• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ross Cockrell’s QB Rating In Zone Coverage is...Incredible

Saca312

5 minutes ago, Mikey815 said:

Worley was slow maybe 4.7 slow This Guy is quicker and more proven

If you are talking about Cockrell, I agree that he is a defiant upgrade. I am talking about those folks who have us taking a CB in the 3rd this year. It's like they just expect this 3rd rounder to play better than the last 3rd rounder. I was just wondering why they feel that logic is sound? 

IMO, with the Cockrell signing. CB is probably off our draft board. At least in the 1st 3 rounds. I have to believe that RR, and Hurndog are happy with our 2 CBs right now.

As we stand right now. I believe we can go to war, and be competitive. And I was not expecting that. Especially with the draft still to go. Sure we need a few hits in the draft. But if that happens? We could be really good this year.

Please tell me some of you guys aren't ready to check CB off because we signed Cockrell. It was a good signing. The best we could hope for at this point, but he's a young CB signed to only a two year deal a week and a half into free agency. Not exactly a blue chipper. He's good insurance in case the draft doesn't fall the right way or a highly drafted rookie isn't ready to be a day one starter. But yeah, CB should absolutely still be on the radar. Don't pass on a Josh Jackson because you signed Russ Cockrell.

It's like some of y'all have completely forgotten just how truly horrific our secondary was last year.

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Please tell me some of you guys aren't ready to check CB off because we signed Cockrell. It was a good signing. The best we could hope for at this point, but he's a young CB signed to only a two year deal a week and a half into free agency. Not exactly a blue chipper. He's good insurance in case the draft doesn't fall the right way or a highly drafted rookie isn't ready to be a day one starter. But yeah, CB should absolutely still be on the radar. Don't pass on a Josh Jackson because you signed Russ Cockrell.

It's like some of y'all have completely forgotten just how truly horrific our secondary was last year.

I understand your point. I still think we draft a high CB too, especially if they are there for us. However, I like to look at the objective facts. All the resources I've read point to ratings and stats on Cockrell  to be a solid #2, that's with him on teams with a worse front 7. His stats for 3/3 years on subpar defenses have been solid. I'm not checking that box but my pen is in my hand.

It seems odd to me that Gettleman didn't look to re-sign this guy in N.Y. The player himself - and especially the contract we gave him - practically scream "Dave's bargain bin."

LinvilleGorge is right, though. I think there's a very good chance Cockrell seriously outperforms this deal and emerges as a very solid starter for us, but by no means should we consider our need at CB satisfied, if for no other reason than James Bradberry's performance last year.

Even IF Cockrell becomes a #1 CB for us, he's still only signed for 2 years and there's no guarantee that Bradberry bounces back from his rough sophomore season.

On top of that, nickel isn't a sure bet either. We'd all like to see Corn Elder emerge in year 2 and become a reliable #3, but we haven't even seen him on the field yet and Captain Munnerlynn is no spring chicken these days and didn't exactly end 2017 on the best terms with the coaching staff.

Still, I'm really optimistic about this signing. Not as much about signing Sirles and Searcy, but we'll see how it all plays out.

9 minutes ago, MtnProwler said:

I understand your point. I still think we draft a high CB too, especially if they are there for us. However, I like to look at the objective facts. All the resources I've read point to ratings and stats on Cockrell  to be a solid #2, that's with him on teams with a worse front 7. His stats for 3/3 years on subpar defenses have been solid. I'm not checking that box but my pen is in my hand.

If NFL teams considered him a solid starting CB he wouldn't have lasted a week and a half on the open market. That doesn't mean he can't be that, but it does mean that no one really thinks that's what he is.

2 hours ago, iamhubby1 said:

Yupperz, Ross has a chance to really solidify that CB situation. He is a defiant upgrade over Worley. And at a great value. 

The one thing that puzzles me this year? Folks saying Worley needed to go. Yet they want to replace him with a 3rd round CB. As Worley was a 3rd, I just don't get that. One of those things that make me go "hmm".

The only reason Worley was a 3rd round pick is because Gettleman knew he fuged up when he removed the tag from Norman and then panicked by trying to draft as many CBs as possible to make up for him. Pretty sure no other team was even remotely interested in Worley in the 3rd round.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Hell no. Cockrell is just veteran insurance. CB absolutely should still be on the radar.

We now have 2 solid starters at CB. CB may be on the radar, but it is just a tiny little blip way over there in the corner.

We probably need to upgrade Safety. That is the weak link in the secondary. We need to replace Stewy, which IMO, is also a more dire need than CB. We also need a TE#2. Then maybe we can go after a CB. 

IMO, this team is in good shape, and we are set up nicely for what this draft has to offer. 

48 minutes ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

It seems odd to me that Gettleman didn't look to re-sign this guy in N.Y. The player himself - and especially the contract we gave him - practically scream "Dave's bargain bin."

LinvilleGorge is right, though. I think there's a very good chance Cockrell seriously outperforms this deal and emerges as a very solid starter for us, but by no means should we consider our need at CB satisfied, if for no other reason than James Bradberry's performance last year.

Even IF Cockrell becomes a #1 CB for us, he's still only signed for 2 years and there's no guarantee that Bradberry bounces back from his rough sophomore season.

On top of that, nickel isn't a sure bet either. We'd all like to see Corn Elder emerge in year 2 and become a reliable #3, but we haven't even seen him on the field yet and Captain Munnerlynn is no spring chicken these days and didn't exactly end 2017 on the best terms with the coaching staff.

Still, I'm really optimistic about this signing. Not as much about signing Sirles and Searcy, but we'll see how it all plays out.

I am pretty sure if Gettleman could run a defense with 11 players on the defensive line, he would. He has never cared about keeping anybody good in the secondary and would much rather have guys on 1 year deals for 2 million or less fill the secondary while drafting bums like Vernon Butler in the 1st round and paying bums like Matt Kalil insane contracts.

Archived