• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Any Chance Texans Would Trade Clowney?

Soul Rebel

22 minutes ago, The NFL Shield At Midfield said:

surely an unbiased take

I'm just tired of that lazy narrative that Clowney was drafted #1 overall because of one play. I mean, there were debates about whether he should play college football at all coming out of high school because he was already a lock for #1 in 3 years.

Now if the argument was about his health, that's an entirely different story.

44 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This dude is still living off the hype of hitting a Michigan RB really hard. Unreal.

What? I think he was the highest ranked recruit EVER coming out high school. 

He's the one player I can remember being the #1 recruit out of high school AND the #1 overall player coming out of college (1st pick of the draft).

I would love to see him in a panther uniform, but you obviously don't trade a bunch of future draft picks for anyone.

Just now, USC/panthers_11 said:

What? I think he was the highest ranked recruit EVER coming out high school. 

He's the one player I can remember being the #1 recruit out of high school AND the #1 overall player coming out of college (1st pick of the draft).

I would love to see him in a panther uniform, but you obviously don't trade a bunch of future draft picks for anyone.

That's my point. Everything about Clowney is almost entirely based on hype and potential, but what has he actually DONE? Four years after being picked #1 overall, he has 20 total sacks. Everyone remembers all the hype and that one time when he hit a Michigan RB really hard but his NFL career has been underwhelming at best. Hell, even going all the way back to college he only has one double digit sack season after graduating high school. Yes, injuries have played a big role in that bit but last year when he was healthy he racked up 40 tackles and 9.5 sacks. Not bad, but not all that good for a former #1 overall pick in his 4th season either. Addison had 44 tackles and 11 sacks last season.

The Texans fell into the hype/potential trap with Clowney and took him #1 despite his underwhelming 8 sacks in his final season at South Carolina and some pass rush desperate team is probably going to ignore his injury history and subpar performance and pay him way more than they should bwecause he's 6'6" 270 pounds and a freak of an athlete.

Honestly I think it would be time to get him. I feel like he's shadowed and undervalued in Houston. 

He is a elite rare talent that is GAMECHANGING. I think he would thrive back home in Carolina. He is for sure a 4-3 and people think he's just a pass rusher.. he's incredible at the run. He is so quick at getting in the backfield. Which is what we need. Were lucky Addison has been able to stay with us because he's a very poor mans clowney in the way he can play both rush and pass.

With all the recent picks and off season money and none of them come close to the type of player Clowney is. CMC is really the only recent get for us that is franchise changing type player.

We have this thin veil that we don't even think about our D line because its been good for a while. We beg peppers to play but the dude is probably going to quit after this year. Addison is in his 30s. Hall didnt work out. Haynes is a small guy and really only a situation pass rusher. So were going to have to find someone this offseason. Sadly it will probably be another 1 year end of career vet or overpay some average guy.

Clowney being on the team is completely upping our chances toward the playoffs. Most times when we lose vs division teams we don't pressure them. Give Matt Ryan and Brees the confidence that they don't worry about someone jumping over their LT and steamrolling them isn't a great idea.

We hit maybe 1 or 2 picks worth anything in the draft anyway. I doubt we will have as high of a pick as we did when we got CMC in a couple of years. Meaning we don't get that top 10 players that can change teams for the better.

I think people on here think it would take way more than it actually would to get him. Im sorry but we won't find a clowney in the draft for another decade. I doubt we will even have a chance at top 3 pick as long as we have Cam and Luke.

31 minutes ago, Immortal said:

Honestly I think it would be time to get him. I feel like he's shadowed and undervalued in Houston. 

He is a elite rare talent that is GAMECHANGING. I think he would thrive back home in Carolina. He is for sure a 4-3 and people think he's just a pass rusher.. he's incredible at the run. He is so quick at getting in the backfield. Which is what we need. Were lucky Addison has been able to stay with us because he's a very poor mans clowney in the way he can play both rush and pass.

With all the recent picks and off season money and none of them come close to the type of player Clowney is. CMC is really the only recent get for us that is franchise changing type player.

We have this thin veil that we don't even think about our D line because its been good for a while. We beg peppers to play but the dude is probably going to quit after this year. Addison is in his 30s. Hall didnt work out. Haynes is a small guy and really only a situation pass rusher. So were going to have to find someone this offseason. Sadly it will probably be another 1 year end of career vet or overpay some average guy.

Clowney being on the team is completely upping our chances toward the playoffs. Most times when we lose vs division teams we don't pressure them. Give Matt Ryan and Brees the confidence that they don't worry about someone jumping over their LT and steamrolling them isn't a great idea.

We hit maybe 1 or 2 picks worth anything in the draft anyway. I doubt we will have as high of a pick as we did when we got CMC in a couple of years. Meaning we don't get that top 10 players that can change teams for the better.

I think people on here think it would take way more than it actually would to get him. Im sorry but we won't find a clowney in the draft for another decade. I doubt we will even have a chance at top 3 pick as long as we have Cam and Luke.

There will be a bunch of pass rushers drafted in the next decade that surpass Clowney if the rest of his career goes like the first four seasons. There have been a bunch already in the past four years.

Clowney was a generational type talent, but he's been a pedestrian player and that's been true of every season he's had since he graduated HS except for his second college season. The other seven combined seasons? Hurt or underwhelming.

31 minutes ago, Immortal said:

PS he's better than Myles Garrett and any recent DE within what the past decade?

This is pure comedy. 20 sacks in four seasons. One double digit sack season since he graduated HS, none in the NFL.

Tons of talent, but he's fragile and he's just not that great at football.

But hey, he sure looks the part and he had great workouts, oh and don't forget... he hit that Michigan RB really hard!

2 hours ago, GamecockSmitty4 said:

I'm just tired of that lazy narrative that Clowney was drafted #1 overall because of one play. I mean, there were debates about whether he should play college football at all coming out of high school because he was already a lock for #1 in 3 years.

Now if the argument was about his health, that's an entirely different story.

It was an exaggeration. The guy WAS drafted primarily on hype and potential though.

He's had one standout season in the seven years since he graduated HS. The guy is a pure hype train. Time to forget the myth and accept the reality. He's usually hurt and even when healthy he's good but far from great. 

Mario Addison is a better football player. Straight up.

Archived