• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Any Chance Texans Would Trade Clowney?

Soul Rebel

29 minutes ago, Snake said:

We could have just signed Mack and got 2x the player. 

Just signed him? The Bears gave up two 1st round picks for the right to sign Mack to the biggest contract for a defensive player in NFL history.

I know it looks good right now with Mack tearing it up, but we won't know how this story ultimately plays out for several years. For quite awhile, it looked like the Chargers had fleeced the Giants in that Eli trade, but now Eli and the Giants won two Super Bowls together while Rivers and the Chargers have only made it past the divisional round once.

41 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Just signed him? The Bears gave up two 1st round picks for the right to sign Mack to the biggest contract for a defensive player in NFL history.

I know it looks good right now with Mack tearing it up, but we won't know how this story ultimately plays out for several years. For quite awhile, it looked like the Chargers had fleeced the Giants in that Eli trade, but now Eli and the Giants won two Super Bowls together while Rivers and the Chargers have only made it past the divisional round once.

Can you really say Eli is a better QB than Rivers? Super bowls are a whole team effort and while Eli has hardware it was his supporting cast that got him there. I was merely saying if we were going to trade a 1st or two might as well have a DE who is proven and a monster. 

9 minutes ago, Snake said:

Can you really say Eli is a better QB than Rivers? Super bowls are a whole team effort and while Eli has hardware it was his supporting cast that got him there. I was merely saying if we were going to trade a 1st or two might as well have a DE who is proven and a monster. 

Rings are rings and Eli played out of his damn mind in the playoffs in both of those years. I don't think the Giants regret that trade in the least.

12 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

That's my point. Everything about Clowney is almost entirely based on hype and potential, but what has he actually DONE? Four years after being picked #1 overall, he has 20 total sacks. Everyone remembers all the hype and that one time when he hit a Michigan RB really hard but his NFL career has been underwhelming at best. Hell, even going all the way back to college he only has one double digit sack season after graduating high school. Yes, injuries have played a big role in that bit but last year when he was healthy he racked up 40 tackles and 9.5 sacks. Not bad, but not all that good for a former #1 overall pick in his 4th season either. Addison had 44 tackles and 11 sacks last season.

The Texans fell into the hype/potential trap with Clowney and took him #1 despite his underwhelming 8 sacks in his final season at South Carolina and some pass rush desperate team is probably going to ignore his injury history and subpar performance and pay him way more than they should bwecause he's 6'6" 270 pounds and a freak of an athlete.

The film room guy did a great breakdown of Clowney this offseason if you are interested

TLDW

He does more than just get sacks which aren't the end all be all of what a DE in a 3-4 does. Plays the run well and is playing smart. 

I'd love to have him on the panthers. 

1. Don't know why people keep saying "We don't have the money" - we will be in the top 10 of money available this offseason.

2. We'd be idiots to trade for this oft-injured player - who has hit his ceiling.

3. If we want DE talent, draft it. DE's command just as much money as QB's. The market will have his price tag in the 16-20 million range, when really i wouldn't give him more than 10.

4. If I read this thread correctly.. some people think "our DE's wont hold up for the season, so we need to trade for this guy." - Do we have different DEs than we have had over the last 3 seasons? Did they fail to hold up? Smh.

13 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

That's my point. Everything about Clowney is almost entirely based on hype and potential, but what has he actually DONE? Four years after being picked #1 overall, he has 20 total sacks. Everyone remembers all the hype and that one time when he hit a Michigan RB really hard but his NFL career has been underwhelming at best. Hell, even going all the way back to college he only has one double digit sack season after graduating high school. Yes, injuries have played a big role in that bit but last year when he was healthy he racked up 40 tackles and 9.5 sacks. Not bad, but not all that good for a former #1 overall pick in his 4th season either. Addison had 44 tackles and 11 sacks last season.

The Texans fell into the hype/potential trap with Clowney and took him #1 despite his underwhelming 8 sacks in his final season at South Carolina and some pass rush desperate team is probably going to ignore his injury history and subpar performance and pay him way more than they should bwecause he's 6'6" 270 pounds and a freak of an athlete.

Clowney has 37 TFL in the last 2 years. Pretty big stat you’re ignoring. 

I’ll say again, we need to keep the bills on speed dial, add the Texans to that list if they lose Sunday. We need to trade a 3rd or 4th rounder for a adequate safety, I can’t imagine this team making a deep run with Adams and searcy(when healthy) at safety.

as for clowney, I wouldn’t give up a 1st, a 2nd, sure but this is solely based on the fact we’d have a contract worked out. I’d still keep and eye on sea and Earl Thomas, one more loss away from being in rebuild mode also 

Archived