• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What is our Offense (Shula’s Flaw)

Reynman

Let’s look at Cam’s time with Shula as his OC:

Cam started out running a Coryell offense...we were very successful and boy was it fun picking up big chunks of yards...

Then the offensive line got hurt and there was not enough time for plays to develop, so in turn, Cam got hammered...

So “the staff” decides to get us a couple of Wes Walker types to take the pressure off Cam...get the ball out quicker...

So now we have no speed guy (Byrd may develop) and our glorified bubble screen guy CMC.

We can spend all day blaming the front offfice for not getting us the players, but c’mon...any one of these guys has the chance to take off and be the next great receiver.  Injuries have bit our receiving corp, but this is the NFL...next man up.

My point is that an effective offense takes all of this into consideration and creates a creative game plan.  Cam does not have great underneath catch and run timing, so we have to take what we are good at, and mix it up.  Shula sees CMC take a screen for 4 yards and then tries to overdose on it...keep running it til it proves not to work (and then run it 3 more times).

What can we do to have an effective offense???

i know...run up the middle on first down...

Shula has no situational awareness. 2qtr and on, he doesn't seem to know how to create rhythm or keep it rolling. Or is that Rivera slowing down the game? I don't know, and to be honest we may never know who's is doing what. I know that Cam is a better QB in the 4-2 minute drives. 

The Panthers have not had duo WRs worth a damn in 10 years. It's not for lack of trying. We seem to always be looking for WRs. 

I really have no idea what our offense is and I don't think Shula knows either. There never seems to be any game plan at all, he just wings it and never tries to change up whatever he decides to do that week. Never makes a game plan that adjusts to the players. Never sets our players up for success. He should've been out of a job after 2016.

20 minutes ago, Jangler said:

Shula has no situational awareness. 2qtr and on, he doesn't seem to know how to create rhythm or keep it rolling. Or is that Rivera slowing down the game? I don't know, and to be honest we may never know who's is doing what. I know that Cam is a better QB in the 4-2 minute drives. 

The Panthers have not had duo WRs worth a damn in 10 years. It's not for lack of trying. We seem to always be looking for WRs. 

This is the most valid post that will be in the thread.  The offense needs to run faster and needs far more talent on the edges.  I would imagine its hard to get too creative when you have training camp fodder as the 2nd, 3rd and 4th options. We basically have 4 Karl Hankton's and Funchess out there.

smh. 

First it was, why are we trying to make Cam a traditional QB, we need to utilize his run ability more.  Then they started throwing in all these design run plays, read option that Cam was comfortable with from Auburn days.  This was done with a lot of Cam's input.

Then everyone always talked about Shula running these down the field routes he needs to incorporate more short routes and utilize the rb's in the passing game.  Everone kept saying we have to protect Cam, get the ball out more quickly etc... So what happens, Cam always starts with his downfield reads and takes forever to check down.  His pass per attempt goes way down and he still gets hit a lot. 

Then people say, why don't we run the offense faster in a way that Cam seems to excel in.  But you have a defensive head coach that want's ball control time of possession games.  

Then people say, we need to find ways for our players to succeed when we have no mismatches at WR at pretty much any position.  We can't run slants, because there are 8 men in the box.   Our TE still looks gimpy.   Teams are keying on our only mismatch right now CMC.   Our QB's weakness is timing routes, and being consistently accurate.  Our Oline has 2 glaring weaknesses at the moment, the LT (occasionally) and Silatolu (all the time).  Our primary RB and secondary RB excel in traditional run offenses utilizing FB, but for whatever reason our HC hates our only real fullback. 

Even with all that, we still have plenty of chances to score, but something breakdowns all the time.   We haven't had a complete game in all 3 phases all year.  Cam was definitely slowed by offseason surgery and lack of training camp reps.  I always try to think of solutions rather than complain, but I don't see a lot of options to change.  2 of our bright spots at the WR position are on IR.  Our number 1 heading into the season is in Buffalo.  The defense we run this year is more high risk , high reward  we have far more rotational players yet we still run ball control offense. 

I don't know man.  I guess the in thing around here is Shula's fault.  It's valid that maybe we need to do something totally different on offense and need a new OC,  I just don't see how this cluster fug is all Shula's fault.   

13 minutes ago, Udogg said:

smh. 

First it was, why are we trying to make Cam a traditional QB, we need to utilize his run ability more.  Then they started throwing in all these design run plays, read option that Cam was comfortable with from Auburn days.  This was done with a lot of Cam's input.

Then everyone always talked about Shula running these down the field routes he needs to incorporate more short routes and utilize the rb's in the passing game.  Everone kept saying we have to protect Cam, get the ball out more quickly etc... So what happens, Cam always starts with his downfield reads and takes forever to check down.  His pass per attempt goes way down and he still gets hit a lot. 

Then people say, why don't we run the offense faster in a way that Cam seems to excel in.  But you have a defensive head coach that want's ball control time of possession games.  

Then people say, we need to find ways for our players to succeed when we have no mismatches at WR at pretty much any position.  We can't run slants, because there are 8 men in the box.   Our TE still looks gimpy.   Teams are keying on our only mismatch right now CMC.   Our QB's weakness is timing routes, and being consistently accurate.  Our Oline has 2 glaring weaknesses at the moment, the LT (occasionally) and Silatolu (all the time).  Our primary RB and secondary RB excel in traditional run offenses utilizing FB, but for whatever reason our HC hates our only real fullback. 

Even with all that, we still have plenty of chances to score, but something breakdowns all the time.   We haven't had a complete game in all 3 phases all year.  Cam was definitely slowed by offseason surgery and lack of training camp reps.  I always try to think of solutions rather than complain, but I don't see a lot of options to change.  2 of our bright spots at the WR position are on IR.  Our number 1 heading into the season is in Buffalo.  The defense we run this year is more high risk , high reward  we have far more rotational players yet we still run ball control offense. 

I don't know man.  I guess the in thing around here is Shula's fault.  It's valid that maybe we need to do something totally different on offense and need a new OC,  I just don't see how this cluster fug is all Shula's fault.   

Agreed. I personally think Shula's scheme is very good but his situational play calling is lacking. And right now poor receiver and line play is severely holding back everything. Either noone can get open or when they do, Cam has no time to find them.

The offense is ALWAYS going to look somewhat disjointed with glorified practice squad type of receivers consistently on the field, a suspect LT,  and at least one out of two OGs that is suspect as well.  An OC can only do so much. Great teams will scope out these weaknesses and exploit them in the end. So,  yes, at some point,  especially when some obvious problems are neglected year after year after year after year...the FO has to take the blame.

Receiver and O-line depth have to be addressed!  Sure,  injuries happen (and it sucks),  but since you know they're going to happen,  you have to have just a little more than band-aids and duct tape as a solution as your 10-year contingency plan. 

Look,  I'm not saying that a switch may not be warranted (I didn't  like the hire from the first),  but you have to have players that an actually execute consistently at your skill positions regardless of the one('s)  calling the plays, before you can lay all the blame at the coaches' feet. 

4 hours ago, KillerKat said:

I really have no idea what our offense is and I don't think Shula knows either. There never seems to be any game plan at all, he just wings it and never tries to change up whatever he decides to do that week. Never makes a game plan that adjusts to the players. Never sets our players up for success. He should've been out of a job after 2016.

shula trying to explain the identity of his offense:

Its-complicated-gif.gif

I can’t fault shula, some of the main gripes seem to be rons fault.

gm didn’t do a great Job giving shula much to work with either.

like I’ve said last season, qb coach needs to be replaced. Cam’s mechanics are still choppy and he has these rare games where he doesn’t check down/take what the defense gives us. I can’t fault shula for that.

his situational play-calling is choppy but that’s how most fans feel about their oc

9 minutes ago, usmcpanthers said:

Basically, everything we have ran so far this season needs to be scrapped. Our division foes know every one of our plays. We have one week to practice never before seen plays

but we have shula and this is a pipe dream.

Save us Ace Boogie your our only hope!

Agree-  Saints have our number.

Need to do exactly what you stated, but I doubt that it will occur.

Archived