• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Something to watch for against NO

bigdog10

I meant to bring this up after the first New Orleans game but I was too pissed to give Brees and Payton any sort of credit. 

Brees and Payton found a new wrinkle in slowing down Luke Keuchlys pre snap reads and it was really very smart. 

When The saints broke the huddle they rushed to the line and quick snapped and ran the called play. This neutralized Luke’s ability to diagnose and align the defense. It resulted in some nice gains from New Orleans and kept them out of long third down situations where our pass rush could get home.  They essentially were running a hurry up out of a huddle. 

I’m really curious to see how Wilks and Rivera prepare the defense this week to counter this. 

Ive been looking for other teams to use this against Luke but none have really done so, mostly because the times teams have been in hurry up situations (the qb still needed the ability to check out of the play calls).  Both the Falcons and Dolphins ran hurry up, but Cutler and Ryan took their time at the line  

In order for the panthers to neutralize this, they need to get a lead on them and keep it. This strategy doesn’t really work if the saints are trailing.  Brees will need the time to adjust his playcall in which Luke can adjust his. 

1 hour ago, bigdog10 said:

I meant to bring this up after the first New Orleans game but I was too pissed to give Brees and Payton any sort of credit. 

Brees and Payton found a new wrinkle in slowing down Luke Keuchlys pre snap reads and it was really very smart. 

When The saints broke the huddle they rushed to the line and quick snapped and ran the called play. This neutralized Luke’s ability to diagnose and align the defense. It resulted in some nice gains from New Orleans and kept them out of long third down situations where our pass rush could get home.  They essentially were running a hurry up out of a huddle. 

I’m really curious to see how Wilks and Rivera prepare the defense this week to counter this. 

Ive been looking for other teams to use this against Luke but none have really done so, mostly because the times teams have been in hurry up situations (the qb still needed the ability to check out of the play calls).  Both the Falcons and Dolphins ran hurry up, but Cutler and Ryan took their time at the line  

In order for the panthers to neutralize this, they need to get a lead on them and keep it. This strategy doesn’t really work if the saints are trailing.  Brees will need the time to adjust his playcall in which Luke can adjust his. 

You are right about this. Good read.

2 Things I am confident in.

1.  Cam will play a good game.  Cam might lay an egg every few games.  But if he lays an egg vs a divisional team he historically brings it the next matchup.

2.  Luke figures out everything.  He might struggle communicating it to everyone in time...but he knows.   Also, some of that just is the luck of it all.  I mean, you run it fast at Luke consistently and take your options check options off the table for the sake of speed? ....you eventually gonna have some of those go very bad for you.   Maybe it didn't last time.  Law of averages to me says Saints ain't always gonna be as lucky with that strategy. 

10 minutes ago, CRA said:

2 Things I am confident in.

1.  Cam will play a good game.  Cam might lay an egg every few games.  But if he lays an egg vs a divisional team he historically brings it the next matchup.

2.  Luke figures out everything.  He might struggle communicating it to everyone in time...but he knows.   Also, some of that just is the luck of it all.  I mean, you run it fast at Luke consistently and take your options check options of the table for the sake of speed? ....you eventually gonna have some of those go very bad for you.   Maybe it didn't last time.  Law of averages to me says Saints ain't always gonna be as lucky with that strategy. 

Completely agree on the 2nd point.  Even with the success the saints had with this strategy, the defense wasn’t the main issue in the game. The offense was a very big part of the problem that Sunday. 

1 minute ago, bigdog10 said:

Completely agree on the 2nd point.  Even with the success the saints had with this strategy, the defense wasn’t the main issue in the game. The offense was a very big part of the problem that Sunday. 

yep.  

I expect Cam not to turn it over 3 times this week.   That helps.  

I just have zero faith that we want be looking at 2nd and long and 3rd and long all game because of there need to run Stewart all game. 

2 hours ago, GRWatcher said:

Wilks and Luke will be prepared this time with a different, better base defense. We've had a couple of other games where the opposing offense had Luke guessing early (NE & Buffalo come to mind) but he figured it out by halftime and it was, game over. 

We handled NE's offense well early in the game and not late, doesn't really support that theory. 

Archived