.

They let KB go and Funchess stay because KB had hit his ceiling while Funchess still had room to grow. And both of them on the field was allowing safeties to work the run game more and allowed linebackers to drop into coverage without requiring a nickel.

Passing game is looking better and as of last night, the running game is looking much, much better. 

The move was the right one and it goes to prove that the guys running the locker room and practices might know more about football than we do.

8 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Anthony does. KB has way less impact than both of those guys and doesn’t. Trying to link KB to our running game/OL improvement is just silly. If it was that easy no teams would want a top WR.

Again.  I was simply giving an example of a player who fit the theory.  I didn't try to link KB to anything.  

Archived