• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Solo

cookinwithgas

I and my oldest went to see it Saturday.

I thought it was really good. I'd put it as better than The Last Jedi, but not as good as Rogue One, both of which I seemed to like a whole lot more than a lot of people.

The guy playing Han did a good job. Some scenes even had an Indiana Jones feel, so I think he nailed the character/actor.

I purposely shied away from this thread and reviews beforehand. I think it is hilarious that some people are triggered by a women's/social justice robot and the thought that someone could be emotionally attached to artificial intelligence.

Like, out of all the good and bad things to critique in a movie and you pick that? LOL

It is a Star Wars film, which is still better than most of the things coming out today. I'll admit that I'm not as up on non-OT or other non-film canon as I'd like to be, so the Darth Maul stuff was a pleasant surprise.

We saw a 2:10 showing at a theater that never has more than a dozen people at that time for new movies. There were at least 75 people in there with us, more than half of which clapped at the end. I rarely see that happen anymore, so they did something right.

ESB, TFA, RO, ANH, SOLO, TLJ, ROTJ, ROTS, AOTC, TPM

11 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Saw it tonight.  Not bad, pretty simple and straightforward plot, plenty of action.  I liked Rogue One better, but this one was entertaining.  

It wasn't quite as good as Rogue One, but then again I think RO was the best Star Wars movie to date...

I was afraid they'd really screw up Han as a character with this, a movie that I didn't think need to be made in the first place, but to me they managed to add to the character and not detract from it.

Disney has much more of a free hand (or at least that's how it comes across to me) with these anthology films than with the sequel films.

I think they're trying to do two incompatible things with the sequels, stay true to the original trilogy AND make it different and "new" and they aren't doing a good job imo.

If they're smart after IX is complete, they'll move completely away from the original timeline and go far into the past or future with any new trilogies.

If only they would do an "adult" Darth Vader movie.  *sigh*

Saw it yesterday.  

I enjoyed it.  It was non stop and no real dull moments.  Gives you some back story to han and chewy,  why han is the way he is and what not.  

The deal with maul is awesome after doing a little research.  I just stuck to the movies and not the shows or comics.  So evidently maul survived the obi wan fight and one thing lead to another and he basically became an underground crime lord.  fuging awesome.  Hopefully the next movie goes more into that.  If they will not give us a Vader movie,  a Darth maul spin off would be a nice consolation.  I have always thought the story line of the dark side was much more interesting and compelling.

Saw it yesterday. I liked it a lot. I thought there was quite a bit that they got right about developing Han. Donald Glover was spot on as Lando. He even sounded like him. I literally thought it was Billy D speaking somehoew at certain points. He did a great job. Chewie was fantastic. Han speaking wookie was a bit much but whatever. I've seen all the cartoons so I was pleasantly surprised and not confused when Darth Maul showed up. However, Maul and Han can't exist in the same space in future movies because Han's skepticism in A New Hope about mumbo jumbo wouldn't exist if he saw Maul in action prior to that. So not sure how they navigate that but I'm excited to see where they take Maul. They got the same actor to play him as in Phantom Menace but the voice was the guy from the cartoons...which is much better. Maul in the cartoons is very smart, manipulative and even charasmatic...and very mad at Kenobi. Weaving Maul into a potential Kenobi movie would be perfect. There's a lot that can be done as the cartoons treated Maul as an actual interesting character.

Back to Solo, it wasn't super complicated, so there wasn't a whole lot to screw up. I thought the L3 stuff was interesting and the ensuing riot fun. I went in with simply the expectation to be entertained. I had big issues with the Last Jedi and it has dampened my expecatations for all things Star Wars. And perhaps that's a good thing. So I liked it and didn't feel the need to obsess over it. It was fun entertainment with an awesome twist at the end.

I saw it last night and found it to be one of the more enjoyable Star Wars movies. That's coming from a guy that has watched every Star Wars movie made in the theater when they came out but never again since, has never read on the subject, and is more times than not confused by the timeline of what I am watching nowadays. Also, for some reason I remember a lot about the original Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi but little to nothing of the movies that came out since then. 

I first will say I can't agree with some on here about Rebel One being the best star wars yet. Didn't even make my top 3, and if it wasn't for the droid K2SO, would have been a very forgettable film. 

Saw Solo last night, and really enjoyed it, and yet another droid with sass. Gotta love it.  I always have guarded expectations with movies. After all, they are there for entertainment, if they do that, then most is well. 

I enjoyed Solo much more than I thought I would.  I'm not big into rating the movies, but I certainly enjoyed it more than Rebel One. 

I am the minority and not bitching but kinda still pissed about Last Jedi and Disney wont get anymore money outta me (well not crazy theater money).  Makes me sick to see them further dice up Star Wars into money pits.

This was the weakest of the new movies, but I still enjoyed it. It seemed apparent that the movie had to be re-shot a lot, because the story seemed disjointed at times.  It seemed like they couldn’t decide where to end the movie. Very revenge of the sith-like in that way.

Saw it again yesterday and also did some background reading, and the amount of "legacy" stuff in the movie is quite large. Look for Xims death head (Han Solo and the Lost Legacy) and a Sith holocron (Why didn't Maul demand this one?) among other things in Dryden Vos' suite. Lando makes many mentions of the adventures covered in his (bad) series of books and he also had an odd droid in those named Vuffi Raa. I was thinking that Chewies leaving the Wookiees on Kessel was not really logical; did they have a means of escape? The overlords seemed to be taking back the facility as they were leaving, and an Imperial blockade had already arrived....and even in 2D there were too many murkily shot scenes (although the first few minutes kind of needed to be that way to make Hans rock more effective). I am beginning to see why Laird and Miller were going for more of a lighthearted trip, and also why Disney might have started to freak a bit about that.

Why would Maul need to ignite his lightsaber during that conversation other than to show he has a lightsaber? That connection is useless and distracting. Even if it's just a setup for something else, which I assume is going to be a tie in to the Kenobi movie they are making since it should be about the same time frame or just a bit later. We really don't need to Marvelize this stuff.

I should repeat that I still enjoyed this movie, and the twists involving the various characters were entertaining and mostly logical.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2018 at 8:21 AM, cookinwithgas said:

Saw it again yesterday and also did some background reading, and the amount of "legacy" stuff in the movie is quite large. Look for Xims death head (Han Solo and the Lost Legacy) and a Sith holocron (Why didn't Maul demand this one?) among other things in Dryden Vos' suite. Lando makes many mentions of the adventures covered in his (bad) series of books and he also had an odd droid in those named Vuffi Raa. I was thinking that Chewies leaving the Wookiees on Kessel was not really logical; did they have a means of escape? The overlords seemed to be taking back the facility as they were leaving, and an Imperial blockade had already arrived....and even in 2D there were too many murkily shot scenes (although the first few minutes kind of needed to be that way to make Hans rock more effective). I am beginning to see why Laird and Miller were going for more of a lighthearted trip, and also why Disney might have started to freak a bit about that.

Why would Maul need to ignite his lightsaber during that conversation other than to show he has a lightsaber? That connection is useless and distracting. Even if it's just a setup for something else, which I assume is going to be a tie in to the Kenobi movie they are making since it should be about the same time frame or just a bit later. We really don't need to Marvelize this stuff.

I should repeat that I still enjoyed this movie, and the twists involving the various characters were entertaining and mostly logical.

The Maul teaser was definitely a set up for the Kenobi movie. 

These are the anaolgy movies. They are part of the larger world and story already. Calling it marvelized makes it seem like any other franchise can’t have a universe where different things happen. 

The maul vs kenobi story is definitely something that should be explores

To me that story ended at the end of Ep 1 - although getting rid of Mail so early was a mistake in hindsight, the battle between the three of them was probably the best lightsaber fight ever staged, although I am a big fan of the Last Jedi fight. But hey you kids fan fun with it, it’s yours aside from Rogue One and most of this movie. While I think I’ll always appreciate the new trilogy fine despite disagreements, it won’t be like the Trek reboot movies where the more I see them the less I appreciate the updating (although the opening Kelvin sequence was imho one of the great Trek dramatic sequences). 

I do get pretty bent out of shape that these people are all going to have these connections pop up all the time despite it being an entire galaxy of planets, to set up ah ha moments in later movies. Looking forward to Rian Johnson’s unrelated Star Wars movies despite my growing discontent about the Last Jedi. Rather have something new now since all the old group is dead except for the robots and maybe Lando.

Archived