• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Claim OT Zach Banner - Was Indy's 2017 4th Round Pick

bobsfoodbasics

3 minutes ago, stbugs said:

No. He was supposed to be good at USC but never materialized or got better. He’s just big, that’s it. He looked awful (like most of the bad OT class last year) at the Senior Bowl. He’s a body and maybe we can make something out of him but if he’s starting that’s really bad news and we’ve had a lot of injuries. 

Basically, Canadian guy again.

Agree with ST.... I remember being intrigued by him during the offseason process. He is a mountain of a human being but not enough talent to back it up. 

For every great play he exhibited, he would get absolutely abused multiple times after. I'd just assume his name is Byron Silatolu.

Analysis

Strengths

Massive man with good upper-body strength. Has length and girth to overwhelm smaller opponents. Able to withstand a bull rush thanks to enormous frame. Powerful road-grader who blasts holes open as down-blocker and generates movement with his base blocks. Leverage not always necessary to produce push at point of attack. Won't find him on the ground much. Decent athlete for his size. Functional combo blocker. Initial kick-slide is fairly smooth. Can make life miserable for pass rushers when he latches strong hands into their frame. Could play right tackle but would need help against edge speed. Balance and redirect are adequate.

Weaknesses

Weight concerns are a huge issue. Has seen weight balloon to 385 pounds. Pass pro is a major concern. Could be too big and bulky to handle NFL edge talent. Lacks athleticism and quickness to recover when beaten. Slower than desired out of stance. Has to open early and lunge to protect the edge in pass pro. Rarely flat-footed at punch, relying on girth over technique. Takes wide route to his target with punch. Doesn't mirror well enough to keep defender from escaping from side door once engaged. Lack of bend and high center of gravity could make move to guard a challenge. Has had issues with penalties during time as starter at USC.

Draft Projection

Rounds 3-4

Sources Tell Us

"He's a really big guy. That's his body type. If he doesn't work his tail off to manage it, there is no doubt his weight will shoot way up again. Everyone is going to write him as a guard but I'm writing him as a tackle. They all have issues. I think we could work around him at tackle." -- Western regional scout from AFC team

NFL Comparison

Trent Brown

Bottom Line

Rare size, but some teams will question whether he can bend enough to be a functional NFL guard. As a tackle, he lacks quickness to consistently protect the passer, and teams might focus too heavily on that shortcoming. Teams who focus on Banner's strength -- drive blocking -- should be rewarded with a starting right guard who is average in pass protection, but who can help turn run creases into running lanes. -Lance Zierlein

4 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Analysis

Strengths

Massive man with good upper-body strength. Has length and girth to overwhelm smaller opponents. Able to withstand a bull rush thanks to enormous frame. Powerful road-grader who blasts holes open as down-blocker and generates movement with his base blocks. Leverage not always necessary to produce push at point of attack. Won't find him on the ground much. Decent athlete for his size. Functional combo blocker. Initial kick-slide is fairly smooth. Can make life miserable for pass rushers when he latches strong hands into their frame. Could play right tackle but would need help against edge speed. Balance and redirect are adequate.

Weaknesses

Weight concerns are a huge issue. Has seen weight balloon to 385 pounds. Pass pro is a major concern. Could be too big and bulky to handle NFL edge talent. Lacks athleticism and quickness to recover when beaten. Slower than desired out of stance. Has to open early and lunge to protect the edge in pass pro. Rarely flat-footed at punch, relying on girth over technique. Takes wide route to his target with punch. Doesn't mirror well enough to keep defender from escaping from side door once engaged. Lack of bend and high center of gravity could make move to guard a challenge. Has had issues with penalties during time as starter at USC.

Draft Projection

Rounds 3-4

Sources Tell Us

"He's a really big guy. That's his body type. If he doesn't work his tail off to manage it, there is no doubt his weight will shoot way up again. Everyone is going to write him as a guard but I'm writing him as a tackle. They all have issues. I think we could work around him at tackle." -- Western regional scout from AFC team

NFL Comparison

Trent Brown

Bottom Line

Rare size, but some teams will question whether he can bend enough to be a functional NFL guard. As a tackle, he lacks quickness to consistently protect the passer, and teams might focus too heavily on that shortcoming. Teams who focus on Banner's strength -- drive blocking -- should be rewarded with a starting right guard who is average in pass protection, but who can help turn run creases into running lanes. -Lance Zierlein

Yup...  I predict we're gonna see what he is at G.

6 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

Yup...  I predict we're gonna see what he is at G.

Yeah, I am with Proudiddy on this. He'd make a monster guard if we can train him up. The guys here who will have a crack at training him turned an undrafted Norwell into the White Buffalo. They also rehabbed Oher's career. 

Maybe, just maybe they can get him to his full potential. If not, we may go broke trying to feed the dude during training camp.

Archived