• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"Bargain" Free Agents we should target.

Catufb85

Yes, i use the term bargain because we all know the history of the Panthers organization, and we aren't the team that goes out and spends a lot of money.  Those days may be behind us now that Gettleman is gone and Hurney has now been officially named GM.  We know Hurney's track record with letting Julius walk the first time and signing D-Will and JStew to huge contracts.  

Here is a list of Free Agents I hope we consider to help fill some holes, replace some roster casualties, etc. 

Running Backs:

Isaiah Crowell Age: 25 853 yards and 2 TD in 2017.  I believe he could be a good younger version of JStew and could fit right in with the scheme. (If JStew is gone)

Jeremy Hill Age: 25 barely used in 2017.  I believe he is still a good back with a lot of miles left in the tank.  Could come cheaper with his production and misuse in 2017.

Wide Receviers:

Marquis Lee Age: 26 702 yards and 3 TDs in 2017.  Could be one of those guys asking for too much.

Cody Latimer Age: 25 287 yards and 2 TDs. Got lost on the Broncos WR depth chart. Was high on this guy coming out but never truly has developed like I thought.

Jeff Janis Age: 26 hardly a state in 2017 but long rangy WR that can help stretch the field.  Has good hands and decent route runner. Poor mans Jordy Nelson.

Offensive Line:

G Josh Kline: if Norwell is let go/walk.  I think Kline could be a good bargain buy with a high ceiling here in Carolina.

Cameron Fleming RT: Played with Patriots this year and most likely will resign.

Defensive Line:

Hoping we resign Peppers for another year.  I can't see us releasing CJ unless he doesn't agree to a pay cut.  Most of the guys on the FA list will want to much. So here I hope we keep our own and build through the draft.

Secondary:

Wish we had the funds to go after David Amerson a hometown NC State product.  Long rangy and aggressive corner who would fit nicely across from Bradberry.

D.J. Hayden

Marcus Williams and Kyle Fuller are on a wish list but will get WAY too much money for our blood.

Ross Cockrell would be a nice bargain chip and think would be an upgrade over Worley.

Pierre Desir is another guy i was high on in the draft but never developed like people though. Another big long range corner would fit in our zone scheme.

2 minutes ago, Catufb85 said:

Defensive Line:

Hoping we resign Peppers for another year.  I can't see us releasing CJ unless he doesn't agree to a pay cut.  Most of the guys on the FA list will want to much. So here I hope we keep our own and build through the draft.

Kareem Martin is a name that stuck out to me here.  Young (25), some production, potentially miscast in Arizona's 34 and because of that would come cheap.

Just now, Untouchable said:

Kareem Martin is a name that stuck out to me here.  Young (25), some production, potentially miscast in Arizona's 34 and because of that would come cheap.

I liked this guy coming out of my favorite school UNC. But was selected i believe (off the top of my head) in the first round.  Has all the physical traits needed in our pass rushing style DEs.  Could be a great homecoming and sometimes changes of  scenery help.  

I'd take Crowell over Hill any day of the week. Hill is terrible, he really is. One decent rookie year that wasn't even spectacular and he hasn't done anything since. He has horrible vision. Would not trust him behind our running scheme. 

Lee is a maybe for me. No to Lattimer. He isn't very good either. 

9 minutes ago, Catufb85 said:

I liked this guy coming out of my favorite school UNC. But was selected i believe (off the top of my head) in the first round.  Has all the physical traits needed in our pass rushing style DEs.  Could be a great homecoming and sometimes changes of  scenery help.  

Mid 3rd, but yeah he does fit the athletic profile of what we look for in a DE.

I'd be looking at him to challenge Horton or Cox for a depth spot.  Assuming Peppers returns and CJ is out.

23 minutes ago, Catufb85 said:

Cody Latimer Age: 25 287 yards and 2 TDs. Got lost on the Broncos WR depth chart. Was high on this guy coming out but never truly has developed like I thought.

It was speculated a few months ago that the Broncos were going to push hard to try to keep him. He hasn't done much at WR (though he's been stuck behind some pretty good ones and with awful QB play to boot) but evidently he's one of the top gunners in the league on special teams. 

15 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Now that's a name to keep an eye on. Local kid and I agree, not at all suited for a 3-4. Young and should come cheap. At worst, he'd be some young competition at a position that needs some young competition.

Archived