• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers knocked out of bidding war for Ed Dickson

Saca312

P.S. You can be assured that if Dickson had given Carolina a discount and re-signed that Ron "I love washed-up veterans" Rivera would continue to trot his mediocre butt out on that field too.

So, when it comes to this (lack of a) move, GOOD JOB MARTY HURNEY.  One of the biggest weaknesses DG had was to cow-tow to Ron Rivera's love of proven mediocre veterans.  If Marty can change that, then good.

15 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Each year, Ed gave us one game in which he was the difference maker. This past season, it was the 175 yards he pulled out of nowhere that allowed us a grind out a win in Detroit. In 2015 it was a score in a tight game vs the Saints (which we lost by 3 at the end). The year before it was the miracle end zone catch versus the Titans.

He wasn't an every game star, and he wasn't even a star in his best games with us (except maybe that Detroit one where he came in for Olsen), but he made the difference once each year. That's more than you can reasonably ask of a second string guy.  Here's hoping he finds a home out there and he gets a really nice paycheck to go with it. Good luck to him!

Some fans seem to think any player who's not a superstar is just a worthless scrub. Actual NFL talent evaluators don't see it that way.

The guys who do this for a living know that if you're building a team of sixty plus guys, you're not going to have super talented people at every position. That doesn't mean the less talented members of the team don't contribute.

They absolutely do, and on several occasions, Dickson did.

You don't win games by having just two or three good players. Every team has that, even the bad ones. You have to build a complete roster, and failing to pay attention to the lesser known names on that roster is a huge mistake.

seahawksb_logo.gif Seahawks sign TE Ed Dickson (3 years, $14 million): D Grade 
Ed Dickson is so pedestrian that I didn't even give him a write-up in my NFL Free Agent Tight End Rankings. The Seahawks, apparently, think more highly of him, as they gave the former Panther a 3-year, $14 million contract. 

I personally believe that this is too much money for a blocking tight end. That's all Dickson is. He hasn't registered more than 30 receptions in a single season since 2011. He blocks well, but tight ends of his caliber can be found anywhere, including the final rounds of the NFL Draft. Moreover, Dickson turns 31 in July, so he could begin to regress soon. With all of these factors, I have to give the Seahawks a poor grade for this move. 

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/freeagentsigninggrades.php#ixzz59z0Ksuqs

5 hours ago, Moo Daeng said:

There were people giving Hurney grief over giving Kaaya a shot. It was certainly worth the try as Anderson is needing replacement and Webb certainly wasn't the answer.

Problem being Kaaya wasn't very good.

That's kind of like saying we should give him credit for drafting Jimmy Clausen because at least he was trying to get us a franchise quarterback and Matt Moore wasn't the answer.

Archived