• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gano signs 4 yr $17 Million w/ $9 Million Guaranteed

SOJA

1 hour ago, JawnyBlaze said:

I did “pound Gettleman” for it. Didn’t like that signing, don’t like this one. Simply don’t want Gano as our kicker. I’d rather have a revolving door til we can find someone we can trust on 50+ yd field goals. 

You DAMN sure dont want a revolving door at kicker, thats real easy to say in the off season. 

2 hours ago, JawnyBlaze said:

I did “pound Gettleman” for it. Didn’t like that signing, don’t like this one. Simply don’t want Gano as our kicker. I’d rather have a revolving door til we can find someone we can trust on 50+ yd field goals. 

After reading what I posted if you still think that a kicker should be judged on what he does 15% of the time more than the other 85% I guess we will agree to disagree. After suffering through the guys we signed after we let Kasay go, I am fine with Gano.

15 hours ago, panthers55 said:

When Gettleman signed Gano it was for 12.5 million for 4 years. Or 3.1 million a year on a total salary cap of 133 million or 2.3% of the cap. Hurney signs him after a probowl year for 4.25 million on a salary cap of 177 million or roughly 2.4% of the cap. So if people weren't pounding Gettleman in 2014 why pound Hurney now? Given the economics of the salary cap which drives the increase in salaries the salaries are almost exactly the same. You could argue that given Hurney was negotiating with a player with more leverage coming off a probowl season that this contract was actually better than the one Gettleman handed out 4 years ago. Sure the guaranteed money was higher but that is where contracts are going. Look at Cousin's contract which is fully guaranteed supposedly.  Crazy. You either have to pay more and guarantee less or guarantee more and pay less. 

i didn't like it the first time we signed him.

this isn't a hurney vs gettleman debate dude. this is criticism of a bad move. we paid more money than the titans and falcons did for an inferior kicker. they just signed those contracts and we apparently decided not to use them as benchmarks.

Pretty wild to see people hate on a Panther like this. Why is he getting faulted for the distance of his FGs? I don't think he gets to choose those. Or how frequent, also not his call. He had a great year and he's just the most recent kicker to get paid, why are people acting so new?

2 hours ago, nickzz said:

we paid more money than the titans and falcons did for an inferior kicker. they just signed those contracts and we apparently decided not to use them as benchmarks

Interesting statement, would you feel good with a straight up trade with the Succop who made 83.3% of his field goals last year? He also missed 2 extra points and doesn't get nearly as many touch backs(a wee bit over half)

Doesn't sound that great? Nah? Well at least there's still Bryant our savior! At least he's within 10% of our kicker's accuracy last year at 87.2%. He didn't miss an extra point but I guess it's better to leave points on the field in bunches of 3s instead of 1 point at a time? He also doesn't do kickoffs and is 10+ years the elder of the other two.

Yes Gano missed a FG in the playoffs, which definitely blows, but it was in the 1st quarter so I don't believe it was an issue with him not being clutch. I think it's a fine deal and is receiving some oddly harsh criticisms.

32 minutes ago, IAmLost said:

Pretty wild to see people hate on a Panther like this. Why is he getting faulted for the distance of his FGs? I don't think he gets to choose those. Or how frequent, also not his call. He had a great year and he's just the most recent kicker to get paid, why are people acting so new?

Interesting statement, would you feel good with a straight up trade with the Succop who made 83.3% of his field goals last year? He also missed 2 extra points and doesn't get nearly as many touch backs(a wee bit over half)

Doesn't sound that great? Nah? Well at least there's still Bryant our savior! At least he's within 10% of our kicker's accuracy last year at 87.2%. He didn't miss an extra point but I guess it's better to leave points on the field in bunches of 3s instead of 1 point at a time? He also doesn't do kickoffs and is 10+ years the elder of the other two.

Yes Gano missed a FG in the playoffs, which definitely blows, but it was in the 1st quarter so I don't believe it was an issue with him not being clutch. I think it's a fine deal and is receiving some oddly harsh criticisms.

You gotta understand, Hurney is NEVER gonna make the right move in the eyes of his critics.

Trying to debate them is pointless.

5 hours ago, CPF4LIFE said:

You gotta understand, Hurney is NEVER gonna make the right move in the eyes of his critics.

Find the post where I was critical of Hurney cutting Kurt Coleman (who is still at least an "OK" player and is a much better person than he is football player).  Or any of his cuts thus far for that matter.

I'll wait right here.

22 hours ago, panthers55 said:

The whole argument about criticizing the Gano signing because Rivera didn't let him kick beyond 50 yards is really naive. First of all attempts from 50 yards plus made up roughly 14% of all kicks in 2017 (150 out of 1065). On the other hand kicks between the 30 and the 49 accounted for almost 60% of all kicks attempted in the NFL (634 out of 1065). Given that kickers made field goals at a higher percentage between 30-49 then over 50 yards, the importance of 50 yard plus kicks is really overblown. The money kicks are between 30-49 yards which Gano converted all of them. Once again the commentary of a few posters complaining about Gano have totally skewed the facts about what is important in a kicker and what he gets paid to do. If you look at Vinatieri with his 33 game winning field goals, only 5 were over 50 yards while 16 were beyond 40. His average was 37.5 yards.  So once again the money kicks are 30-49 and in 2017 Gano was perfect from that distance. For reference, Gano has 8 game winning kicks with 4 over 40 yards and 2 over 50.

The 2 over 50 how about increasing that number? So is this more a Rivera gripe than Graham?.i have one for him as well. Easy field goals should be made unless there is a bad snap. That' what you are being paid to do it' not like you are playing the whole game. The few times you are called upon should be money.You are missing the point the ones he has missed in the past 3yrs have been in crucial games and moments here lately. That is why many wanted to move on from him. He is average and I cross my fingers everytime or leave the room when he attemts a field goal. He is not money in my mind just average.

20 hours ago, IAmLost said:

fug yea i would trade gano for succop. he's one of the most consistent kickers in the league and set the NFL record for consecutive FGs made inside 50 yards last year. was that a serious question?  gano's FG percentage was good last year because he wasn't trusted to kick from distance. it was also an outlier in his career. he's never been a reliable clutch kicker.

touchbacks... lol

You guys saying Gano doesn’t decide where he kicks from realize that Rivera never had a problem going for 50 yd fgs before this year right? What happened to make that change?  Gano sucked last year and cost us games, that’s what. That’s why Rivera didn’t trust him with long kicks. He didn’t just up and decide “eh fug it. Who needs points. I like watching defense more anyway.  Hurry up and punt.”

Archived