• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

DJ vs OBJ - Combine / Field Translation Talk

SetfreexX

DJ Moore - 6' / 210 lbs- Prospect Grade 5.86 / 40 time - 4.42 / 15 reps / 39.5 in vertical 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/d.j.-moore?id=32462018-0002-5602-31ed-ce270f370fe4

OBJ-  5'11 / 198 lbs -Prospect Grade 5.9 / 40 time - 4.43 / 7 reps / 38.5 in vertical 

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/odell-beckham?id=2543496

Even down to the strengths / weakness / overviews things compared very similarly, there's been a lot of talk about what Moore, may, or may not become, there's been a lot of questions about his route running and even people here calling him a ''scat back''. 

However if you think about most of OBJ's receptions they are the same ''lay up'' type completions we're looking to add to the offense for Cam, where the completion is a bit easier, and we allow the route combinations / route combinations / spacing to create room for YAC. 

When you look at our picks on offense in the last two years all three of the offensive skill players possess, elite grades coming into the NFL from college YAC. SO while OBJ made him name with the ''catch'' the bread and butter is how quick he gets open on the shallower routes, and how he's got the speed to take it the distance. 

I think Moore favors well in that department year one, with PLENTY of room to develop further. 

Its interesting because Gettlement had a very different view on OBJs route running. Thought he was the best in his class at it and " Beckham is the only rookie receiver who doesn't need route work entering the NFL. ". I hope that means that Moore's routes are better then the arm chair scouts think. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000352617/article/gettleman-odell-beckham-drafts-best-route-runner

Odell was a more polished route runner. Odell had longer arms and bigger hands. My biggest concern with DJ Moore is weather or not he can win downfield and turn 50/50 balls into 70/30. That would make him special. 

I have no doubt he can catch the ball in space underneath and get a few YAC. 

Only difference, and it's a big one, is Moore's rawness as a total route runner. Odell was already a master of every route coming out of college. If Moore can learn fast and we can develop him well then Moore has that upside and that's what I like about the pick. However as far as contributing this year Ridley is more pro ready to contribute in year 1 so that was the argument for him. Moore definitely the highest upside by far in this draft and I'm excited to see what we can do with him. Could finally have our Smitty replacement, just as he said.

Another thing, look at the 3-cone... Beckham's is ridiculous and that agility is his biggest strength by far, including within his route running. Moore doesn't have that, but he's way tougher than Beckham.

8 minutes ago, KendrickPanther said:

Odell was a more polished route runner. Odell had longer arms and bigger hands. My biggest concern with DJ Moore is weather or not he can win downfield and turn 50/50 balls into 70/30. That would make him special. 

I have no doubt he can catch the ball in space underneath and get a few YAC. 

He can be special the same way he was in college. If it aint broke don't fix it. Our offense is screaming for a WR who can get screens and slants the dink and dunk 5/10 yards routes and break them for 20+. Cmac can do it but he is a rb. Moore is exactly what we need. Leave the go routes for the speed guys Torrey/Samuel/Byrd. Eventually Moore will grow into a better route runner, but knowing Ron/Norv they will use this kid to his strengths. I got a feeling he is going to be Cam's favorite dependable target. Yes even over Olsen.

6 minutes ago, ARSEN said:

Ridley is more similar to Odell than DJ. DJ is just s physical freak like Steve Smith.

I had no idea his combine numbers were better than OBJ. That is saying a lot considering how explosive OBJ is as an athlete. If his hands are legit, we could have something special brewing in Carolina. We are due another star WR especially while Cam is still in his prime.

I like the pick but you can find plenty of receivers with similar measurables who washed out of the league. WRs with great physical atrributes get picked high every year and bust so just because he's close to OBJ in his means nothing. 

Archived