• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL Report states Cam had "substantial" knee damage

CarolinaSunday

I know there's a thread about the concussion finding, but I thought this might warrant its own thread:

In the NFL investigation on whether the Panthers followed concussion protocol after the hit to the eye that Cam took, an interesting nugget was buried.  The reason Cam awkwardly fell to the ground was because he could not bend his knee.  From the NFL.com article

Per the investigation, when "Newton elected to 'take a knee' while coming off the field, he did so in an awkward fashion because he could not bend his right knee normally."

"He had an MRI a day later and it showed substantial damage and a lot of swelling, that's the reason he can't fully bend it as he goes to the ground," Sills told Rapoport.

I had not heard about a knee injury before.  I saw tweets indicating be does not need surgery but I don't love the "substantial" descriptor. 

2 minutes ago, TheRed said:

He's one of the toughest QB's this league has ever seen.

It's a shame our fanbase doesn't appreciate him more.

He nearly shreds his knee carrying the run game, and you've got people losing their minds over footwork.

He throw off his back foot dood

9 minutes ago, luke nukem said:

knee injuries are never good but if the MRI revealed that he didn't need surgery then there is nothing to really worry about... He's got 7 months to heal.

I'm glad they are saying he doesn't need surgery now. I'm just concerned that they used "substantial" to describe the damage they found. Sounds like there could be a potential ticking time bomb situation. Hopefully I'm over-reacting. 

I also hope they don't change their mind in March and decide then that he DOES need surgery.

Archived