• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gettleman Wanted Shurmur as OC in Carolina But Ron Chose Shula

bobsfoodbasics

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Hell, the Browns fired Bill Belichick. That's the ultimate cherry on top of the poo sundae that the Browns are.

True.

Just now, Car123 said:

Shurmur is overrated.

You don't even have a clue who Pat Shurmur is (and please don't bother googling him).

I'm not a fan of Shula and am glad he's gone, but I'm sick of hearing about Shurmur like he's a golden god. Panthers had a crazy 2015 offensive season and for that I am proud and thankful to the players and to Shula. There's nothing to indicate to me that the 2015 offense was a given no matter who was the OC despite people hating on Shula-- he coached well that year.

Here's my Shumur timeline:

Shurmur coached Donovan McNabb under Andy Reid. Who gets the most credit for McNabb? Not Shurmur.

Shurmur coached Sam Bradford in St Louis where he had a good rookie year and has been perpetually injured ever since. Bradford looked promising but lets not pretend like he was competing with elite QBs.

- Despite Bradford looking pretty good as a rookie, the Rams were 26th in offense during Shurmur's time there with Bradford.

- The year prior to Bradford, in 2009 the Rams were 32nd.

Shurmur coached in Cleveland where they sucked.

- Lets also point out that Belichick didn't coach the same Browns organization that other recent coaches did. He coached the Baltimore Ravens basically. Comparing coaches like Shurmur's time with the Browns to Belichick's is an empty platitude.

-Could have come to Panthers here-

Shurmur coaches under Chip Kelly. Who gets the most credit for that offense? Not Shurmur.

Shurmur is OC for Vikings in 2016 has a rank of 23rd and in 2017 has a rank of 10th.

- In 2016 the Panthers were 15th ranked offense

- In 2017 the Panthers were 12th ranked offense

When left to his own devices, where has Shurmur been noticeably better than slightly above average?

He hasn't translated any supposed QB guru strength into elite offense. His best coaching years have come under elite offensive head coaches in Andy Reid and Chip Kelly-- in their primes.

Gettleman may have liked Shurmur for OC, but was for Wilks for HC and apparently was beaten out by ownership. The best people in the Giants organization were Tom Coughlin and Dave Gettleman. I don't think the NY braintrust made an awesome move here at HC.

EDIT: To be clear, the rankings I've listed here are POINTS FOR (that means not yards).  Obtained from https://www.pro-football-reference.com

2 hours ago, Anybodyhome said:

Gee, I remember several years ago when I was advocating for Shurmur as a HC when Fox left...

it could’ve happened if JR shitcanned hurney when fox left instead of letting him hang on for those last two years, and hired gettleman then.

Rankings don't mean jack s--t, especially the total offense and total defense rankings because they're based on yardage, not points.

The Panthers offense being ranked 12th despite the absolute s--t show that it was last year ought to tell you how unreliable that is.

14 minutes ago, Ship said:

He hasn't translated any supposed QB guru strength into elite offense. His best coaching years have come under elite offensive head coaches in Andy Reid and Chip Kelly-- in their primes.

Any semblance of credibility you thought you had left when you defined Chip Kelly as an "elite offensive head coach." If that was the case, why did his illustrious NFL career, complete with the 28-36 W/L record, come to halt after 4 seasons?

Just now, Anybodyhome said:

Any semblance of credibility you thought you had left when you defined Chip Kelly as an "elite offensive head coach." If that was the case, why did his illustrious NFL career, complete with the 28-36 W/L record, come to halt after 4 seasons?

With two different teams.

42 minutes ago, Ship said:

I'm not a fan of Shula and am glad he's gone, but I'm sick of hearing about Shurmur like he's a golden god. Panthers had a crazy 2015 offensive season and for that I am proud and thankful to the players and to Shula. There's nothing to indicate to me that the 2015 offense was a given no matter who was the OC despite people hating on Shula-- he coached well that year.

Here's my Shumur timeline:

Shurmur coached Donovan McNabb under Andy Reid. Who gets the most credit for McNabb? Not Shurmur.

Shurmur coached Sam Bradford in St Louis where he had a good rookie year and has been perpetually injured ever since. Bradford looked promising but lets not pretend like he was competing with elite QBs.

- Despite Bradford looking pretty good as a rookie, the Rams were 26th in offense during Shurmur's time there with Bradford.

- The year prior to Bradford, in 2009 the Rams were 32nd.

Shurmur coached in Cleveland where they sucked.

- Lets also point out that Belichick didn't coach the same Browns organization that other recent coaches did. He coached the Baltimore Ravens basically. Comparing coaches like Shurmur's time with the Browns to Belichick's is an empty platitude.

-Could have come to Panthers here-

Shurmur coaches under Chip Kelly. Who gets the most credit for that offense? Not Shurmur.

Shurmur is OC for Vikings in 2016 has a rank of 23rd and in 2017 has a rank of 10th.

- In 2016 the Panthers were 15th ranked offense

- In 2017 the Panthers were 12th ranked offense

When left to his own devices, where has Shurmur been noticeably better than slightly above average?

Gettleman may have liked Shurmur for OC, but was for Wilks for HC and apparently was beaten out by ownership. The best people in the Giants organization were Tom Coughlin and Dave Gettleman. I don't think the NY braintrust made an awesome move here at HC.

Good post.

49 minutes ago, Ship said:

He coached well except for the most important game of the season the SB. Where he brought nothing new to the game made no adjustments and got bent over by Wade  Phillips 

And I’d say shulas offense looked adequate that year because of Cams MVP performance.

We won that year despite Shula not because of shula 

I’m not advocating for  shurmur  I just can’t stand shula 

44 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Rankings don't mean jack s--t, especially the total offense and total defense rankings because they're based on yardage, not points.

The Panthers offense being ranked 12th despite the absolute s--t show that it was last year ought to tell you how unreliable that is.

Those ranks are based on "points for" not yards.

Archived