• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who will be the most successful QB of of this draft?

So aside from who the Panthers are drafting this year, the next most interesting story in this draft for me is where the top 4 QBs go and how successful they will be.

Here’s my order based on their talent and how successfully I think they can transition to the pros:

1. Josh Rosen

Plus: Simply the best and most consistent passer in the group. Smart enough to know he needs to go somewhere with a “modern” coaching group that will understand how to motivate him and coach him up. Also think he’s playing the game a bit to not be drafted by the Browns or Jets, but don’t think they’re fooled so I expect he’s going 1 - 3.

Negative: Could end up over thinking the position and his game, I think that’s the biggest fear coaches have with him. It’s not the ‘millennial’ and ‘liberal’ tags that worry teams, but the fact that if he overthinks the position he could be slow to learn to play fast.

2. Sam Darnold

Plus: poster-boy, young, Proto-body, coaches dream (scouts nightmare?). Definitely a promising prospect based on his 2017 season. Accurate, mobile and brave. A lot going for him.

Negatives:

Confidence, turnovers and only really one season to scout. He was in a bubble at USC which really built his confidence. Given his age and experience, he will struggle if he’s asked to start too early.

3. Josh Allen

Plus: big arm, big, confident guy, I believe is the natural pick for any team that doesn’t have the balls to pick Rosen. He throws the ball like Cam, in that he has the arm strength to recover from being under pressure or having a bad base. Did well in a programme with very little supporting talent.

Negatives: inconsistent, can be inaccurate because of poor footwork. He throws the ball like Cam, can stick on a route and find his body out of position to make the short yard underneath throws so tends to look downfield too much. Doesn’t have the athleticism to recover with his legs.

4. Baker Mayfield/Lamar Jackson

In the same bracket as a) I can’t be bothered to do a full write up and b) they both have unique styles that make them hard to grade.

Jackson is by far the most physically gifted in the group, but ultimately lacks the footwork and quick release that will lead him to be overlooked by most teams. If he goes to the right place, has easy comparison Vick talent.

Mayfield is literally the opposite, Brees-lite, with the chip on his shoulder and a very good short field passer and looping deep ball. Again will come down to fit as to whether he becomes Chargers Brees vs Saint Breesus Molerace.

Rosen, Mayfield, and Jackson will succeed. Darnold should succeed but for whatever reason my instinct is shouting at me that he ends up as a solid career backup. (No reasoning at all, pure coaching instinct.) Allen is Christian Hackenberg - can't wait for the dumbf*ck Browns to take him. If any of the the other four falls (highly doubt that), we should go ahead and grab him.

Allen has a low percentage and a low yards per attempt.  If you want to compare him to Cam, well Cam completed 66.1% of his passes in college with a  10.2 average YPA.  That's against SEC competition, and it came with a Championship.  Allen is 56.2 and 7.8, and that's against inferior competition.  This past year he was at only 6.2 YPA.  Christian Hackenberg is his ceiling--If he didn't have a Jamarcus Russell arm then people would be talking about him as a day three project.

Mayfield just wins.  He's going to have a career like Case Keenum without the right coaching.  Unfortunately, he's going to go to the Jets where he will be pressured to start early and end up wrecked.

Jackson has never impressed me, but he's got enough talent that he should make it in the NFL.  Like DeShaun Watson, he will fall in the draft to around the middle of the first round, where he will likely end up a Bill, or if he's really lucky, a Cardinal.  If he ends up in Arizona, I expect him to do well after sitting behind Bradford for a year.

As far as Arnold and Rosen, I'm just glad we have our franchise QB and aren't looking for one this year.  They will both probably be ok as starters, but I don't see any star qualities in either.

Nic Shimonek- because he has a cool name. He did pass for 33 TD's and almost 4000 yds last season.

Who the hell knows with QBs like Brady and Prescott coming out of the lower rounds and playing like #1 picks, while guys like Russell, Leaf, and other 1st round picks became big busts. 

Archived