• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gym help

Jackofalltrades

As most of you know I had both knees replaced in early June. I have also had 3 back surgeries and have 2 rods and 22 screws in my spine. I haven’t been physically able to run in over 12 years but that ends in 2018. 

I’m looking for your advice on exercises that will help with my atrophy and regaining my strength in my legs, hips, glutes, etc. I don’t think squats are doable yet, but I can do the leg press machine. I have done some light dead lifts and want to continue with those. Form is of the utmost importance as I try to return to some symblance of normalcy. 

Thanks. 

17 minutes ago, Jackofalltrades said:

As most of you know I had both knees replaced in early June. I have also had 3 back surgeries and have 2 rods and 22 screws in my spine. I haven’t been physically able to run in over 12 years but that ends in 2018. 

I’m looking for your advice on exercises that will help with my atrophy and regaining my strength in my legs, hips, glutes, etc. I don’t think squats are doable yet, but I can do the leg press machine. I have done some light dead lifts and want to continue with those. Form is of the utmost importance as I try to return to some symblance of normalcy. 

Thanks. 

In all seriousness, I'd seek professional help with putting together a workout plan. I know there are a lot of gym rats here ho do and swear by differing menus, workout regimens, etc. But the extent and long-term effects of your surgeries suggest that following the recommendation of anyone but a pro might be hazardous to your health.  

I would maybe look to incorporate yoga.  Its a great way to build strength, balance, and flexibility. Yoga is good beacuse it there are almost limitless degrees of doing a pose. You can go as deep into a given pose as you feel comfortable and capable. You do what you can do. You listen to your body.  I think yoga also makes it easy to appreciate improvement.

Thank you. I worked with a personal trainer at my gym and we did a HIIT routine and yoga is on my list. Luckily my kid’s speech pathologist is a certified yoga instructor and we’re suppoes to get together next week. 

My surgeon put not limitations on me but just cautioned to listen to my body. I still have several months of healing to go through but am excited by the prospect of building my core and my legs. I feel like my diet and knees have given me a second chance. I have two young kids and hate not being able to chase them or run around he bases, etc. 

I have no desire to do heavy weights as it’s just not smart with my joints, but I do have expectations that I won’t meet on the couch. I’ve been back in the gym for a few months trying to recover lost lean mass and strength and it has gone pretty well, but I want to shift my focus to strength and stability in the core and legs. 

I appreciate the suggestions. 

31 minutes ago, Uncfan said:

Best thing is to consult with your dr or speak to a trainer , I wouldn't take advice from people on the huddle. It's not worth taking bad advice and getting hurt again. You must diet down first before you start running eat some lean protein with some carbs like brown rice and sweet potato . I hope you do your best and I know you can buddy . Keep pounding !

I’m carb free and limit my protein intake. My doctor told me to do whatever and my PT’s after surgery pretty much said the same. 

Hang in there bro .

As the old saying goes,  it takes one step, followed by another  to get to your destination . 

I agree with the posters that emphasis yoga. No doubt. Also incorporate meditation. Once you get good at it, you can really be in tune with what your body needs. It’s helped me from overtraining , which is a huge reason for injuries in my experience/estimation. 

In addition to that, it helps keep your mind right . Ive has some major injuries myself requiring surgery and as you well know, you gotta keep your mind right. Pain and an inability to do the things you want to do can weigh heavy on your psyche. 

Good luck and Keep us posted . 

On 2/5/2018 at 11:58 AM, Jackofalltrades said:

I have no desire to do heavy weights as it’s just not smart with my joints, but I do have expectations that I won’t meet on the couch. I’ve been back in the gym for a few months trying to recover lost lean mass and strength and it has gone pretty well, but I want to shift my focus to strength and stability in the core and legs. 

I appreciate the suggestions. 

I gave up on heavy weights myself, and just use Resistance Bands for strength (Bodylastics to be specific)

Archived