• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Where is your confidence level?

iamhubby1

Honestly, I'm not all that optimistic for a number of reasons, #1 being Change.

New O-Coordinator, though it's probably an improvement

New D-Coordinator who's a wildcard but I have some optimisim with,

New ownership moving forward. 

Some of our best players are on the wrong side of 30 and we don't have the best depth to fill those positions moving forward, specifically at DE and along the line.

Our receivers are a giant question mark. Is Funchess a legit #1? Will Samuel heal in time to actually develop as a receiver? Who will we throw out there?

As of before the draft, we have no legitimate starting safety other than a geriatric Mike Adams.

We did not play as good as our record last year. While we sat at 11-5 it sure felt like more of an 8-8 season to me. 

Honestly, I'm not entirely confident in Cam moving forward. He has not been the same since the super bowl. Yes he's been injured, and yes he's missed his offseason workouts to get better, but it could be a sign that the wheels are falling off. He's taken a ton of hits over the years and it could finally be catching up to him in the durability department. 

Last but not least, It's an even year. 

As long as we have Cam, Kuechly, & Ron, we're playoff caliber every year.  

We're getting at least another playmaker at RB or WR this draft and are obviously adding a TE somehow.  

We'll be fine on offense/better relative to last season.  My only concern is the DL underperforming, making a hard job for whoever is in the secondary.  

My take is pretty much like the OP.  11-5 is pretty amazing when you look at who was running the show offensively.  Now we have an Offensive coordinator that will utilize Cam's strengths and improve him as a quarterback. One of the things Norv said after he was hired was getting Cam to get the ball out sooner.  This will not only improve Cam but also the O-Line especially M. Kalil.  Getting the ball out sooner will reduce sacks.  

Offensively

O-Line though we lost Norwell I think we have viable players to fill in his role on the O-Line.  I think we will draft a center early (Ragnow, Price, Daniels) who could play guard and learn from Kalil to start at center in 2019.   Though we might have new names on the O-Line I think we'll be stronger than last year.

TE - Many think Olsen is on the downswing.  I am not one of those who think this.  I think Greg is going to get another 1000 yd season as he fills the Gates role in Turner's offense.  He'll still be Cam's security blanket.  What I do think is we will draft the best available TE that is a good blocker but has very good hands.  I don't believe the 2nd TE will be exclusively for blocking.  

WR- I think with the new additions to our WR Corp I don't believe WR will be a priority in the draft.  We might address it but IMO it won't be till day 3 of the draft.  Funchess excels with a speed receiver on the other side of him and I believe we have plenty of speed already on the roster.

RB- CMC is going to have a great sophomore year under Turner.  I am a bit concerned with CAP as the power back but we can find a RB later if he doesn't pan out.  I also see Armah having a much bigger role in our offense than he did last season.

Defensively

The addition of Poe next to Short is going to interior lines fits.  I think the DE position will be fine by committee and if one of these three Cox, Hall or Obada pan out our DE position will be solid.

LB is not as solid as it used to be.  Luke of course will be Luke and TD will be super inspired after his suspension is up.  Shaq will have to step it up.   Mayo will have a bigger role going at the start of the season.   However, depth concerns me but I don't see us addressing it until day three.

CB will have a new lineup with Worley gone but I believe we have the talent on the roster now.  That said if a top CB is available in round one I believe that is our pick.

Safety I don't see too safe.   Adams and Searcy will probably be our starters but a day 2 Safety would not be a bad pick. 

I think the biggest additions to our team is Washington as DC and Turner as OC.   Turner will make us a very tough team to stop.  Washington I believe will not blitz as much and continue to preach team defense and not have any rouge players doing their own thing.

I am very optimistic about this team and though many teams have really done well in the spring I think when the fall arrives we will be as tough an opponent as any team in the league.

I am not a draft expert but day 1 and 2 I see CB, TE, C, S and day three LB, WR, RB and BPA last pick.

Barring injury I see the Panthers in the playoffs for the 5th time in 6 years.

On 4/14/2018 at 12:41 AM, iamhubby1 said:

Secondly, Value as it pertains to draft picks. Please stop using it. The notion that this player has value, but this one does not, is arbitrary. Value is in the eye of the beholder. If a pick works out, he has great value. If the pick happens to fail, obviously, he has little value. The only value associated with the draft, is the Draft Trade Value Chart. So please, stop with the "He has great value in the 3rd, but I wouldn't take him any earlier" schtick. Mkay? Thanks.

Thanks for the patronising tone. Do you speak like this to everyone? Last time I looked expressing a view on a forum came down to personal opinion. Now, i get that you're a rah rah optimist and that's cool but i reserve my right to not agree with team evaluations whether I am right or wrong.

How is your confidence level looking?

I am confident that the Panthers can be a competitive team. They beat the Patriots and Vikings which is more than the lauded Saints managed. With Cam we have a chance. But by the same token we are streaky and inconsistent. The bears loss was painful. They really didn't show up against the saints. As much as Cam can win any game he also has shockers where he costs us. He was recovering from injury so I will give him the benefit of the doubt, but this year he and the team need to show more consistency. I think its perfectly understandable to have doubts though considering the changes in coaching, ownership and roster turnover.

mixed feelings. my brain says we should go like 11-5 to 14-2 but my heart notices that it is an even year meaning we will go 7-8-1 or worse. assuming cam gets consistent and we have decent wrs, also assuming we have few injuries, this team really isn't much different than the 2015 team assuming we pick up some players in the draft who can just be even mediocre starters at FS and CB. a few ifs, but this is the same very low floor very high ceiling team we have all come to expect. i would write an essay like everyone else but if cam gets those flashes in the pan (vikings, pats, fins, iggles and last saints game) consistent (like 2015) this team will go 13-3 easily. if norv can not have him constantly in 3rd and 12s we'll be great. i just cant convince myself to have expectations for this team coming off a winning season after watching us be so inconsistent.

On 4/14/2018 at 6:49 PM, Cracka McNasty said:

Honestly, I'm not entirely confident in Cam moving forward. He has not been the same since the super bowl. Yes he's been injured, and yes he's missed his offseason workouts to get better, but it could be a sign that the wheels are falling off. He's taken a ton of hits over the years and it could finally be catching up to him in the durability department. 

I understand where you are coming from bu re-watch the Minn game, New England, Detriot, or the last NO game ... A healthy cam is dangerous. He may be getting slower but he is mos def a threat in this league. Enjoy these last 2-3 years. 

• 3 weeks later...

Bringing this one back from the dead.

Confidence is way up after the Anderson signing.

Offense: Now has the tools to play with anyone. I realize we still have concerns at OL but we've made some good moves to create competition, to put the best available player in the right positions. Rushing should be top 5 in the league with Cam, CMC, Anderson, and CAP. Passing should be top 15 due to additions of Moore and Smith, a healthy Olsen, and most importantly the help of the rushing game. I still have a concern for a QB#2.

Deffense: gets back into the top 5 due to increase offensive efficiency, better CB play, and Poe. The biggest concern remains at Safety, we brought in the Coleman replacement and drafted one that needs time to be ready, that doesn't leave much for depth, competition, and improvement this year. I hope we sign another Safety for this reason, doesn't even need to be a big name just one for competition and depth.

FA: A (add a S and a QB#2 and this gets to A+)

Draft: B (I've upgraded the grade due to the signing of Anderson, as if this happened to be the plan all along.)

Overall: A-, I would happily give it an A+ if we can bring in another S/QB#2. Thus far, I'm expecting a 10+ win and an NFCS Championship type of season. So much health and cohesiveness has to play out for me to expect any higher.

On 4/14/2018 at 6:49 PM, Cracka McNasty said:

Honestly, I'm not all that optimistic for a number of reasons, #1 being Change.

New O-Coordinator, though it's probably an improvement

New D-Coordinator who's a wildcard but I have some optimisim with,

New ownership moving forward. 

Some of our best players are on the wrong side of 30 and we don't have the best depth to fill those positions moving forward, specifically at DE and along the line.

Our receivers are a giant question mark. Is Funchess a legit #1? Will Samuel heal in time to actually develop as a receiver? Who will we throw out there?

As of before the draft, we have no legitimate starting safety other than a geriatric Mike Adams.

We did not play as good as our record last year. While we sat at 11-5 it sure felt like more of an 8-8 season to me. 

we are going to have a great year and make the playoffs...10-6 ,11-5 range

Some general statements"

1. I am not sure that we know how good Cam can be yet--with a solid running game behind him and some weaponry on the outside, the only question mark is the left side of the line.  Kalil loses MILLIONS if he sucks this year, and Moton is a better G than T.  I think this offense could be special under Norv Turner.In

2. The defensive secondary will feature Gaulden sooner and not later.  He is smart and versatile.  Jackson will have some mammoth assignments, but if he can hold his own, the domino effect prevents Bradberry from becoming a matchup nightmare and Cockrell is so much better than Worley.  I expect to see Corn Elder playing a role as well.

3.  Finally, I am most interested to see the defensive line perform.  Haynes and Hall in particular--they have little to no expectations from most people--but Poe is going to be fun to watch as well.  I think Haynes could be the steal of the draft in the fifth round, but not for a year or two.

If you have an elite qb, you are in the hunt.  Cam may have just been given the tools to become elite.  He will have better coaching, better play calling, and better personnel.    I do not get how we should not expect to be better--I am guessing that we are in the NFC title game.

Archived